How can a mouse trap be tripped and no mouse?

Old January 22nd 10, 04:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default How can a mouse trap be tripped and no mouse?

"Phisherman" wrote in message

It is easy to lick all the peanut butter off without tripping the
trap.....

True. I had rat traps set, but they kept getting licked clean without
tripping. Huh? Then, one night, I looked out the window to see a rat
approaching. I'm 2' away, behind glass, so he doesn't see me. Not only did
he lick it clean... He held the bait shoe with both hands while he was
licking it! Amazing. Unfortunately for him, I smear some peanut butter on
the underside of the bait shoe. When he was all done licking the top, he
stuck his head underneath to get that last little bit.... WHAM! The trap
did a backwards cartwheel, I jumped a foot in the air. I survived. He
didn't.

;-{

Old January 22nd 10, 05:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"uncle K" wrote in message
m...

"Phisherman" wrote in message

It is easy to lick all the peanut butter off without tripping the
trap.....

True. I had rat traps set, but they kept getting licked clean without
tripping. Huh? Then, one night, I looked out the window to see a rat
approaching. I'm 2' away, behind glass, so he doesn't see me. Not only
did he lick it clean... He held the bait shoe with both hands while he was
licking it! Amazing. Unfortunately for him, I smear some peanut butter
on the underside of the bait shoe. When he was all done licking the top,
he stuck his head underneath to get that last little bit.... WHAM! The
trap did a backwards cartwheel, I jumped a foot in the air. I survived.
He didn't.

;-{

I always smear some on the wood under the bait lever. Maybe that's why I
have a high catch rate.

Steve

Old January 22nd 10, 08:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

james wrote:
I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several mice
successfully.

After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped again and the
peanut butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be found anywhere.
How is this possible?

This is the trap I use:
http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/...ictor_trap.jpg

It could have something to do with the brand of cheese. It better not be
Nolan's.

See this documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqlQS5CCmwI

Old January 23rd 10, 12:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Years ago, I set up mouse traps. I was sitting at the
computer one time, and a mouse came out to eat off the trap.
I tried to get a picture, but every time I moved, the mouse
fled. It was small enough and gentle enough not to trip the
trap. I put down some mouse food baits, and havn't seen
mousie since then. Perhaps your mouse population likes mouse
food baits.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old January 23rd 10, 12:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote

I think not. Feeding a few mice is cheaper.

Then they do what mice do after they have eaten. Yuck. It must smell at
your house.

Steve

Nope. No food or crumbs, no mice. I was using the teeter-totter traps
baited with peanut butter, and relocating them, 2 or 3 a week, to a park
on other side of river. But 4-5 months ago. I noticed the bait was
vanishing, but the door was still open, and the trap hadn't tottered.
Dunno how, trap still functioned fine, and hinge pins weren't gummed up.
Maybe 2 mice cooperating- one eating, and one holding door end down and
open? So I quit setting the traps out, and quit seeing mice. I keep the
bird seed in tightly sealed 5 gallon buckets. In the kitchen, only food
not in fridge is sealed cans or bottles- no paper boxes or plastic bags
in pantry. Even keep the bread in the fridge. And I have trained myself
to not eat anywhere but kitchen table any more, so no crumbs in other
rooms either.

I'll take the occasional whiff of mouse over a the constant stench of a
cat litter box, any day. And litter boxes ALL stink. Cat owners that
claim otherwise are in denial, or they are so used to it that they don't
smell it any more. But guests sure do.

--
aem sends...
Old January 23rd 10, 04:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

aemeijers wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
james wrote:
I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several mice
successfully.

After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped again and
the peanut butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be found
anywhere. How is this possible?

This is the trap I use:
http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/...ictor_trap.jpg

Think cat.

I think not. Feeding a few mice is cheaper.

Not if you contract Bubonic Plague, Babesiosis, LaCrosse encephalitis,
Cutaneous leishmaniasis, Human granulocytic anaplasmosis, Lyme
disease, Murine typhus, Rickettsialpox, Relapsing fever, Rocky
Mountain spotted fever, or even rabies.

I think you got that list from one of those "Ask your doctor about..."
drug pusher commercials on TV.

And why do you post this
every single time a mouse thread comes up?

Obviously the person who posts a mouse thread has not seen it before.

And please don't tell us
about that distillery cat again.

You mean Towser? The cat in the Guiness Book of Records who, during
her 23 years as the Mouser-In-Chief at the Glennturrent distillery
dispatched 28,898 mice? That one?

Okay.

Old January 23rd 10, 01:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

I'll take the occasional whiff of mouse over a the constant stench of
a cat litter box, any day. And litter boxes ALL stink. Cat owners that
claim otherwise are in denial, or they are so used to it that they
don't smell it any more. But guests sure do.

You're probably right. But so what?

I am indifferent to whether my guests are offended.

Conversely, if I don't like an environment with which I have an occasion to
visit, I leave and don't go back.

Or set the place on fire.

Old January 23rd 10, 01:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Funny mouse story from years ago.

The company I worked at WG Johnston was closing The remaining
workers were moved to a small area in the building. I was in field
service still working, came in and checked the box of donuts in the
adjacent kitchen like area.

Kinda peeked in box to find a mouse looking back at me

So I walked in office and said lennys here. Leonard lewis bought the
company to shut it down and was universally despised.

Fear gripped them every time he visited more were let go

I said no not lenny lewis

Lenny the mouse in the donut box

The mouse was long gone. the donuts tossed.

After this the donuts lived on a small table in the middle of the
office where everyone could watch them!!!

Johnstons was a great job, worked there 9 years and went in business
for myself as it closed........
Old January 23rd 10, 05:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Here in NYC we have some giant roaches.

12/08 I found a termite nest in the closet above where we once had
termites. Termite trap installed then goes off six months
later. Identical termite trap immediately replacing it doesn't
respond. Conclusion: the trap flag sprung from rot not termites.

I contacted an entomolgy professor who once taught my bio lab. She
said check if any plants touch the house. Sure enough, it dawned on me
a pine-like tree with sweet berries attracted the termites to begin
with. Sadly, we removed the trees after forty years.

Lesson: Get to the ROOT of the problem.

In this case, literally.

The only time I ever had problems with mice was when the grubmint was
messing with the sewers. At said time, some rats were the size of
oppossums. I know because in my part of NYC we've always had a racoon
a month and an oppossum a year. THough now it seems the geese, that
brought down that plane, are scaring them away.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2