Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moisture on outside walls

My daughter's new house has a 4 ft. wide wall in the garage, and the
wall above her front door entry both get condensate on them when it is
cold. Is this an indication there is no vapor barrier there, or no
insulation, or both? This doesn't show up anywhere else in the
house. She does run a humidifier on furnace at 25%.
Posted to alt.home.repair

woods wrote:
My daughter's new house has a 4 ft. wide wall in the garage, and the
wall above her front door entry both get condensate on them when it is
cold. Is this an indication there is no vapor barrier there, or no
insulation, or both? This doesn't show up anywhere else in the
house. She does run a humidifier on furnace at 25%.

It indicates those walls are cold, indicating lack of insulation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
woods wrote:
My daughter's new house has a 4 ft. wide wall in the garage, and the
wall above her front door entry both get condensate on them when it is
cold. Is this an indication there is no vapor barrier there, or no
insulation, or both? This doesn't show up anywhere else in the
house. She does run a humidifier on furnace at 25%.

It indicates those walls are cold, indicating lack of insulation.

I agree...open them up and insulate...HTH...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 8, 11:36*am, woods wrote:
My daughter's new house has a 4 ft. wide wall in the garage, and the
wall above her front door entry both get condensate on them when it is
cold. *Is this an indication there is no vapor barrier there, or no
insulation, or both? *This doesn't show up anywhere else in the
house. *She does run a humidifier on furnace at 25%.

Call the builder back to finish the job right and put in the missing
insulation. And with a screw up like that, better have the house
inspected to see what other corners he cut and hid. And while you are
at it, retain a really mean lawyer, because you will need one.
Meanwhile, start taking photos of all the condensation and other
suspicious signs that all is not as it should be. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

woods wrote:
My daughter's new house has a 4 ft. wide wall in the garage, and the
wall above her front door entry both get condensate on them when it is
cold. Is this an indication there is no vapor barrier there, or no
insulation, or both? This doesn't show up anywhere else in the
house. She does run a humidifier on furnace at 25%.

Hi,
Sounds like a poor insulation/vapor barrier or air leakage.
RH setting depends on outside temp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 12:01*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
woods wrote:
My daughter's new house has a 4 ft. wide wall in the garage, and the
wall above her front door entry both get condensate on them when it is
cold. *Is this an indication there is no vapor barrier there, or no
insulation, or both? *This doesn't show up anywhere else in the
house. *She does run a humidifier on furnace at 25%.

Hi,
Sounds like a poor insulation/vapor barrier or air leakage.
RH setting depends on outside temp.

The condensation is most likely warm house air vapour condensing on
the first cold surface it reaches. Which could be a painted cold
surface, cold window etc. cool water pipes, poorly insulated outside
door etc.

Sounds like a lack of insulation in that wall? Something wrong
somewhere. Read up on insulation and vapour barriers, in order to talk
knowledgeably with contractors/inspectors etc.

Insulation should have vapour barrier on it 'warm side' unless, say,
it's the type of foam that provides it's own vapour barrier. Th reason
being to prevent warm and therfore inherently more moist house air
from permeating into the wall, condensing in there and soaking the
wall and any insulation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:
On Feb 9, 12:01 am, Tony wrote:
woods wrote:
[...]

As a one time expensie, one can have a energy audio done for the whole
house and owner will know exactly what to do to make the house air
tight. My house was built per R-2000 spec. Cost little more but it is
warm in winter, cool in summer. I save on energy cost by the substantial
amount.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 12:36�pm, woods wrote:
My daughter's new house has a 4 ft. wide wall in the garage, and the
wall above her front door entry both get condensate on them when it is
cold. �Is this an indication there is no vapor barrier there, or no
insulation, or both? �This doesn't show up anywhere else in the
house. �She does run a humidifier on furnace at 25%.

To properly answer your question we need to know more facts. How "NEW"
is the house? What is the house constructed of (vinyl siding, stucco,
Block, et.)? What area of the country is the house located? And maybe
a few more facts.

Also, there could be more than just one thing causing the problem.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 3:29*am, "Hustlin' Hank" wrote:
On Feb 8, 12:36 pm, woods wrote:

My daughter's new house has a 4 ft. wide wall in the garage, and the
wall above her front door entry both get condensate on them when it is
cold. Is this an indication there is no vapor barrier there, or no
insulation, or both? This doesn't show up anywhere else in the
house. She does run a humidifier on furnace at 25%.

To properly answer your question we need to know more facts. How "NEW"
is the house? What is the house constructed of (vinyl siding, stucco,
Block, et.)? What area of the country is the house located? And maybe
a few more facts.

Also, there could be more than just one thing causing the problem.

Hank

Sounds like missing insulation in those areas.

I'd also verify the humdidity is really 25% by measuring it with a
couple different devices. If the humidifier is just set to 25%, the
actual humditity could be higher.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 09:36:33 -0800 (PST), woods
wrote:

My daughter's new house has a 4 ft. wide wall in the garage, and the
wall above her front door entry both get condensate on them when it is
cold. Is this an indication there is no vapor barrier there, or no
insulation, or both? This doesn't show up anywhere else in the
house. She does run a humidifier on furnace at 25%.

Not sure, you need to test it. To be sure it is condensate, tape a
square of aluminum foil onto the area in question. If droplets are
on the side facing the room, it is condensate. If droplets are on the
underside, your vapor barrier is in question. For condensate issues,
use more circulation, less draperies. Try running the furnace blower
all the time or a small fan blowing at the area. Most homes will get
winter condensate especially when cooking, heated pots of soup, etc.

Moisture in walls - what to do Dave Home Repair 10 November 19th 06 09:06 PM
Moisture in walls Dave Home Repair 8 November 16th 06 02:30 PM
Sealing/painting finished walls in basement? Moisture issues? DCheesi Home Repair 2 April 30th 06 07:08 PM
Moisture Cure Urethane (Moisture Cured Urethane) [email protected] Woodworking 1 April 1st 05 08:58 AM
Moisture Cure Urethane (Moisture Cured Urethane) Moshe Woodworking 6 September 5th 03 06:50 PM