Posted to alt.home.repair

Default TSP

The posters here have convinced me that TSP is something I need to use. The
searches I have done point me to TSP substitutes, even though the products have
"TSP" in large letters on the bottle.

Where do you guys buy real TSP?
Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 | 2010-01-24 | 8:29:42 AM wrote:

The posters here have convinced me that TSP is something I need to use. The
searches I have done point me to TSP substitutes, even though the products have
"TSP" in large letters on the bottle.

Where do you guys buy real TSP?

I buy it at Sherwin-Williams or Lowes, though they have more substitutes than real TSP.

I hear you can't buy it in California.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

TSP-containing detergents were banned in Chicago in 1971.
Care to guess what percentage of the currently available
detergents sold in Chicago have TSP?
"Most of them" is a sufficient answer.

On Jan 24, 10:27*am, "SteveBell" wrote:
mcp6453 | 2010-01-24 | 8:29:42 AM wrote:

Where do you guys buy real TSP?

I buy it at Sherwin-Williams or Lowes, though they have
more substitutes than real TSP.

I hear you can't buy it in California.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX USA

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveBell wrote:
mcp6453 | 2010-01-24 | 8:29:42 AM wrote:

The posters here have convinced me that TSP is something I need to use. The
searches I have done point me to TSP substitutes, even though the products have
"TSP" in large letters on the bottle.

Where do you guys buy real TSP?

I buy it at Sherwin-Williams or Lowes, though they have more substitutes than real TSP.

I hear you can't buy it in California.

Shades of real Tide laundry detergent vs. the wimp version, or real
Spic-and-Span versus the wimp version, decades ago. As a kid, I remember
my uncle bootlegging huge cartons of Tide from PA to IN, whenever he
came to visit. My mother didn't dislike trees and streams and stuff, but
she said the phosphate-enhanced formula cleaned better.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2010 7:27 AM SteveBell spake thus:

mcp6453 | 2010-01-24 | 8:29:42 AM wrote:

The posters here have convinced me that TSP is something I need to
use. The searches I have done point me to TSP substitutes, even
though the products have "TSP" in large letters on the bottle.

Where do you guys buy real TSP?

I buy it at Sherwin-Williams or Lowes, though they have more
substitutes than real TSP.

I hear you can't buy it in California.

Bull****. I just saw it yesterday at OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware) when
I went to pick up a bottle of charcoal lighter, which I wasn't sure
whether it was banned here in CA or not (it isn't either, obviously).
Also have seen it recently at Home Despot here.

Some of the stories about what's banned in Ka-lee-fohn-ia are wildly
exaggerated.

- a Usenet "apology"

Posted to alt.home.repair

I bought the real thing at Home Depot in the paint department twice in the
past month, and I saw it there again today. But, if I do a search on the
Home Depot website, and even enter my local store zip code, all it shows is
TSP substitute.

"mcp6453" wrote in message
The posters here have convinced me that TSP is something I need to use.
The
searches I have done point me to TSP substitutes, even though the products
have
"TSP" in large letters on the bottle.

Where do you guys buy real TSP?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mcp6453" wrote in message
The posters here have convinced me that TSP is something I need to
use. The
searches I have done point me to TSP substitutes, even though the
products have
"TSP" in large letters on the bottle.

Where do you guys buy real TSP?

Borg websites often only have a passing resemblance to what the store
really carries. Not just HD, Lowes, etc, but Sams, Wally World, and most
of the others I have had occasion to look on. Web site will be clueless
on stuff I saw there the day before.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2010 3:42 PM mcp6453 top-posted thus:

Are you buying powder and mixing it?

Yes; one buys TSP as powder and dissolves it in water to use.

"mcp6453" wrote in message

The posters here have convinced me that TSP is something I need
to use. The searches I have done point me to TSP substitutes,
even though the products have "TSP" in large letters on the
bottle.

Where do you guys buy real TSP?

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mcp6453" wrote in message
Are you buying powder and mixing it?

Yep. At Home Depot I bought Savogran brand TSP Trisodium Phosphate All
Purpose Heavy Duty Cleaner. It's a red and white box, and it is a powder
that you mix with water. I bought the 16 ounce size. The instructions say
for heavy duty cleaning to mix 1/2 cup of TSP in 2 gallons of hot water. I
used it to clean old caked on kitchen grease off laminate cabinets. It
worked great.

"mcp6453" wrote in message
The posters here have convinced me that TSP is something I need to
use. The
searches I have done point me to TSP substitutes, even though the
products have
"TSP" in large letters on the bottle.

Where do you guys buy real TSP?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mcp6453" wrote in message
The posters here have convinced me that TSP is something I need to use.
The
searches I have done point me to TSP substitutes, even though the
products have
"TSP" in large letters on the bottle.

Where do you guys buy real TSP?

