Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to clean outside of white aluminum gutters

They are discolored with vertical gray streaks on the sides, and gray
spots on the bottom where water flowing down the sides accumulate in
"puddles" along the bottom outside corner.

I've tried the following, applied with a saturated paper towel to small
test areas:
-- full-strength bleach
-- full-strength Simple Green
-- full-strength white vinegar
-- full-strength TSP substitute
-- 91% rubbing alcohol. Some improvement, but labor intensive to do all
158 feet.
-- paint thinner

I've also tried the following:
-- spray gas log cleaner
-- spray Fantastic
-- a mix of bleach with Oxydol laundry detergent, applied with brush.
Makes some improvement.
-- a mix of 1 part Simple Green, 1 part bleach, 2 parts water, applied
with a sponge. Makes some improvement.

I haven't tried ammonia, since I don't have any in the house.

I admit that I haven't had the patience to wait 5 to 10 minutes for any
of the above to work. I was hoping to find something that I could apply
with a dust-pan brush and have the streaks magically disappear
immediately. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ray
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 3:07*pm, Ray K wrote:
[...]

I know it sounds crazy but just use some Dawn classic dish washing
detergent and a broom. Works great that's what I use on my white
gutters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K wrote in news:4b01bef6$0$31271
:

[...]

I recently did some with the same problem with some house wash from the
Borg. Applied with fairly flexible brush on a handle. Let it sit maybe 5
minutes. Rebrusheded. Rinsed.

Happen to have pics of the difference:

http://tinypic.com/r/2ijj61t/4
http://tinypic.com/r/i50zrk/4

If, as you say, you don't have the patience to wait 5 to 10 minutes,
where did you get the patience to repeatedly not try it once and
continually fail?

If your time is that valuable to you, hire soemone. If they fail it's on
them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lisa BB." wrote in message

What's the Borg, please?

Slang. Any of the big box stores such as Home Depot or Lowes

Posted to alt.home.repair

They are discolored with vertical gray streaks on the sides,

I used to use "Scrubbing Bubbles" and an old sport sock to remove the "black
streaks" from my RV

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Try JOMAX .. available at ACE & both Borgs .. .. 1 part JOMAX + 4 parts
bleach + 20 parts water ..

Spray it on .. watch the stains go from black to gray to orange to
yellow to GONE.

Rinsing is optional, but I usually do it just to keep any nasty chemical
reactions to a minimum.

This stuf is GREAT and has to be the best kept secret around.

They are discolored with vertical gray streaks on the sides, and gray
spots on the bottom where water flowing down the sides accumulate in
"puddles" along the bottom outside corner.

em.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K wrote:
[...]

It sounds like the stains are oxidized aluminum. Repaint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 07:16:31 -0500, "
wrote:

Ray K wrote:
[...]

Might also be mildew, which Jomax will remove easily.

If mildew, bleach would have removed it right away. Bare aluminum,
either cut edges or where paint has worn away, will oxidize and cause
the stains as water runs....looking at the location/pattern of stains
should answer that question.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

-snip-
Might also be mildew, which Jomax will remove easily.

If mildew, bleach would have removed it right away.

Not my mildew. I soak some white outside chairs in a strong
solution of Clorox every couple of years. just wiping it on full
strength does nothing.

Never tried Jomax- but it is now on my shopping list.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/16/2009 4:07 PM (ET) Ray K wrote the following:
[...]

I painted mine with semigloss white exterior latex paint. They don't get
as dirty as before and just clean up with soap and water.
It'll probably takes less time to paint than the time it takes for you
to clean them.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/16/2009 10:21 PM (ET) Lisa BB. wrote the following:
Red Green wrote in
:

[...]

Big-Orange-Retail-Giant. Originally just Home Depot, because it is their
color, but now includes Lowe's and other large home improvement
franchise stores.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

I recently did some with the same problem with some house wash from the
Borg. Applied with fairly flexible brush on a handle. Let it sit maybe 5
minutes. Rebrusheded. Rinsed.

Happen to have pics of the difference:

http://tinypic.com/r/2ijj61t/4
http://tinypic.com/r/i50zrk/4

If, as you say, you don't have the patience to wait 5 to 10 minutes,
where did you get the patience to repeatedly not try it once and
continually fail?

If your time is that valuable to you, hire soemone. If they fail it's on
them.

