Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How can a mouse trap be tripped and no mouse?

I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several mice
successfully.

After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped again and the peanut
butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be found anywhere. How is this
possible?

This is the trap I use:
http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/...ictor_trap.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/21/10 01:01 pm, james wrote:

I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several mice
successfully.

After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped again and the
peanut butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be found anywhere. How
is this possible?

This is the trap I use:
http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/...ictor_trap.jpg

Evolution: the mice are getting smarter with each generation.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 10:01*am, "james" wrote:
I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several mice
successfully.

After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped again and the peanut
butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be found anywhere. How is this
possible?

This is the trap I use:http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/...ictor_trap.jpg

The trap could have tripped after you set it due to vibration or a
bump. Then, the mice cleaned it out. Just try again.

False trips are a part of having a hair trigger.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote the following:
On 01/21/10 01:01 pm, james wrote:

I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several mice
successfully.

After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped again and the
peanut butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be found anywhere. How
is this possible?

This is the trap I use:
http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/...ictor_trap.jpg

Evolution: the mice are getting smarter with each generation.

Perce

Eggsactly. Me, I just set out live traps and relocate them. They have a
right to live like any of us, or else God wouldn't have put them here..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 12:01*pm, "james" wrote:
I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several mice
successfully.

After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped again and the peanut
butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be found anywhere. How is this
possible?

This is the trap I use:http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/...ictor_trap.jpg

The mice you caught were Darwin award winners. Now you have a whole
smarter generation to outsmart!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:25:25 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

The mice you caught were Darwin award winners. Now you have a whole
smarter generation to outsmart!

example:

http://i48.tinypic.com/2ed7clt.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:01:19 -0800, "james" wrote:

I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several mice
successfully.

After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped again and the peanut
butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be found anywhere. How is this
possible?

This is the trap I use:
http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/...ictor_trap.jpg

Here is how:
http://i7.tinypic.com/2ex6kah.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:28:29 -0800 (PST), mike
wrote:

On Jan 21, 10:01*am, "james" wrote:
I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several mice
successfully.

After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped again and the peanut
butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be found anywhere. How is this
possible?

This is the trap I use:http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/...ictor_trap.jpg

The trap could have tripped after you set it due to vibration or a
bump. Then, the mice cleaned it out. Just try again.

I've seen in the past it might take several try's to get a set trap
'operational'. 'Course a sprung trap, allowing the mice to clean it
out will give them a false sense of security. Let 'em eat for a day or
so and then set the trap.

False trips are a part of having a hair trigger.

It took once to learn to keep my fingers clear.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Eggsactly. Me, I just set out live traps and relocate them. They have a
right to live like any of us, or else God wouldn't have put them here..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Glad to hear it ME TOO!

Dont keep food around your basement or garage!

I got into feeding birds and squirrels To save oney bought 50 pound
sack of sunflower seeds.

Kept seeds in basement Was over run with mice, relocated 36 mice.

Checked and released trap at least twice a day.

Had a few deaths, onlt old grey aged mice

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote the following:
On 01/21/10 01:01 pm, james wrote:

I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several mice
successfully.

After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped again and the
peanut butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be found anywhere. How
is this possible?

This is the trap I use:
http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/...ictor_trap.jpg

I have a lot of experience. I only put traps in my garage and shops, as I
also have little dogs that run around, so I have to be careful. I use the
same ones as you, but a Tin Cat by Victor is better.

But back to your question. One of two things. Either the mouse does not
get caught, or bugs strip the peanut butter. I have seen some mice push the
trap to get it to spring, then eat the pb. For them, I place the trap
vertical with the food down. That will get them. I have also come back to
find a sprung trap, nothing in it, and a large dead pack rat close by.
Guess it hit them on the head, and they didn't stay in the trap. So look
around, and you may have a dead larger rodent. And then sometimes they get
caught but manage to wiggle out, sometimes leaving a leg or paw.

I live in a very very heavily populated rodent area. I have to deal with
huge squirrels that raid my fruit trees. Then there's the chipmunks that
get into just about everything, the gophers that make tunnels and large
mounds of expensive spoils on the lawn, pack rats, and mice.

