How to stop entry door leaks?

Old January 22nd 10, 03:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to stop entry door leaks?

I have installed several prehung exterior steel entry doors over the last
few years, and virtually all of them have minor leaks somewhere around the
bottom. The first was the entry door to our garage, which has now rotted
and will need replacing this summer. Obviously, I don't want any other
doors to rot like the first one, or worse yet cause structural damage to
the buildings.

I've tried to follow the best building practices I can, wrapping the wall
felt into the door opening, applying flashing tape around the opening
(bottom, sides, then top), caulking with high quality PL polyurethane
caulking, etc. The exterior door frame is completely sealed and there's no
possible way water is coming in around the exterior of the frame.

As far as I can tell, the water comes in somewhere around the door sill at
the bottom. I'm not positive, but I think the water runs down the sides of
the door against the weatherstripping then along the crack between the
metal sill and the the wood jambs. I've tried caulking these joints also,
which has helped, but the water is still getting in somewhere.

Unfortunately, there's no overhanging roof to protect most of the doors,
and adding an external storm door is not an option either.

I'm stumped. It shouldn't be this difficult to make a door water tight...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Anthony
Old January 22nd 10, 03:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 9:30*am, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

A lot of my doors and windows have a piece of angle tacked above the
top trim & it seems enough to make it drip away fro the door or
window. The older ones are lead, or something really soft, but so long
as it is metal it should work. Drip edge for roofing comes to mind.
Old January 22nd 10, 04:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:30:21 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband wrote:
I have installed several prehung exterior steel entry doors over the last
few years, and virtually all of them have minor leaks somewhere around the
bottom. The first was the entry door to our garage, which has now rotted
and will need replacing this summer. Obviously, I don't want any other
doors to rot like the first one, or worse yet cause structural damage to
the buildings.

The problem isn't the door; it is drainage around it. It is obviously
sitting in a puddle at times.

Build up the soil around it so water flows away. You may have to put
in a stoop or sculpt the lawn.
Old January 22nd 10, 05:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 10:43*am, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:30:21 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband wrote:
I have installed several prehung exterior steel entry doors over the last
few years, and virtually all of them have minor leaks somewhere around the
bottom. *The first was the entry door to our garage, which has now rotted
and will need replacing this summer. Obviously, I don't want any other
doors to rot like the first one, or worse yet cause structural damage to
the buildings.

The problem isn't the door; *it is drainage around it. *It is obviously
sitting in a puddle at times.

Build up the soil around it so water flows away. *You may have to put
in a stoop or sculpt the lawn.

Not build up the soil, but remove some of the soil!
Old January 22nd 10, 07:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair
LdB

On 1/22/2010 9:30 AM, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

Wind driven rain runs down the outside of a door to the threshold
where it is supposed to flow down and off without entering the house.
Unfortunately this is not always the case. Some finds it's way in
around the door edges and weatherstripping. If it can't run in
directly it may wick in through the smallest cracks.

I believe this is a common problem that many people are unaware of
because water soaks in under the flooring around the threshold and
goes unnoticed until the problem becomes a major one.

Two of my neighbors have the same problem. By the way we are all
building are own houses and are living ln them as they are being
completed. I found and corrected a few problems that would not have
been very visible once the finishing had been completed.

After a few unsuccessful attempts to stop the water leaking in, I
ended up installing storm doors on all my outside doors. Not a drop
of water on the floor after that.

The storm doors keep the inside door warmer during the winter. They
may eventually pay for themselves in reducing heat loos through the doors.

LdB
Old January 22nd 10, 07:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 10:53*am, Eric in North TX wrote:
[...]

as it is metal it should work. Drip edge for roofing comes to mind.- Hide quoted text -

When I built the shed shown below, I installed vinyl drip edge on the
roof edges. When I looked at the trim above the doors, it looked like
a place that could used some protection, so I installed a piece of
drip edge on top of that and caulked the seam. When it rains, I can
see the water dripping out away from the doors so it appears to be
doing it's job.

http://www.handyhome.com/kingston.htm
Old January 22nd 10, 10:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

As far as I can tell, the water comes in somewhere around the door sill at
the bottom. I'm not positive, but I think the water runs down the sides of
the door against the weatherstripping then along the crack between the
metal sill and the the wood jambs. I've tried caulking these joints also,
which has helped, but the water is still getting in somewhere.

I say you are correct. Often door jambs are not prime/sealed at the
bottom, so water wicks up into the wood.

Caulking is best done when the door was/is installed, not as a fix
later on.

Exterior doors clean the sill, caulk along the jamb sides the width of
the threshold. Run two 1/2 inch beads of silly-caulk the length of the
threshold and set the door. Apply some foot pressure to seat (TH).

Caulk lines (top view)

]================[

Old January 22nd 10, 10:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I have installed several prehung exterior steel entry doors over the
last few years, and virtually all of them have minor leaks somewhere
around the bottom. The first was the entry door to our garage, which
has now rotted and will need replacing this summer. Obviously, I don't
want any other doors to rot like the first one, or worse yet cause
structural damage to the buildings.

The problem isn't the door; it is drainage around it.
It is obviously sitting in a puddle at times.

Three doors leak, none of which are anywhere close to the ground.

1. Garage entry door. Top is protected by a 12" roof overhang with a full
gutter system. Bottom of door sill sits about 4" higher than the concrete
walk in front of it.

2. Back door of house. Gable roof end only overhangs about 6" and is
approximately 12' above the door. The sill of the door is roughly three
feet off the ground with a wood landing about 6" below the door.

3. Front door at in-laws. Hip roof overhangs about 18", but no gutters
installed. Door sill is roughly three feet off the ground with a wood
landing about 6" below the door.

In all cases, the only source of water would be windblown rain, or
splashback from the deck/patio below the door. The doors can't be raised
any higher and still comply with stair height codes.

Anthony
Old January 22nd 10, 11:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Yep, we had the same problem with the entry doors of our old mobile home.
No amount of caulking would prevent the leaking, but a storm door did stop
the water.

Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons I do not want storm doors on the
doors that are leaking. Especially for the garage and back doors where
we're often hauling large objects in and out. My in-laws just splurged on
a decorative door and don't want to cover it with a storm door.

Anthony
Old January 22nd 10, 11:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 22:55:47 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband wrote:
I have installed several prehung exterior steel entry doors over the
last few years, and virtually all of them have minor leaks somewhere
around the bottom. The first was the entry door to our garage, which
has now rotted and will need replacing this summer. Obviously, I don't
want any other doors to rot like the first one, or worse yet cause
structural damage to the buildings.

The problem isn't the door; it is drainage around it.
It is obviously sitting in a puddle at times.

Three doors leak, none of which are anywhere close to the ground.

Then you need storm doors if rain is that intense.

Replacing entry door only - no prehung door woods[_2_] Home Repair 8 May 2nd 09 03:00 PM
entry door trailer[_2_] Home Repair 3 May 1st 09 10:08 PM
Child door locks for entry door crust Home Repair 8 June 30th 08 06:04 PM
Door Entry System - Aluminium Door John UK diy 8 October 30th 07 10:04 PM
Entry Door Charles Bishop Home Repair 4 May 12th 07 05:31 AM