The house is a ranch, so most of the time I stand on the ground and use
a saturated broom to reach the gutters and most of the siding. When I
was trying to spot-apply the various solutions above, I only had to go
up two steps on a ladder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/17/2009 1:15 AM (ET) __ Bøb __ wrote the following:
Try JOMAX .. available at ACE & both Borgs .. .. 1 part JOMAX + 4
parts bleach + 20 parts water ..

Spray it on .. watch the stains go from black to gray to orange to
yellow to GONE.

Rinsing is optional, but I usually do it just to keep any nasty
chemical reactions to a minimum.

This stuf is GREAT and has to be the best kept secret around.

They are discolored with vertical gray streaks on the sides, and
gray spots on the bottom where water flowing down the sides
accumulate in "puddles" along the bottom outside corner.

em.

You have to be careful with some cleaning solutions on aluminum gutters.
The gutters have a very thin coat of baked on paint.
I used a product that was meant for cleaning plastic garden furniture,
because it also cleaned almost everything else that regular cleaners
could not, and after spraying it on the gutters and wiping it off, it
started to dissolve the baked on paint and I had to stop. I then
repainted the gutters instead.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote in
:

[...]

The stuff I had used was even labeled something like eco-green. I was
surprised how well it worked. Lucky I guess. When I initially but it on
and brushed, very little came off. Letting it sit for 5 min (without
drying!) then rebrushing was like magic. Like I said, just lucky.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/17/2009 9:17 AM (ET) Jim Elbrecht wrote the following:
" wrote:

-snip-

Might also be mildew, which Jomax will remove easily.

If mildew, bleach would have removed it right away.

Not my mildew. I soak some white outside chairs in a strong
solution of Clorox every couple of years. just wiping it on full
strength does nothing.

Never tried Jomax- but it is now on my shopping list.

Jim

The stuff I used to use was ZEP Patio Furniture Cleaner ( found at HD).
Unfortunately, ZEP doesn't make it anymore, but I found a another brand,
Spray Nine Patio Furniture Cleaner, which seems to work as well.
http://tinyurl.com/ya4m8q5

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K wrote:
[...]

I have never cleaned any white ones but Lowes had a closeout sale for
some kind of plastic drip edge to snap on so they never get streaky
again. They had a big drum full of them but they are probably gone in
the trash by now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ray K, Sean wrote:

raykosXXX wrote:

[...]

Ray,
Get you some Blue Wolf All Purpose Cleaner
www.bluewolfcleaner.com
I personally guarantee that it will take the black streaks from your
gutters.
You can purchase it in select Wal-Mart Stores .
Contact me via email or phone and i can let you know where you may be able
to purchase it.
You can purchase it from our website as well.
I look forward to hearing from you.
276-326-2583

Sean

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ray K, Mr. Nate wrote:
Great way to get the black grime off is Wesleys Bleach White.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...rs-406844-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ray K, Daniel Andrews wrote:
3 quarts water 1 quart bleach 2 oz. TSP cleaner put into pressure
sprayer. Wet area with water and apply solution. Wait ten minutes or till
area starts to dry, and apply again. Then pressure wash away! The secret is in
number of applications with the solution and allowing atleast ten minutes to
soak in. Also scrubbing while waiting is a good pass time and only helps your
cause. If you apply patience to most things the results seem to be
professional

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...rs-406844-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/24/2016 10:44 PM, Daniel Andrews wrote:
replying to Ray K, Daniel Andrews wrote:
3 quarts water 1 quart bleach 2 oz. TSP cleaner put into pressure
sprayer. Wet area with water and apply solution. Wait ten minutes or till
area starts to dry, and apply again. Then pressure wash away! The secret
is in
number of applications with the solution and allowing atleast ten
minutes to
soak in. Also scrubbing while waiting is a good pass time and only helps
your
cause. If you apply patience to most things the results seem to be
professional

I did that lat year. Really did a good job just using a regular hose to
rinse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have you been doing that since the OP 7 years ago??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/24/2016 11:21 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/24/2016 10:44 PM, Daniel Andrews wrote:
replying to Ray K, Daniel Andrews wrote:
3 quarts water 1 quart bleach 2 oz. TSP cleaner put into pressure
sprayer. Wet area with water and apply solution. Wait ten minutes or till
area starts to dry, and apply again. Then pressure wash away! The secret
is in
number of applications with the solution and allowing atleast ten
minutes to
soak in. Also scrubbing while waiting is a good pass time and only helps
your
cause. If you apply patience to most things the results seem to be
professional

I did that lat year. Really did a good job just using a regular hose to
rinse.

