Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remove toilet in basement

Hello,
There is a toilet in our basement that I think hasn't been used for
years (we moved in last year). I'd like to remove it.
The flange and pipe are metal.
What do I need to do to cap the sewer line. I don't think I will ever
want to hook this toilet up again.
Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

BTW, this is in a corner of the basement so I don't really care if
it's level to the floor. I'm just going to put some shelving in that
corner.
Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mash wrote:
Hello,
There is a toilet in our basement that I think hasn't been used for
years (we moved in last year). I'd like to remove it.
The flange and pipe are metal.
What do I need to do to cap the sewer line. I don't think I will ever
want to hook this toilet up again.
Thanks

You won't, but the next owner will. Normal toilet, or one of the special
up-flush models? If the latter, those are expensive and a pain to find.
And is there a sink, or the pipes for one, and a shower as well? If
next owner wants a playroom or man-cave in basement, bathroom or working
stubs for one can be a big selling point. If your heart is set on
ripping it out, cap the pipes cleanly, so they can be reused, and build
the shelves around it. Bottom shelf in a basement setting should be a
few inches off the floor anyway, in case it floods. If you don't know
how to cap pipes, pay the few bucks for a plumber to do it. For just the
sewer, plumbing aisle at the borg should have bolt-on gasketed caps that
will plug it well.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 8:29*am, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
Mash wrote:
Hello,
There is a toilet in our basement that I think hasn't been used for
years (we moved in last year). I'd like to remove it.
The flange and pipe are metal.
What do I need to do to cap the sewer line. I don't think I will ever
want to hook this toilet up again.
Thanks

Why don't you use it? It's there.

We have two bathrooms upstairs so I really don't need the 3rd toilet.
I'd rather use the space for storage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 8:10*am, aemeijers wrote:
Mash wrote:
[...]

Thanks. It's just the toilet, no sink or shower. I would definitely
rather just cap it than rip it out, so I'll look for the bolt-on cap
that you mentioned.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mash wrote:
[...]

Oh, and the toilet is just a normal one. So yeah, I think the best is
to leave everything in place and just cap...I actually plan on
finishing a portion of the basement and who knows, I might want a
toilet down there someday in the distant future when my kids are
teenagers or something.
I'll go to home depot and see if they have a cap. Do I need to remove
the flange to put the cap on?
Posted to alt.home.repair

If it's not 1.6 galon per flush, the toilet may be valuable
on the used market. Capping the line for the next owner to
use later makes a lot of sense.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mash" wrote in message

We have two bathrooms upstairs so I really don't need the
3rd toilet.
I'd rather use the space for storage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mash wrote:
[...]

the flange to put the cap on?- Hide quoted text -

"I might want a toilet down there someday in the distant future
when my kids are teenagers or something."

I don't know how many teenagers you plan on having, but for a while I
had 4.

When we moved in we had a full bath on the 2nd floor and a very, very
rough toilet & shower in the basement. Slab floor, crooked 2 x 2 open
stud walls, etc. The wife wouldn't even use it.

I gutted it and put in a new toilet, shower stall and sink.

With 6 people, 2 bathrooms were barely enough. I sure wish we had room
for a powder room on the 1st floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 6:08*am, Mash wrote:
Hello,
There is a toilet in our basement that I think hasn't been used for
years (we moved in last year). I'd like to remove it.
The flange and pipe are metal.
What do I need to do to cap the sewer line. I don't think I will ever
want to hook this toilet up again.
Thanks

You can get rubber plugs in a variety of diameters at HD or Lowes.
They have a bolt thru the middle and you tighten it to expand the plug
until it is tight. All you need is a fairly smooth inside surface on
the location where the plug will be installed as it can expand about
1/2 inch for a 3 or 4 inch diameter when tightened down all the way.
You definitely need to leave the capability to reinstall a toilet in
the future as it is a big selling point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 11:54*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Dec 4, 6:08*am, Mash wrote:

