Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mounting plasma TV on the wall only to find that my studs aren'tflush with the sheet rock!

Hello,
I have a new plasma TV and a bought wall mounting hardware. I used the
stud finder on the wall and found that the studs are 24 inches apart.
I drilled several small holes into the sheet rock in the area but it
seems like after I clear the sheet rock there is a half inch of dead
space before the studs. I haven't checked the whole wall but it seems
this is the case in the relevant area. Is this common? I bought
longer screws but I'm still hesitant to hang it on top of empty space.
One idea is to use 1/2 inch metal washers, if there is such a thing,
to fortify the screws.
Any other ideas?
Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 6:54*pm, Unused Classified wrote:
Hello,
I have a new plasma TV and a bought wall mounting hardware. I used the
stud finder on the wall and found that the studs are 24 inches apart.
I drilled several small holes into the sheet rock in the area but it
seems like after I clear the sheet rock there is a half inch of dead
space before the studs. *I haven't checked the whole wall but it seems
this is the case in the relevant area. *Is this common? I bought
longer screws but I'm still hesitant to hang it on top of empty space.
One idea is to use 1/2 inch metal washers, if there is such a thing,
to fortify the screws.
Any other ideas?
Thanks

If your studs are 24 oc, the wall may not be able to hold a TV, at
least not a big one. Need more detail, please- where are you, when was
house built, etc.24 oc isn't code for wood studs in area I have ever
spent time in. Do you maybe have steel studs? If this is an older
house, was the room ever remodeled? I have found a lot of surprises in
old walls.

I suppose you could always screw a big piece of plywood to wall,
across maybe 3 stud bays, and hang the TV from that. But with a
questionable wall and an expen$ive TV, I'd be looking at a floor
stand.

--
aem sends (last day on Google till next years road trip)...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 16:54:11 -0800 (PST), Unused Classified
wrote:

Hello,
I have a new plasma TV and a bought wall mounting hardware. I used the
stud finder on the wall and found that the studs are 24 inches apart.
I drilled several small holes into the sheet rock in the area but it
seems like after I clear the sheet rock there is a half inch of dead
space before the studs. I haven't checked the whole wall but it seems
this is the case in the relevant area. Is this common? I bought
longer screws but I'm still hesitant to hang it on top of empty space.
One idea is to use 1/2 inch metal washers, if there is such a thing,
to fortify the screws.
Any other ideas?
Thanks

Use 3/4 in plywood (birch), cut to size needed. Span the 24" on center
and mount it. Then mount the TV mount.

A plasma TV mount will need lag bolts, at least four. See instructions
for the mount.

In lieu of plywood, two 1x4 wood for the mounting span.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

If there is 1/2' behind the drywall in an area of at least one stud,
then that would mean you'd have a 48" span where the sheetrock could
move back 1/2". And if that's the case, just pushing on it you'd
notice the drywall would bend, ie give. In any case, the bracket is
going to be secured to the studs, so the only real danger is that as
you tighten the bracket up, if there were such a gap and you continued
to tighten it, the drywall could crack/break. If you tighten it
securely, the bracket itself will be secure and the TV can't
fall. If you proceed with caution while tightening, you can get
an idea of whether the drywall is being pulled in or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you have Resilient channel for sound proofing ?? or maybe
strapping ??? Either way you may have to open the wall up to add
bracing...Spanning the studs with 1X4 strips will just crush the sheetrock
into the studs as you tighten the lags or break the strips or both......You
need to get something in there first or perhaps use a LARGE piece of 3/4
inch finished plwood and screw through the sheetrock and strapping or
Resilient channel into the studs then attach the mount to the 3/4 plywood
...Might look kinda strange though..LOL...Take the mount back and buy a nice
stand might be the easiest choice...HTH...My dad took his down off the wall
and bought a stand...He was tired of looking up at the ceiling to watch
TV...Some things look better in pictures then actually function well....I
don't have mine on the wall either...Same reason...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Unused Classified wrote the following:
Hello,
I have a new plasma TV and a bought wall mounting hardware. I used the
stud finder on the wall and found that the studs are 24 inches apart.
I drilled several small holes into the sheet rock in the area but it
seems like after I clear the sheet rock there is a half inch of dead
space before the studs. I haven't checked the whole wall but it seems
this is the case in the relevant area. Is this common? I bought
longer screws but I'm still hesitant to hang it on top of empty space.
One idea is to use 1/2 inch metal washers, if there is such a thing,
to fortify the screws.
Any other ideas?
Thanks

