Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding insulation to a mobile home

Here I sit, in my Mobile Mansion, feeling a chill in the air and
wondering what I can do to make it better.

First I was thinking about 1 inch rigid foam over the shingles with a
steel roof over that. Searching the net I see people are filling the
entire "attic" spaces in mobiles with blown in fiberglass insulation.
(Cellulose insulation is too heavy and can corrode steel roofs) Well
mine isn't steel, it's trusses, underlayment, and shingles. Anyone seen
something that looks good, or warn me about something bad?

I had one gable end open once so it looks feasable doing blown in from
each end, but the drawback is the living room with cathedral ceiling
leaves no access or room for insulation there. I suppose that could get
the foam on the inside ceiling and drywall, but a second layer of
drywall is probably too much of a load on it.

Any ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:19:20 -0500, Tony
wrote:

Here I sit, in my Mobile Mansion, feeling a chill in the air and
wondering what I can do to make it better.

Any ideas?

Better ( storm) windows.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Here I sit, in my Mobile Mansion, feeling a chill in the air and
wondering what I can do to make it better.

Any ideas?

Better ( storm) windows.

Hi,
Also insulated skirting for the floor if there is none.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Here I sit, in my Mobile Mansion, feeling a chill in the air and
wondering what I can do to make it better.

Any ideas?

Better ( storm) windows.

Hi,
Also insulated skirting for the floor if there is none.

When I spent a winter in Columbia Missouri in the early 70s skirting
really made a difference. In this case the skirting was lattice
blocked with snow.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

What the others have said, is true. Trailers have not enough
wall thickness, and seldom enough insulation in the roof.
And leaky windows. And they lose heat under the floor.

What I've done in mine. A couple friends and I cut open the
ends of the roof, and blew in several bags of cellulose. I
had some 2 inch PVC left over from another job. That fit
into the blower hose, and allowed the guys to inject fluff
farther in. I'm sure the center didn't get insulated, but
it's better than it was.

A couple of the windows were single pane. I packed in pink
fiberglass, and then stapled plastic on the inside. Helps, a
lot. Looks awful. Who cares?

Under the trailer, I found some of the heat run,
uninsulated. That got packed with fiberglass, and then mylar
foil bubble wrap stapled up from under.

When it starts to snow, I fill the floor model humidifier,
and keep a little humidity in the trailer. During the bitter
cold, it takes about two galons a day of water. Which tells
me I'm losing a lot of air some how. I should go around and
do what I can to tighten up some more.

Also installed a 90 percent efficiency furnace, which helps
a bit with the fuel costs.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I did pretty much the same thing as Stormin describes. I used cellulose,
which has been satisfactory so far (12-13yrs?) If I could do t over, I
would have imsisted om fiberglass though. I hired mine done-- at the
time the whole thing was $300, which more than payed for itself in one
summer. Not long after that, I removedthe aluminum skin, added
fiberglass batts, then the foil backed foam sheathing and wood siding,
and replaced the windows at the same time.I was far more intersted in
keeping the place cool than warm (S Tx). Place still isn't gonna win any
prizes for energy efficiency, but compared to the way it was----.no
comparison. Another option for the roof is sprayed foam---urethane(?) I
talked to a customer a while back who had that done on a regular house,
with a fairly low pitched roof, and he said he had no complaints
whatever after 10+ yrs. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Here I sit, in my Mobile Mansion, feeling a chill in the air and
wondering what I can do to make it better.

Any ideas?

Better ( storm) windows.

That's a possibility. My current windows are basically 1 storm window
on the outside and one storm window on the inside with about 3 3/4" of
air in between. Not the tightest fit but not really that bad either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Here I sit, in my Mobile Mansion, feeling a chill in the air and
wondering what I can do to make it better.

Any ideas?

Better ( storm) windows.

Hi,
Also insulated skirting for the floor if there is none.

It has skirting of sorts. Concrete block with stucco, and with the
automatic opening vents. (they close at around 50f) Once when it got
down below zero it went down to 40F under there (I leave a thermometer
next to the plumbing stuff). Insulation wouldn't be easy. Also the
bottom or belly of the house is insulated and in pretty good condition.

I don't know why but the locals, even masons call the block skirting
"underpinning" even though it gives no support to the house.