Hello,
There is a toilet in our basement that I think hasn't been used for
years (we moved in last year). I'd like to remove it.
The flange and pipe are metal.
What do I need to do to cap the sewer line. I don't think I will ever
want to hook this toilet up again.
Thanks

You *can get rubber plugs in a variety of diameters at HD or Lowes.
They have a bolt thru the middle and you tighten it to expand the plug
until it is tight. *All you need is a fairly smooth inside surface on
the location where the plug will be installed as it can expand about
1/2 inch for a 3 or 4 inch diameter when tightened down all the way.
You definitely need to leave the capability to reinstall a toilet in
the future as it is a big selling point.

Can the rubber plugs be left in for years? Or will they corrode after
some time?
Thanks everyone for the input

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 12:47*pm, Mash wrote:
On Dec 4, 11:54*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Dec 4, 6:08*am, Mash wrote:

[...]

There is one plugging the floor drain in our basement laundry room -
not sure why the previous owners installed it but no trouble with it
for the 15 years we've been in the house. -- H
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 1:47*pm, Mash wrote:
On Dec 4, 11:54*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Dec 4, 6:08*am, Mash wrote:

[...]

Thanks everyone for the input- Hide quoted text -

A decent plug should last for many, many years.

Here's a tip to check the plug:

After you install the plug, lay some toilet paper on the floor with
the ends just covering the seam between the plug and the flange. Then
have someone flush one of the upstairs toilets. If the toilet paper
doesn't move, then odds are you have no air leakage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
If it's not 1.6 galon per flush, the toilet may be valuable
on the used market. Capping the line for the next owner to
use later makes a lot of sense.

Low flow toilets work better than the old ones.

http://www.americanstandard-us.com/v..._Flushing_Demo
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 9:04*am, Mash wrote:
I'll go to home depot and see if they have a cap. Do I need to remove
the flange to put the cap on?

No. When you get the cap, installation will be obvious, but I will
describe it here anyway:

The cap simply bolts on in place of the toilet. Two bolts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 15:16:07 -0500, Tony

If that is an older toilet with a large tank, I advise you to retain
it. If you ever do desire a toilet in the basement, it will perform
much better than new low flow units will down there.

Most decent mid priced low flow toilets work just fine, higher end ones
are even better. In fact the good low flow toilets work better than
many old toilets that use much more water. The complete kits for $99.99
are ****. You get what you pay for. I lost track of when I installed
an American Standard Champion 4. Probably over 6 months ago. I do know
that I have never had to plunge it, or even flush it twice to finish the
job. Guaranteed to flush something like 14 golf balls, although I
seldom eat golf balls and when I do I chew them.

Check this out:
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/v..._Flushing_Demo

Tony - I know all of that already. This toilet is IN THE BASEMENT,
where you don't have much gravity to help your toilet flush. It makes
a gigantic difference.

I hope you are joking or mixing up "gravity" with some other word. I
never noticed feeling lighter when down in the basement! ;-)

In case you were serious, toilets actually work by siphon action. The
siphon action in the toilet itself, nothing to do with the plumbing.
Once it gets to the plumbing there is no siphon action due to the vent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not true, I have a Toto toilet that will out perform any thing on the
market. Maybe you never heard of Toto , do a little research on it.

wrote in message
news

Mash wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 3:55�pm, "pacca" wrote:
Not true, I have a Toto toilet that will out perform any thing on the
market. Maybe you never heard of Toto , do a little research on it.

\

Isnt Toto the toilet that sounds like a 747 at takeoff?

a friend has one, they rarely flush at nite, cause it wakes the entire
family
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mash wrote:
On Dec 4, 11:54 am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Dec 4, 6:08 am, Mash wrote:

[...]

I'd go with a gasketed bolt-down lid, that is fitted to the flange just
like a toilet is. If borg doesn't have them, a real plumbing supply
will. Or just fabricate one from thick sheet metal, and install it over
a fresh non-wax toilet ring tall enough to make a good seal. Yeah,
inflated rubber will rot at some point, and you will get sewer smells
(or worse, backups), in the basement. I've even seen it done with a
layer of rubber gasket material from auto parts store, and bolted-down
disc of plywood. Not like it has to stand a lot of pressure or anything.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 15:48:56 -0500, Tony

[...]

