Posted to alt.home.repair

Default remove ceiling "popcorn" from sandblasted glass?

We have an exterior entry door with several leaded glass panels - the leaded
glass is sandblasted - the glass panels picked up some overspray when we
were having the entryway area remodeled - we'll be re-painting the wood
sections of the door, but before we do that, what's the best way to remove
the "popcorn" material from the glass sections? The leaded glass won't take
a lot of scraping or pressure. THANKS!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote in message
Warm water and a soft bristle brush.

And let it sit long enough to get very soft.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"DanG" wrote in message
Warm water and a soft bristle brush.

And let it sit long enough to get very soft.
Ditto...Be patient....Use a spray bottle...Hit with the warm water mist as
many times it takes to soften up...Good luck....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TNSTAAFL" wrote in message
We have an exterior entry door with several leaded glass panels - the
leaded glass is sandblasted - the glass panels picked up some overspray
when we were having the entryway area remodeled - we'll be re-painting the
wood sections of the door, but before we do that, what's the best way to
remove the "popcorn" material from the glass sections? The leaded glass
won't take a lot of scraping or pressure. THANKS!
What Dan and benick said. ww

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 1:02*pm, "WW" wrote:
"TNSTAAFL" wrote in message

We have an exterior entry door with several leaded glass panels - the
leaded glass is sandblasted - the glass panels picked up some overspray
when we were having the entryway area remodeled - we'll be re-painting the
wood sections of the door, but before we do that, what's the best way to
remove the "popcorn" material from the glass sections? *The leaded glass
won't take a lot of scraping or pressure. *THANKS!
What Dan and benick said. ww- Hide quoted text -

Paint remover very carefully applied.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:44:19 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

Paint remover very carefully applied.

OP, Do not use paint remover.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Paint remover very carefully applied.

OP, Do not use paint remover.

Ditto...Use warm water....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Paint remover very carefully applied.

OP, Do not use paint remover.

Why not? I have done leaded glass work and would use paint remover in
that situation. I would be very worried about using anything water-
containing on the door if I was going to re-paint it as the water will
get into the wood and cause problems, while the paint remover will
soften the paint so it can easily be scraped off the glass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 5:04*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 1:02 pm, "WW" wrote:

"TNSTAAFL" wrote in message

We have an exterior entry door with several leaded glass panels - the
leaded glass is sandblasted - the glass panels picked up some overspray
when we were having the entryway area remodeled - we'll be re-painting
the
wood sections of the door, but before we do that, what's the best way to
remove the "popcorn" material from the glass sections? The leaded glass
won't take a lot of scraping or pressure. THANKS!
What Dan and benick said. ww- Hide quoted text -

Paint remover very carefully applied.

reply:

DON'T EVEN CONSIDER IT. *Idiot. *It's water based. *Water dissolves it.
There is no way to "carefully" apply paint remover.

Doofus.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 5:04*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 1:02 pm, "WW" wrote:

"TNSTAAFL" wrote in message

We have an exterior entry door with several leaded glass panels - the
leaded glass is sandblasted - the glass panels picked up some overspray
when we were having the entryway area remodeled - we'll be re-painting
the
wood sections of the door, but before we do that, what's the best way to
remove the "popcorn" material from the glass sections? The leaded glass
won't take a lot of scraping or pressure. THANKS!
What Dan and benick said. ww- Hide quoted text -

Paint remover very carefully applied.

reply:

DON'T EVEN CONSIDER IT. *Idiot. *It's water based. *Water dissolves it.
There is no way to "carefully" apply paint remover.

Doofus.- Hide quoted text -

Where does the OP say the overspray was water-based?? I have applied
paint remover using a paint brush to do almost exactly what the OP
proposes to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 9:08*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 5:04 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 1:02 pm, "WW" wrote:

"TNSTAAFL" wrote in message

[...]

reply: *I don't believe I have ever seen "popcorn" that wasn't water based
drywall mud paste with styrofoam additives. *I could be wrong, though. *I
was once before, too.