24" on center and the sheet rock isn't even attached to the studs? Are
you in Appalachia?
Methinks you missed the studs and hit something further into the cavity,
like an electrical wire or a pipe.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
[...]

Never heard of strapping or Resilient Channel , Huh ??? It gets screwed to
the studs and sheetrock screwed to it thus the gap between the sheetrock and
studs between the rows of strapping or Channel...Simple , amazing , almost
magical....

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 7:54*pm, Unused Classified wrote:
Hello,
I have a new plasma TV and a bought wall mounting hardware. I used the
stud finder on the wall and found that the studs are 24 inches apart.
I drilled several small holes into the sheet rock in the area but it
seems like after I clear the sheet rock there is a half inch of dead
space before the studs. *I haven't checked the whole wall but it seems
this is the case in the relevant area. *Is this common? I bought
longer screws but I'm still hesitant to hang it on top of empty space.
One idea is to use 1/2 inch metal washers, if there is such a thing,
to fortify the screws.
Any other ideas?
Thanks

What kind of studfinder are you using. Magnetic may pickup on the
nails but I dont think the sonic type would pick up a stud with a 1/2
inch gape between the stud and sheetrock. Maybe you have some old
wooden lathe between the sheet rock and studs.. I woould use my
studfinder to map out the area and see whats going on behind the
walls.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 9:41*pm, "benick" wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message

[...]

Could be, or if the studs were on 24 inch centers someone may have
added some horizontal strips to support the drywall.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hello,
I have a new plasma TV and a bought wall mounting hardware. I used the
stud finder on the wall and found that the studs are 24 inches apart.
I drilled several small holes into the sheet rock in the area but it
seems like after I clear the sheet rock there is a half inch of dead
space before the studs. I haven't checked the whole wall but it seems
this is the case in the relevant area. Is this common? I bought
longer screws but I'm still hesitant to hang it on top of empty space.
One idea is to use 1/2 inch metal washers, if there is such a thing,
to fortify the screws.
Any other ideas?
Thanks

Studs are not always in the same plane, either installed improperly or
the studs have moved (twisted, bowed, waned, etc) over time. I dont
think there is an easy fix on this one without taking the wall apart
and shimming up the set-back stud. At this point I'd put the TV on a
sturdy table and forget the wall mount.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A few more considerations for anyone when purchasing a wall mount flat
screen TV. Prepping and stripping a wall section first to accomadate
mounting hardware for the tv itself to material that will hold 1-1/2 times
the weight of the appliance, fishing wires for / installing a hidden power
plug-in outlet, surround sound or external speaker hook up and cable or
sattelite hook up. Finish up by plastering and painting the wall, making the
work invisible, neat and tidy is the only way to go.
If you are going to have cords, wires hanging down, why even bother? If you
can't do this work, hire someone who can.
Lastly,
put away the stud finder.....................unless you're hanging a
picture.

"Unused Classified" wrote in message
Hello,
I have a new plasma TV and a bought wall mounting hardware. I used the
stud finder on the wall and found that the studs are 24 inches apart.
I drilled several small holes into the sheet rock in the area but it
seems like after I clear the sheet rock there is a half inch of dead
space before the studs. I haven't checked the whole wall but it seems
this is the case in the relevant area. Is this common? I bought
longer screws but I'm still hesitant to hang it on top of empty space.
One idea is to use 1/2 inch metal washers, if there is such a thing,
to fortify the screws.
Any other ideas?
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Unused Classified wrote:
Hello,
I have a new plasma TV and a bought wall mounting hardware. I used the
stud finder on the wall and found that the studs are 24 inches apart.
I drilled several small holes into the sheet rock in the area but it
seems like after I clear the sheet rock there is a half inch of dead
space before the studs. I haven't checked the whole wall but it seems
this is the case in the relevant area. Is this common? I bought
longer screws but I'm still hesitant to hang it on top of empty space.
One idea is to use 1/2 inch metal washers, if there is such a thing,
to fortify the screws.
Any other ideas?
Thanks

I suspect that your drywall is screwed to either 1x(something) furring
strips or hat channel or something like that. I too would be very
hesitant to mount your TV any other way than directly to a stud.

