How to clean outside of white aluminum gutters

Old November 16th 09, 09:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to clean outside of white aluminum gutters

They are discolored with vertical gray streaks on the sides, and gray
spots on the bottom where water flowing down the sides accumulate in
"puddles" along the bottom outside corner.

I've tried the following, applied with a saturated paper towel to small
test areas:
-- full-strength bleach
-- full-strength Simple Green
-- full-strength white vinegar
-- full-strength TSP substitute
-- 91% rubbing alcohol. Some improvement, but labor intensive to do all
158 feet.
-- paint thinner

I've also tried the following:
-- spray gas log cleaner
-- spray Fantastic
-- a mix of bleach with Oxydol laundry detergent, applied with brush.
Makes some improvement.
-- a mix of 1 part Simple Green, 1 part bleach, 2 parts water, applied
with a sponge. Makes some improvement.

I haven't tried ammonia, since I don't have any in the house.

I admit that I haven't had the patience to wait 5 to 10 minutes for any
of the above to work. I was hoping to find something that I could apply
with a dust-pan brush and have the streaks magically disappear
immediately. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ray
Old November 16th 09, 10:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 3:07*pm, Ray K wrote:
[...]

I know it sounds crazy but just use some Dawn classic dish washing
detergent and a broom. Works great that's what I use on my white
gutters.

Old November 17th 09, 01:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K wrote in news:4b01bef6$0$31271
:

[...]

I recently did some with the same problem with some house wash from the
Borg. Applied with fairly flexible brush on a handle. Let it sit maybe 5
minutes. Rebrusheded. Rinsed.

Happen to have pics of the difference:

http://tinypic.com/r/2ijj61t/4
http://tinypic.com/r/i50zrk/4

If, as you say, you don't have the patience to wait 5 to 10 minutes,
where did you get the patience to repeatedly not try it once and
continually fail?

If your time is that valuable to you, hire soemone. If they fail it's on
them.
Old November 17th 09, 03:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Lisa BB." wrote in message

What's the Borg, please?

Slang. Any of the big box stores such as Home Depot or Lowes

Old November 17th 09, 05:57 AM posted to alt.home.repair

They are discolored with vertical gray streaks on the sides,

I used to use "Scrubbing Bubbles" and an old sport sock to remove the "black
streaks" from my RV

Old November 17th 09, 06:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Try JOMAX .. available at ACE & both Borgs .. .. 1 part JOMAX + 4 parts
bleach + 20 parts water ..

Spray it on .. watch the stains go from black to gray to orange to
yellow to GONE.

Rinsing is optional, but I usually do it just to keep any nasty chemical
reactions to a minimum.

This stuf is GREAT and has to be the best kept secret around.

They are discolored with vertical gray streaks on the sides, and gray
spots on the bottom where water flowing down the sides accumulate in
"puddles" along the bottom outside corner.

em.

Old November 17th 09, 12:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K wrote:
[...]

It sounds like the stains are oxidized aluminum. Repaint.
Old November 17th 09, 02:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 07:16:31 -0500, "
wrote:

Ray K wrote:
[...]

Might also be mildew, which Jomax will remove easily.

If mildew, bleach would have removed it right away. Bare aluminum,
either cut edges or where paint has worn away, will oxidize and cause
the stains as water runs....looking at the location/pattern of stains
should answer that question.
Old November 17th 09, 02:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

-snip-
Might also be mildew, which Jomax will remove easily.

If mildew, bleach would have removed it right away.

Not my mildew. I soak some white outside chairs in a strong
solution of Clorox every couple of years. just wiping it on full
strength does nothing.

Never tried Jomax- but it is now on my shopping list.

Jim