Does it need any bristle brush scrubbing?

A couple days ago, I tried Westley's Bleche
White (from the auto parts store) on white
news paper tube, and it did some good. Also
on white aluminum trailer siding.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2016 6:17 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I'm sure brushing would make if faster, but in my case, it did not need it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2016 8:19 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Thank you. Supposed to rain tomorrow. I'll try and
remember to try this in the AM before the rain washes
my trailer for me. Would be nice to make it look a
bit cleaner. Will let you know how it works out.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

You might want to read the directions for your pressure washer to ensure
bleach based products won't harm its innards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Much appreciated. I did remove a lot of dirt
and crud from the outside of my (white, aluminum)
trailer sides. The formula was not 100% perfect,
but did a considerable lot of good. I've been
here about twenty years. This is the cleanest
I've seen in those years. And I did try power
washing with clean water, a couple years ago.

Some day in dry weather, I may paint over some
of the dirty areas. Well, some day.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

i have a similar problem:

aluminum garage doors, a medium brown color,
that i can't seem to get clean...
the afternoon sun may have [almost] baked stains onto them

Bleach comes up often in the comments. I may try some, in a small test area

marc
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2016 10:54 PM, Steve Stone wrote:
You might want to read the directions for your pressure washer to ensure
bleach based products won't harm its innards.

Good point, but best not to use a pressure washer for application. Use
a pump sprayer like you use for the garden. Let is soak a bit, then
pressure wash with plain water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2016 4:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/25/2016 10:54 PM, Steve Stone wrote:
You might want to read the directions for your pressure washer to ensure
bleach based products won't harm its innards.

Good point, but best not to use a pressure washer for application. Use
a pump sprayer like you use for the garden. Let is soak a bit, then
pressure wash with plain water.

I did pump sprayer, nylon scrub brush, then
garden hose (no power washer). Lot of dirt
came off, some discoloring remains.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ray K, RonC wrote:
I have used acetone. Place on rag and wipe. Do not wipe too much. Acetone
actually removes a thin layer of paint. My steps ...
1. Wash with soap and water. Let dry.
2. Dampen a rag with acetone and wipe in one direction. Always wipe from clean
into dirty area. Otherwise dirty paint will smear out if you wipe back and
forth.
3. Apply car wax to protect paint.
I will try to upload images.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...rs-406844-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/27/2017 1:14 PM, RonC wrote:
replying to Ray K, RonC wrote:
I have used acetone. Place on rag and wipe. Do not wipe too much. Acetone
actually removes a thin layer of paint. My steps ...
1. Wash with soap and water. Let dry.
2. Dampen a rag with acetone and wipe in one direction. Always wipe from
clean
into dirty area. Otherwise dirty paint will smear out if you wipe back and
forth.
3. Apply car wax to protect paint. I will try to upload images.

Acetone has some potential risks. I just use a strong bleach solution
and a garden sprayer. Rinse. Done
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ray K, RonC wrote:
I have used acetone. Place on rag and wipe. Do not wipe too much. Acetone
actually removes a thin layer of paint. My steps ...
1. Wash with soap and water. Let dry.
2. Dampen a rag with acetone and wipe in one direction. Always wipe
from clean
into dirty area. Otherwise dirty paint will smear out if you wipe back
and
forth.
3. Apply car wax to protect paint. I will try to upload images.

Acetone has some potential risks.Â* I just use a strong bleach solution
and a garden sprayer.Â* Rinse. Done

1/2 cup of bleach and 1/2 cup of TSP in a gallon of water. Spray it on
and brush it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ray K, Bryan Kelley wrote:
Strait simple green from a spray bottle. Spray it on, immediately wipe with
one cloth and use a second cloth to dry. The warmer the temperature the
better. I do this all the time. Did large house today, took 5 hours for
gutters and soffit.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...rs-406844-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ray K, Tony Bailey wrote:
Dollar general sells some stuff called Totally Awesome works great on gutters
just dont leave on there to long

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...rs-406844-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2018 10:44 AM, Tony Bailey wrote:
replying to Ray K, Tony BaileyÂ* wrote:
Dollar general sells some stuff called Totally Awesome works great on
gutters
just dont leave on there to long

I get it at Dollar Tree. I use it in the bathrooms and cleaning the
stove after frying greasy stuff. It is my major cleaner around here.

Look for yellow stuff in a bottle Really good for a buck.