Have you noticed any difference in the effort required to walk uphill
compared to walking downhill?

In case you were serious, toilets actually work by siphon action. The
siphon action in the toilet itself, nothing to do with the plumbing.
Once it gets to the plumbing there is no siphon action due to the vent.

You have much to learn.

OP never said what level his sewer outflow pipe was at. In modern
subdivisions, they are usually partway up basement wall, but if this is
an older urban house or a sloped lot or something, his sewer outflow
could actually be low enough for a conventional toilet to work in the
basement. All depends on how level of basement slab relates to sewer
main level. My basement slab is actually slightly above street level,
but no sewers out here.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Tony wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
If it's not 1.6 galon per flush, the toilet may be valuable
on the used market. Capping the line for the next owner to
use later makes a lot of sense.

Low flow toilets work better than the old ones.

http://www.americanstandard-us.com/v..._Flushing_Demo

Giggle

Mine works just like the video, except with a real load. I think it
takes less than 2 seconds to completely flush.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

OH! You must be talking about the flush up toilets! I missed where the
OP said it was one of them. Lots of basement floors are above the
septic line.

In case you were serious, toilets actually work by siphon action. The
siphon action in the toilet itself, nothing to do with the plumbing.
Once it gets to the plumbing there is no siphon action due to the vent.

You have much to learn.

Can you teach me?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
If it's not 1.6 galon per flush, the toilet may be valuable
on the used market. Capping the line for the next owner to
use later makes a lot of sense.

I managed to find a friebie taker for one high flow toilet. He had a cabin with
a well and didn't care. Two others I gave up and broke them up with a
sledgehammer, and disposed of them in the garbage. Not a high demand item.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 16:39:20 -0500, aemeijers

[...]

I know all this stuff. My pipe is in the basement floor and exits the
house many feet below grade. Being that flow from the basement toilet
is on that essentially horizontal run means that a low flow toilet
often doesn't push the waste far enough in the pipe, and it can build
up just outside the toilet, causing subsequent flushes to be less
effective and prone to backing up. Upstairs, the waste leaves the
toilet and has a significant drop which gets it well clear of the
toilet, preventing buildup or backups. A low flow toilet model that
works very well on my first floor, did not work well in my basement.
The only difference being the 8 or 10 foot vertical drop from the
first floor toilet down to the horizontal line in the basement floor.

In other words, I actually have low flow toilets in my house and they
work fine when used in conjuction with gravity (upstairs) to keep the
line near the toilet clear. I have actually installed the same model
in my basement, where it is mounted directly to the line in the floor,
and it didn't work well. I put the original toilet back and the new
one is sitting uninstalled elsewhere in the basement.

I'm not guessing. I have first hand experience.

I'm not against low flow toilets. I have them on 2 floors of my house
and they are completely trouble free. They just don't work as well in
the basement. I like them enough that I went out and bought one to
replace a perfectly good working OLD toilet in my basement. If it had
worked, I would have been pleased. It didn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 17:20:49 -0500, Tony

[...]

No, I'm not talking about flushing uphill, Tony. Let's try this again.
Do you notice any diffence in energy required to ride a bicycle on a
flat road compared to riding a bicycle down a hill?

In case you were serious, toilets actually work by siphon action. The
siphon action in the toilet itself, nothing to do with the plumbing.
Once it gets to the plumbing there is no siphon action due to the vent.

You have much to learn.

Can you teach me?

That's a good question. So far, you seem pretty slow to understand
things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:28:15 -0800, "Bob F"

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:55:15 -0600, "pacca" wrote:

Not true, I have a Toto toilet that will out perform any thing on the
market. Maybe you never heard of Toto , do a little research on it.