I have given up on the chipmunks. For the squirrels, I use a shotgun and a
water trap with a trap door that works good. I use spring traps for the
gophers underground. I have gotten pretty good at catching them, but I have
to check them EVERY DAY. My grandsons love coming here to stay, because we
make rounds and empty the traps. Then we take a large metal spoon and see
how far we can fling them into the air into the canyon abutting my property
as food for the coyotes and birds. I'm going to make some tall T's to put
them on so I can draw in some of the large raptors in the area.

Let us know what you figure out, and again, look for dead carcasses from
injured animals. They get skanky real quick unless you're in a cold place,
and then they will come spring.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote

I've seen in the past it might take several try's to get a set trap
'operational'. 'Course a sprung trap, allowing the mice to clean it
out will give them a false sense of security. Let 'em eat for a day or
so and then set the trap.

False trips are a part of having a hair trigger.

It took once to learn to keep my fingers clear.

Putting them vertical helps so the rodent has to reach up and really push on
it, and they're in the right position for the bar to get them. I have
screwed them on to wood, and used velcro. It helps to get the REALLY smart
ones.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:01:19 -0800, "james" wrote:

I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several mice
successfully.

After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped again and the peanut
butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be found anywhere. How is this
possible?

This is the trap I use:
http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/...ictor_trap.jpg

It is easy to lick all the peanut butter off without tripping the
trap. But, try wiring on a peanut.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 3:01*pm, willshak wrote:
[...]

Never, ever have I kept food, seeds, anything edible (insulation
doesn't
count!) in my basement or my detached garage. The little vermin
overrun both
anyway, since those are the only two places the cats don't go since
neither are
accessible from inside the house. I have no problem with live and let
live,
but that stops at the foundation of my house. You come in uninvited,
you get
what you get.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
james wrote:
I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several mice
successfully.

After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped again and the
peanut butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be found anywhere.
How is this possible?

This is the trap I use:
http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/...ictor_trap.jpg

Think cat.

I think not. Feeding a few mice is cheaper. And why do you post this
every single time a mouse thread comes up? And please don't tell us
about that distillery cat again.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 14:45:44 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I got into feeding birds and squirrels To save oney bought 50 pound
sack of sunflower seeds.

Birds starved after that sack a seeds?
Posted to alt.home.repair
K K is offline

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 01/21/10 01:01 pm, james wrote:

I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several mice
successfully.

After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped again and the
peanut butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be found anywhere.
How is this possible?

This is the trap I use:
http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/...ictor_trap.jpg

Evolution: the mice are getting smarter with each generation.

Perce

Maybe just sneakier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 1:01*pm, "james" wrote:
I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several mice
successfully.

After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped again and the peanut
butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be found anywhere. How is this
possible?

This is the trap I use:http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/...ictor_trap.jpg

Glue traps. No bruised fingers. No escaped mice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Limp Arbor wrote:

Glue traps. No bruised fingers. No escaped mice.

Those are cruel. Just get a snaptrap and be done about it.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
james wrote:
I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several mice
successfully.

After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped again and
the peanut butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be found
anywhere. How is this possible?

This is the trap I use:
http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/...ictor_trap.jpg

Think cat.

I think not. Feeding a few mice is cheaper.

Not if you contract Bubonic Plague, Babesiosis, LaCrosse encephalitis,
Cutaneous leishmaniasis, Human granulocytic anaplasmosis, Lyme disease,
Murine typhus, Rickettsialpox, Relapsing fever, Rocky Mountain spotted
fever, or even rabies.

And why do you post this
every single time a mouse thread comes up?

Obviously the person who posts a mouse thread has not seen it before.

And please don't tell us
about that distillery cat again.

You mean Towser? The cat in the Guiness Book of Records who, during her 23
years as the Mouser-In-Chief at the Glennturrent distillery dispatched
28,898 mice? That one?

Okay.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Metspitzer wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:01:19 -0800, "james" wrote:

I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several mice
successfully.

After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped again and the peanut
butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be found anywhere. How is this
possible?

Mice can lick the peanut butter off of the bait pan. Use a raisin instead;
crush it on to the pan, and they'll never get it off without tripping the
trap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Get a rat zapper. Check them out on ebay. they work awesome.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 18:15:53 -0500, Phisherman
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:01:19 -0800, "james" wrote:

I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several mice
successfully.