Steve- Hide quoted text -

Well, that doesn't make me an idiot or a doofus!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Dec 26, 9:08 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 5:04 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 1:02 pm, "WW" wrote:

"TNSTAAFL" wrote in message

[...]

Using powerful paint remover to remove a water based mud does.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Dec 26, 9:08 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 5:04 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 1:02 pm, "WW" wrote:

"TNSTAAFL" wrote in message

[...]

Yes it does....If the OP listened to your stupid advice he would be
re-painting trim as well.....Popcorn is made with joint compound , texture
spray mix , water and white flat wall paint...ALL water washable....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 27, 12:22*am, "benick" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 9:08 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 5:04 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 1:02 pm, "WW" wrote:

"TNSTAAFL" wrote in message

[...]

spray mix , water and white flat wall paint...ALL water washable....- Hide quoted text -

I guess I'm confused. Why would the OP HAVE to repaint the trim if he
appplied the paint remover only to the glass? I said in the original
response to apply the paint remover carefully. The OP also said that
they were going to repaint anyway. Read the original post if you
don't believe me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 9:08 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 5:04 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 1:02 pm, "WW" wrote:

[...]

Yes you are confused and an idiot...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 9:08 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 5:04 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 1:02 pm, "WW" wrote:

"TNSTAAFL" wrote in message

[...]

Yes you are confused and an idiot...- Hide quoted text -

But I have a 5-star rating and you only have 2 stars so some people
must think I am not confused and an idiot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 9:08 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 5:04 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 1:02 pm, "WW" wrote:

"TNSTAAFL" wrote in message

[...]

That's not what your wife said...JUST KIDDING..Sorry couldn't resist that
easy comeback....LOL....What the heck are you talking about ???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 02:46:48 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

Bob?, let off will you? The stuff is a water soluble goop with
ground up corn cobs to make little lumps. When it gets wet, it
falls off. There is no paint, there is no need for paint remover,
paint remover is way way overkill unless there was a paint
problem, paint remover doesn't do a good job of softening or
removing latex enamels anyway. Forget the paint remover.

Once I read that actual *popcorn* was fastened to the ceiling. Maybe
they varnished it :-/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 27, 7:35*pm, "benick" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 9:08 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 5:04 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 1:02 pm, "WW" wrote:

"TNSTAAFL" wrote in message

[...]

easy comeback....LOL....What the heck are you talking about ???- Hide quoted text -

Click on "profile" on a message you posted and see how many stars you
have on your rating. Then click on "profile" on any of my postings
and see how many stars I have.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 27, 12:22 am, "benick" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 9:08 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 5:04 pm, "Steve B"
wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in
message

On Dec 26, 1:02 pm, "WW" wrote:

"TNSTAAFL" wrote in
message

[...]

don't believe me.- Hide quoted text -

If the "popcorn" is really put on with a water-soluble matrix, then
just water/soapy water will work. But the OP didn't say exactly what
had been used and there are several types of"popcorn" ceiling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Dec 27, 7:35 pm, "benick" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 9:08 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 5:04 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 1:02 pm, "WW" wrote:

"TNSTAAFL" wrote in message

[...]

I have no profile link or button to click on...What news reader do you have
??? Never heard of such a thing..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 27, 12:22 am, "benick" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 9:08 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 5:04 pm, "Steve B"
wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in
message

On Dec 26, 1:02 pm, "WW" wrote:

"TNSTAAFL" wrote in
message

[...]

Really ??? Do tell....

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in message
On Dec 27, 12:22 am, "benick" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 9:08 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 5:04 pm, "Steve B"
wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in
message

On Dec 26, 1:02 pm, "WW" wrote:

"TNSTAAFL" wrote in
message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote

But I think I'll stick to whacking them one at a time for now. . .

Jim

There are actually a few who do have some good things to say. You might
just mention to them regarding top posting, and snipping. For some people,
google is chosen for a variety of reasons, and that's another whole thread.

I have a one strike and you're out policy. Some foul mouth or idiot will
get killfiled after one post. For others who diverse into politics, or who
rant, or who just don't know what they are talking about, it's a few times.
But don't throw the baby out with the wash water.

Steve