DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to repair darkened granite in the kitchen (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/295214-how-repair-darkened-granite-kitchen.html)

ivk January 1st 10 04:22 AM

How to repair darkened granite in the kitchen

3 years ago I installed granite countertops in our kitchen. The
granite was bright yellow ("Madura gold"). Since then, the granite
became visibly darker in the areas with a lot of water (eg around the
faucet). Now we are thinking of selling the house, and would like to
return the granite to something closer to its original color. Is it
possible at all ?

Red Green January 1st 10 05:21 AM

How to repair darkened granite in the kitchen

ivk wrote in news:a22fc048-d319-433c-bc65-
:

3 years ago I installed granite countertops in our kitchen. The
granite was bright yellow ("Madura gold"). Since then, the granite
became visibly darker in the areas with a lot of water (eg around the
faucet). Now we are thinking of selling the house, and would like to
return the granite to something closer to its original color. Is it
possible at all ?

Contact the place where you bought it for advice yet?

ransley January 1st 10 12:39 PM

On Dec 31 2009, 10:22*pm, ivk wrote:
3 years ago I installed granite countertops in our kitchen. The
granite was bright yellow ("Madura gold"). Since then, the granite
became visibly darker in the areas with a lot of water (eg around the
faucet). Now we are thinking of selling the house, and would like to
return the granite to something closer to its original color. Is it
possible at all ?

My only guess is laundry bleach

dadiOH[_3_] January 1st 10 12:54 PM

ivk wrote:
3 years ago I installed granite countertops in our kitchen. The
granite was bright yellow ("Madura gold"). Since then, the granite
became visibly darker in the areas with a lot of water (eg around the
faucet). Now we are thinking of selling the house, and would like to
return the granite to something closer to its original color. Is it
possible at all ?

Stone gets darker when it is damp. Is it? Maybe try a hair dryer...

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Joe January 1st 10 04:48 PM

How to repair darkened granite in the kitchen

On Dec 31 2009, 10:22*pm, ivk wrote:
3 years ago I installed granite countertops in our kitchen. The
granite was bright yellow ("Madura gold"). Since then, the granite
became visibly darker in the areas with a lot of water (eg around the
faucet). Now we are thinking of selling the house, and would like to
return the granite to something closer to its original color. Is it
possible at all ?

One more good reason to choose a laminate. Of course, that won't work
for the fashionistas.

Joe

hr(bob) [email protected] January 1st 10 04:59 PM

On Jan 1, 10:48*am, Joe wrote:
On Dec 31 2009, 10:22*pm, ivk wrote:

3 years ago I installed granite countertops in our kitchen. The
granite was bright yellow ("Madura gold"). Since then, the granite
became visibly darker in the areas with a lot of water (eg around the
faucet). Now we are thinking of selling the house, and would like to
return the granite to something closer to its original color. Is it
possible at all ?

One more good reason to choose a laminate. Of course, that won't work
for the fashionistas.

Joe

Generic chlorox is your best bet.

Han January 1st 10 10:10 PM

How to repair darkened granite in the kitchen

ivk wrote in news:a22fc048-d319-433c-bc65-
:

3 years ago I installed granite countertops in our kitchen. The
granite was bright yellow ("Madura gold"). Since then, the granite
became visibly darker in the areas with a lot of water (eg around the
faucet). Now we are thinking of selling the house, and would like to
return the granite to something closer to its original color. Is it
possible at all ?

I am making an ass of myself by guessing that only fake granite darkens
with age. Granite, if properly sealed probably should not darken. I know
that my fake granite/quartz (Silestone - Montblanc, I think) has not
darkened at all.

As mentioned, you might try in a not too obtruse place to let some bleach
sit and see whether that lightens it up. OTOH, the manufaturer or
installer should be able to help you restore the counter.

--
Best regards
Han