Borg websites often only have a passing resemblance to what the store
really carries. Not just HD, Lowes, etc, but Sams, Wally World, and most
of the others I have had occasion to look on. Web site will be clueless on
stuff I saw there the day before.

I agree. Their websites are pathetic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2010 4:02 PM Jay-T spake thus:

"aemeijers" wrote in message

Borg websites often only have a passing resemblance to what the
store really carries. Not just HD, Lowes, etc, but Sams, Wally
World, and most of the others I have had occasion to look on. Web
site will be clueless on stuff I saw there the day before.

I agree. Their websites are pathetic.

Sadly the same is true even for Ace Hardware, which franchise includes
some of the best hardware stores I've shopped in. Apparently since they
only act as an "umbrella" for the individually-owned stores, they
haven't bothered to make their website worth even looking at. The people
I've talked to at various Ace stores all tell me that the Ace website is
a joke.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/24/2010 7:27 AM SteveBell spake thus:

mcp6453 | 2010-01-24 | 8:29:42 AM wrote:

The posters here have convinced me that TSP is something I need to
use. The searches I have done point me to TSP substitutes, even
though the products have "TSP" in large letters on the bottle.

Where do you guys buy real TSP?

I buy it at Sherwin-Williams or Lowes, though they have more
substitutes than real TSP.

I hear you can't buy it in California.

Bull****. I just saw it yesterday at OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware) when
I went to pick up a bottle of charcoal lighter, which I wasn't sure
whether it was banned here in CA or not (it isn't either, obviously).
Also have seen it recently at Home Despot here.

Some of the stories about what's banned in Ka-lee-fohn-ia are wildly
exaggerated.

TSP (trisodium phosphate) wasn't banned - phosphate detergents were
banned for non-commercial use as I understand it. I always thought it
was nationwide, but apparently is by state. Last time I shopped for
"TSP" (in Florida) the only kind I could find was "non-phosphate". So,
stuff called "TSP" apparently doesn't neccessarilly mean the same thing
in all places.

Counties around Tampa Bay are now banning sale of lawn fertilizer during
summer rainy season due to heavy runoff and algae growth. Wasn't long
ago that lawn watering was banned in Tampa due to drought and a busted
reservoir. Some folks will have breakdowns if they can't fertilize 4
times a year, but there are still bugs to kill )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 15:58:43 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 1/24/2010 3:42 PM mcp6453 top-posted thus:

Are you buying powder and mixing it?

Yes; one buys TSP as powder and dissolves it in water to use.

That's the cheapest way, generally, but it is also available as a
pre-mixed liquid.

"mcp6453" wrote in message

The posters here have convinced me that TSP is something I need
to use. The searches I have done point me to TSP substitutes,
even though the products have "TSP" in large letters on the
bottle.

Where do you guys buy real TSP?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 19:55:15 -0500, "
wrote:

Last time I shopped for
"TSP" (in Florida) the only kind I could find was "non-phosphate". So,
stuff called "TSP" apparently doesn't neccessarilly mean the same thing
in all places.

Florida is full/has many phosphate pits. Deep pits... plenty of large
mouthed bass. No doubt one of those pits has a state record fish in
it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 1:51*pm, aemeijers wrote:
SteveBell wrote:
mcp6453 | 2010-01-24 | 8:29:42 AM wrote:

The posters here have convinced me that TSP is something I need to use.. The
searches I have done point me to TSP substitutes, even though the products have
"TSP" in large letters on the bottle.

Where do you guys buy real TSP?

I buy it at Sherwin-Williams or Lowes, though they have more substitutes than real TSP.

I hear you can't buy it in California.

Shades of real Tide laundry detergent vs. the wimp version, or real
Spic-and-Span versus the wimp version, decades ago. As a kid, I remember
my uncle bootlegging huge cartons of Tide from PA to IN, whenever he
came to visit. My mother didn't dislike trees and streams and stuff, but
she said the phosphate-enhanced formula cleaned better.

--
aem sends...

I used a little TSP in the laundry the other day. Wife saw the
difference in the laundry.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Last time I shopped for
"TSP" (in Florida) the only kind I could find was "non-phosphate". So,
stuff called "TSP" apparently doesn't neccessarilly mean the same thing
in all places.

Florida is full/has many phosphate pits. Deep pits... plenty of large
mouthed bass. No doubt one of those pits has a state record fish in
it.

My son can find largemouth in just about any body of water larger than a
bathtub...small lakes in the city, etc. Hasn't tried any old mines in
Florida, and having driven the area of some of them it would not be
wise. Unless you bring about six strong, armed friends. Strange
creatures living out in the backwoods in Florida.
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveBell wrote:
[...]

TSP will strip the natural oils from your skin if used on clothing, it
is harsh. Plus there are more environmentally-friendly detergents.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

I have seen products marketed in the same-shaped containers as TSP and
they call these "TSP substitutes." Tide laundry detergent performed
better than the "TSP substitutes."