I OWN 3 Toto toilets. They work great - on the first and second floor.
I tried one in my basement and it didn't perform as well as the old
toilet being replaced, so I took it out and put the old one back.

So is that where your claim of not working in the basement comes from? One
sample?

One very clear example where 3 identical toilets sharing one waste
line have different performance. The two toilets that work well are
almost directly above the one in the basement. There is very little
that is different except the one in the basement is mounted directly
to the wasteline in the slab, and lacks any vertical drop like the one
that the other two toilets take advantage of to work properly.

If the basement is plumbed properly, it should make no difference.

You are guessing. I am not guessing.

The basement is plumbed properly. Proof of that is that the original
toilet WHICH I PUT BACK AFTER THE LOW FLOW DIDN"T WORK WELL, works
perfectly and has never had a problem or backed up in the 20 years or
so I've been here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

That depends on what gear I'm in uphill vs. downhill.

In case you were serious, toilets actually work by siphon action. The
siphon action in the toilet itself, nothing to do with the plumbing.
Once it gets to the plumbing there is no siphon action due to the vent.
You have much to learn.

Can you teach me?

That's a good question. So far, you seem pretty slow to understand
things.

Ok, I got it! Your toto toilet doesn't work well in the basement due to
differences in _your_ plumbing, so that means _all_ low flow toilets
will not work well in basements.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 09:26:09 -0500, Tony

[...]

You just failed the test badly.

In case you were serious, toilets actually work by siphon action. The
siphon action in the toilet itself, nothing to do with the plumbing.
Once it gets to the plumbing there is no siphon action due to the vent.
You have much to learn.
Can you teach me?

That's a good question. So far, you seem pretty slow to understand
things.

Ok, I got it! Your toto toilet doesn't work well in the basement due to
differences in _your_ plumbing, so that means _all_ low flow toilets
will not work well in basements.

No, obviously you "don't got it".

Posted to alt.home.repair

No not true, there fast and quit , the city of Seattle did a study on
virtually every 1.6 gal toilets, Toto came in # 1 in all categories, you can
find it on the web with a search .

wrote in message
On Dec 4, 3:55�pm, "pacca" wrote:
Not true, I have a Toto toilet that will out perform any thing on the
market. Maybe you never heard of Toto , do a little research on it.

\

Isnt Toto the toilet that sounds like a 747 at takeoff?

a friend has one, they rarely flush at nite, cause it wakes the entire
family

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Dec 4, 3:55?pm, "pacca" wrote:
Not true, I have a Toto toilet that will out perform any thing on the
market. Maybe you never heard of Toto , do a little research on it.

\

Isnt Toto the toilet that sounds like a 747 at takeoff?

a friend has one, they rarely flush at nite, cause it wakes the entire
family

Some of the older low water toilets used a power flush that could be heard
miles away. New ones are the same noise level as the old five gallon
models. There are a few good ones available from all the companies now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Dec 4, 3:55?pm, "pacca" wrote:
Not true, I have a Toto toilet that will out perform any thing on the
market. Maybe you never heard of Toto , do a little research on it.

\

Isnt Toto the toilet that sounds like a 747 at takeoff?

a friend has one, they rarely flush at nite, cause it wakes the entire
family

There are some low flow toilets that have a pressurized tank in them
with a bladder or diaphram that stores the water utilizing the 40-50
pounds of pressure in the domestic water supply to give them a boost.
Those are pretty noisy when they flush.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Dec 4, 3:55?pm, "pacca" wrote:
Not true, I have a Toto toilet that will out perform any thing on the
market. Maybe you never heard of Toto , do a little research on it.
\

Isnt Toto the toilet that sounds like a 747 at takeoff?

a friend has one, they rarely flush at nite, cause it wakes the entire
family

Some of the older low water toilets used a power flush that could be heard
miles away. New ones are the same noise level as the old five gallon
models. There are a few good ones available from all the companies now.

The American Standard Cadets are pretty good. I know several people
who have them. They are relatively inexpensive.