After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped again and the peanut
butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be found anywhere. How is this
possible?

This is the trap I use:
http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/...ictor_trap.jpg

It is easy to lick all the peanut butter off without tripping the
trap. But, try wiring on a peanut.

Crazy glue the peanut on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"tmclone" wrote in message
[...]

That's the rule at our house, too. You can get some nasty stuff from mice,
and having anything that they can eat or nest in invites problems.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote

I think not. Feeding a few mice is cheaper.

Then they do what mice do after they have eaten. Yuck. It must smell at
your house.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Limp Arbor wrote:

Glue traps. No bruised fingers. No escaped mice.

Those are cruel. Just get a snaptrap and be done about it.

Jon

Glue traps are expensive. And have you ever heard a mice screaming that has
been caught in one? It's terrible.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote the following:
On 01/21/10 01:01 pm, james wrote:

I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several mice
successfully.

After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped again and the
peanut butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be found anywhere. How
is this possible?

This is the trap I use:
http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/...ictor_trap.jpg

Evolution: the mice are getting smarter with each generation.

Perce

Eggsactly. Me, I just set out live traps and relocate them. They have a
right to live like any of us, or else God wouldn't have put them here..

yeah, sort of like cancer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"james" wrote in message
I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several mice
successfully.

After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped again and the
peanut butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be found anywhere. How is
this possible?

This is the trap I use:
http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/...ictor_trap.jpg

You've got a bad trigger or some other fault. I suspect too much of a hair
trigger. We use the Victor traps, too, but when I get a trap with confirmed
kills I use it forever. We used to keep track by drawing little "killed"
lines on the sides, but all the really good ones are completely marked up
now. Once you find a good one (snapped the mouse cleanly and quickly on the
neck) you'll get good at figuring out how much of a hair trigger it needs to
have to work well. Too much and it goes off in a draft (opening a door) and
too little and the mouse can do jumping jacks while eating the PB.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message

It is easy to lick all the peanut butter off without tripping the
trap.....

True. I had rat traps set, but they kept getting licked clean without
tripping. Huh? Then, one night, I looked out the window to see a rat
approaching. I'm 2' away, behind glass, so he doesn't see me. Not only did
he lick it clean... He held the bait shoe with both hands while he was
licking it! Amazing. Unfortunately for him, I smear some peanut butter on
the underside of the bait shoe. When he was all done licking the top, he
stuck his head underneath to get that last little bit.... WHAM! The trap
did a backwards cartwheel, I jumped a foot in the air. I survived. He
didn't.

;-{

Posted to alt.home.repair

"uncle K" wrote in message
m...

"Phisherman" wrote in message

It is easy to lick all the peanut butter off without tripping the
trap.....

True. I had rat traps set, but they kept getting licked clean without
tripping. Huh? Then, one night, I looked out the window to see a rat
approaching. I'm 2' away, behind glass, so he doesn't see me. Not only
did he lick it clean... He held the bait shoe with both hands while he was
licking it! Amazing. Unfortunately for him, I smear some peanut butter
on the underside of the bait shoe. When he was all done licking the top,
he stuck his head underneath to get that last little bit.... WHAM! The
trap did a backwards cartwheel, I jumped a foot in the air. I survived.
He didn't.

;-{

I always smear some on the wood under the bait lever. Maybe that's why I
have a high catch rate.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

james wrote:
I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several mice
successfully.

After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped again and the
peanut butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be found anywhere.
How is this possible?

This is the trap I use:
http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/...ictor_trap.jpg

It could have something to do with the brand of cheese. It better not be
Nolan's.

See this documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqlQS5CCmwI

Posted to alt.home.repair

Years ago, I set up mouse traps. I was sitting at the
computer one time, and a mouse came out to eat off the trap.
I tried to get a picture, but every time I moved, the mouse
fled. It was small enough and gentle enough not to trip the
trap. I put down some mouse food baits, and havn't seen
mousie since then. Perhaps your mouse population likes mouse
food baits.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"james" wrote in message
I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several
mice
successfully.