If you don't mind taking a section of the wall down, could you screw
some 2x4s horizontally between two studs where you want to mount the TV,
but space them forward so that they are even with the back of the
drywall? Either that or take a sheet of plywood the same thickness as
the furring strips and attach that to the studs where you want to mount
the TV, and mount the mount to the plywood with big heavy toggle bolts?
Obviously you'll have to re-drywall and repaint that wall but you were
going to knock a hole in it anyway to put a receptacle behind the TV and
conceal the wiring to your A/V rack, right? (right?)

good luck

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Unused Classified wrote:
Hello,
I have a new plasma TV and a bought wall mounting hardware. I used the
stud finder on the wall and found that the studs are 24 inches apart.
I drilled several small holes into the sheet rock in the area but it
seems like after I clear the sheet rock there is a half inch of dead
space before the studs. I haven't checked the whole wall but it seems
this is the case in the relevant area. Is this common? I bought
longer screws but I'm still hesitant to hang it on top of empty space.
One idea is to use 1/2 inch metal washers, if there is such a thing,
to fortify the screws.
Any other ideas?
Thanks

I have no idea what is in you wall or whether your gap is real.

You could use spacers, like a length of 3/8 or 1/2" pipe long enough to
go from the stud to the wall surface. (The spacer may sink into the
stud and wood on the wall surface, so the spacer may need to be longer.)
Lag bolt goes through the spacer into the stud. What you are mounting
bears on the spacer (not the wall).

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote the following:

"willshak" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, I've heard of it, but I've never heard of 24" on center studs in
the living area of a house, unless there are no building codes where the
OP lives, hence the Appalachia reference.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:

-snip-

Yeah, I've heard of it, but I've never heard of 24" on center studs in
the living area of a house, unless there are no building codes where the
OP lives, hence the Appalachia reference.

Building codes are a 20th century thing. Lots of houses older than
that.

Also, IIRC, in the 70s when folks first started using 2x6s for studs,
some codes would allow 24" centers. 24" centers for an interior,
non-loadbearing wall wouldn't surprise me at all.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 8:29*am, "Danimal" wrote:
[...]

Ever seen one of these, centered below the TV and painted to match the
wall?

TinyUrl:

http://tinyurl.com/HideCord

Full URL:

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...atalogId=10053
Posted to alt.home.repair

bud-- wrote:
Unused Classified wrote:
[...]

yup, that'd work too. ASSuming that the studs are wood that is. Dunno
if you can even mount a TV on a metal stud wall. Steel pipe cut to
length with a chop saw would make dandy spacers. If you don't have a
chop saw you could cut them with a hacksaw or hand grinder and then
dress them on a bench grinder so the ends are perfectly flat, it'd just
take longer that way. Then you'd just have to drill a hole through the
drywall slightly larger than the OD of your spacers. I'd be tempted to
use as many fasteners as you possibly could in this instance because the
load will be concentrated on the spacers and not spread over the whole
area of contact (which you don't have) between the bracket and the wall.

will your bracket mount directly to studs spaced at 24"?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 17:48:06 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Dunno if you can even mount a TV on a metal stud wall.

According to some mounting instructions you use toggle bolts in lieu
of lag bolts.

Drill into the metal stud and mount them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Ever seen one of these, centered below the TV and painted to match the
wall?

As a matter of fact, I did. It's called a **** poor excuse for a lazy mans
way of doing a job right the first time. You can hide **** and you can paint
**** any colour. In the end, you still have **** that even looks like ****