Old Sears, Roebuck & Co. table saw

Old December 4th 09, 07:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old Sears, Roebuck & Co. table saw

Model # 113.27520 with matching stand. Weighs a ton. Looked it up at
Sears parts direct and the only parts they have are bolts and washers,
and a newer miter gauge that will work (I suppose many will work). I
was surprised it showed a parts diagram at all!

It is missing the motor and maybe part of the motor mount but I can make
a mount. It is also missing the rip fence and the miter gauge but Sears
has a replacement for the miter gauge. I'm not sure how difficult it
would be to make, or adapt a rip fence. Looks like the original had a
geared lever to turn since in the front it has teeth along the bottom.

I've been using it as a table top and a grinder stand. Is it worth
getting it up and running again? I have a Ryobi BTS20 that my BIL gave
me and I don't do a lot of precise work, in fact I don't do much work at
all ;-) For sure I won't toss it out but not sure if it's worth putting
the money and time into it.
Old December 4th 09, 09:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 1:32*pm, Tony wrote:
[...]

I have pretty much that saw, with all the parts, in working order. I
inherited it from my father who was a cabinet maker, .Ii use it just
enough to keep the rust dowm on the table top, not enough to be any
sort of expert.
I found these pictures on the web, mine has the rolling sheet metal
base, but otherwise similar. The fence slides on mine, & clamps like
the one in the photos.
http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=9728
Old December 4th 09, 09:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 11:32*am, Tony wrote:
[...]

I had one of those but it was only 8".....cast iron table &
wings...weighed a TON!

Still had the fence and motor mount & decent motor ..... too heavy
for me, I have an 8" makita portable... good enough for the
occasional rip.

I gave the Craftsman to a former student, he was young enough & strong
enough to deal with it.

Unless the Craftsman is bigger (10" ?) than your Ryobi or you'd have
fun fixing it. I'd forget fixing it & sell it on craigslist "as
is" and let someone else put the time into it.

cheers
Bob
Bob
Old December 4th 09, 09:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I have pretty much that saw, with all the parts, in working order. I
inherited it from my father who was a cabinet maker, .Ii use it just
enough to keep the rust dowm on the table top, not enough to be any
sort of expert.
I found these pictures on the web, mine has the rolling sheet metal
base, but otherwise similar. The fence slides on mine, & clamps like
the one in the photos.
http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=9728

Were those once popular saws? I have the *exact* same saw in my garage, but
without a stand. It sits on a workbench. All of the parts are there, and it
works just fine. And it will cut just about anything.

Old December 4th 09, 10:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:
On Dec 4, 1:32 pm, Tony wrote:
[...]

That sure looks like it except mine is copper colored, looks like
original paint. And along the front is a long "rack" gear with ruler
like measurements on it. I'm guessing that to move the rip fence it had
a handle and gear. I don't know what else the rack gear could have been
for if not part of the rip fence.
Old December 5th 09, 08:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
Eric in North TX wrote:
On Dec 4, 1:32 pm, Tony wrote:
[...]

It looks a lot like the old 9" saw my father gave me. Blades were too hard to
find, which started me on the freebie 10" sears saw project. Yes, there was a
knob on the bottom of the fence you turned for small adjustments.

Old December 5th 09, 08:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 14:32:56 -0500, Tony
wrote:

[...]

Really depends on what you plan to do with it. Not a good choice for
fine furniture. Without a decent fence the saw has little value, but
maybe you can make one and a few other jigs that ride in the miter
slot for very little money. "Heavy" is a good thing and cast iron
top is much better than a pressed metal top. Often accessories for a
table saw will fit many brands, and they can become expensive.