After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped
again and the peanut
butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be found anywhere.
How is this
possible?

This is the trap I use:
http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/...ictor_trap.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote

I think not. Feeding a few mice is cheaper.

Then they do what mice do after they have eaten. Yuck. It must smell at
your house.

Steve

Nope. No food or crumbs, no mice. I was using the teeter-totter traps
baited with peanut butter, and relocating them, 2 or 3 a week, to a park
on other side of river. But 4-5 months ago. I noticed the bait was
vanishing, but the door was still open, and the trap hadn't tottered.
Dunno how, trap still functioned fine, and hinge pins weren't gummed up.
Maybe 2 mice cooperating- one eating, and one holding door end down and
open? So I quit setting the traps out, and quit seeing mice. I keep the
bird seed in tightly sealed 5 gallon buckets. In the kitchen, only food
not in fridge is sealed cans or bottles- no paper boxes or plastic bags
in pantry. Even keep the bread in the fridge. And I have trained myself
to not eat anywhere but kitchen table any more, so no crumbs in other
rooms either.

I'll take the occasional whiff of mouse over a the constant stench of a
cat litter box, any day. And litter boxes ALL stink. Cat owners that
claim otherwise are in denial, or they are so used to it that they don't
smell it any more. But guests sure do.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

aemeijers wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
james wrote:
I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several mice
successfully.

After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped again and
the peanut butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be found
anywhere. How is this possible?

This is the trap I use:
http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/...ictor_trap.jpg

Think cat.

I think not. Feeding a few mice is cheaper.

Not if you contract Bubonic Plague, Babesiosis, LaCrosse encephalitis,
Cutaneous leishmaniasis, Human granulocytic anaplasmosis, Lyme
disease, Murine typhus, Rickettsialpox, Relapsing fever, Rocky
Mountain spotted fever, or even rabies.

I think you got that list from one of those "Ask your doctor about..."
drug pusher commercials on TV.

And why do you post this
every single time a mouse thread comes up?

Obviously the person who posts a mouse thread has not seen it before.

And please don't tell us
about that distillery cat again.

You mean Towser? The cat in the Guiness Book of Records who, during
her 23 years as the Mouser-In-Chief at the Glennturrent distillery
dispatched 28,898 mice? That one?

Okay.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

I'll take the occasional whiff of mouse over a the constant stench of
a cat litter box, any day. And litter boxes ALL stink. Cat owners that
claim otherwise are in denial, or they are so used to it that they
don't smell it any more. But guests sure do.

You're probably right. But so what?

I am indifferent to whether my guests are offended.

Conversely, if I don't like an environment with which I have an occasion to
visit, I leave and don't go back.

Or set the place on fire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Funny mouse story from years ago.

The company I worked at WG Johnston was closing The remaining
workers were moved to a small area in the building. I was in field
service still working, came in and checked the box of donuts in the
adjacent kitchen like area.

Kinda peeked in box to find a mouse looking back at me

So I walked in office and said lennys here. Leonard lewis bought the
company to shut it down and was universally despised.

Fear gripped them every time he visited more were let go

I said no not lenny lewis

Lenny the mouse in the donut box

The mouse was long gone. the donuts tossed.

After this the donuts lived on a small table in the middle of the
office where everyone could watch them!!!

Johnstons was a great job, worked there 9 years and went in business
for myself as it closed........
Posted to alt.home.repair

Here in NYC we have some giant roaches.

12/08 I found a termite nest in the closet above where we once had
termites. Termite trap installed then goes off six months
later. Identical termite trap immediately replacing it doesn't
respond. Conclusion: the trap flag sprung from rot not termites.

I contacted an entomolgy professor who once taught my bio lab. She
said check if any plants touch the house. Sure enough, it dawned on me
a pine-like tree with sweet berries attracted the termites to begin
with. Sadly, we removed the trees after forty years.

Lesson: Get to the ROOT of the problem.

In this case, literally.

The only time I ever had problems with mice was when the grubmint was
messing with the sewers. At said time, some rats were the size of
oppossums. I know because in my part of NYC we've always had a racoon
a month and an oppossum a year. THough now it seems the geese, that
brought down that plane, are scaring them away.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2