Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC Energy Saver mode

I have a 1 yr old through the wall unit, around 18000 btu with a 220v
plug.

I have two questions about the energy saver featu

1) Does the energy saver mode make a measurable difference in energy
use? Mine goes on and off in what I think is short cycles, I assume
because the room temp increases rapidly. I keep the temp set at
around 74 deg. The room stays comfortable enough.

2) Is all of that turning on and off bad for the unit? Should I just
keep it on regular mode running all the time, instead? I know that
the cooling part cycles on and off to keep the temp constant so I
assume the energy saver feature just controls the fan?

TIA.

Sue(tm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Curly Sue" wrote in message

I have a 1 yr old through the wall unit, around 18000 btu with a 220v
plug.

1) Does the energy saver mode make a measurable difference in energy
use? Mine goes on and off in what I think is short cycles, I assume
because the room temp increases rapidly. I keep the temp set at
around 74 deg. The room stays comfortable enough.

Not sure what the desiners meant by energy saver mode in your unit. Any
description in the User Manual? Or is it in Chinese?

Don't see how short cycles save energy, it the thermostat (inside) setting
is the same. Is the speed any different? Did you measure the room temp.
If it's the same in both settings, can't see where the savings come from.

2) Is all of that turning on and off bad for the unit? Should I just
keep it on regular mode running all the time, instead? I know that
the cooling part cycles on and off to keep the temp constant so I
assume the energy saver feature just controls the fan?

Depending how often it cycles. Starting a motor does increase the temp
temporarily, but it stabilizes in a minute or so. If the cycles are several
minutes, there should be no prob. Again assuming the design eng KNEW what
he was doing. Slower fan speed will save a bit of energy, but very little.

Check the temp and cycle time. See how much running time you get in an hour
in both modes. If the same, you're not saving much. Again all that should
be in User Manual, if the unit is made by a good company.

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair

RichK wrote:
Not sure what the desiners meant by energy saver mode in your unit. Any
description in the User Manual? Or is it in Chinese?

At least on my (smaller) Kenmore window unit, the energy saver mode
means the fan only runs when the compressor is running. This means the
whole thing turns off each time the compressor cycle is done, so maybe
it sounds like it is taking shorter cycles. I would think the
compressor would use a vast majority of the energy, and that running
the fan between cycles might make a small difference. I usually use
the energy saver mode on the AC, but keep the ceiling fan on low to
circulate air - I prefer this combination to the regular mode AC.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 09:42:05 -0400, "RichK" wrote:

"Curly Sue" wrote in message

I have a 1 yr old through the wall unit, around 18000 btu with a 220v
plug.

1) Does the energy saver mode make a measurable difference in energy
use? Mine goes on and off in what I think is short cycles, I assume
because the room temp increases rapidly. I keep the temp set at
around 74 deg. The room stays comfortable enough.

Not sure what the desiners meant by energy saver mode in your unit. Any
description in the User Manual? Or is it in Chinese?

I found this on the website (it's a GE):

Energy Saver Switch
A sought-after feature of GE Room Air Conditioners is the Energy Saver
Switch. With the switch in the "normal" position, the fan runs
continuously and provides more uniform temperature in the room. In the
"save" position, the fan turns off and on with the air conditioner's
compressor to help reduce power consumption and operating cost.

2) Is all of that turning on and off bad for the unit? Should I just
keep it on regular mode running all the time, instead? I know that
the cooling part cycles on and off to keep the temp constant so I
assume the energy saver feature just controls the fan?

Depending how often it cycles. Starting a motor does increase the temp
temporarily, but it stabilizes in a minute or so. If the cycles are several
minutes, there should be no prob. Again assuming the design eng KNEW what
he was doing. Slower fan speed will save a bit of energy, but very little.

They seem to make a big deal of it (as per excerpt above) but
apparently it doesn't change the behavior of the compressor.

After reading the responses, I assume that it doesn't make such a big
difference.

Thanks.
Sue(tm)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Curly Sue" wrote in message

[...]

Turn the temp up a few degrees or turn off a light or two will save
much more...

It takes about 2 Watts of power to cool the room for every Watt of
heat....so running a 60 Watt bulb costs you 180 Watts, 60 for the bulb
and 120 to get rid of the heat..

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Curly
After reading the responses, I assume that it doesn't make such a big
difference.

Thanks.
Sue(tm)

Once the room is at a stable temp, it can make quite a difference. At
work I switch it ot energy save node at night, and find that it results
in a few degrees higher real temp. It is great for when youare not
there, it saves power[since if the room is not hot, the ac is off] but
keeps the palce decent for when you return. Say you were leaving for 2
days, turn the a/c to paoer saver and leave at 80 degrees, that way the
room will be dehumidified and reasonable for when you come back, but if
it isn't really hot out it won't run at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Curly Sue" wrote in message

I have a 1 yr old through the wall unit, around 18000 btu with a 220v
plug.

1) Does the energy saver mode make a measurable difference in energy
use? Mine goes on and off in what I think is short cycles, I assume
because the room temp increases rapidly. I keep the temp set at
around 74 deg. The room stays comfortable enough.

snip

Turn the temp up a few degrees or turn off a light or two will save
much more...

It takes about 2 Watts of power to cool the room for every Watt of
heat....so running a 60 Watt bulb costs you 180 Watts, 60 for the bulb
and 120 to get rid of the heat..

Thanks- I didn't know that. It's a good perspective.

In that regard I'm doing OK. In addition to turning off the light
bulbs (in the daytime, anyway) I use compact fluorescent bulbs and I
pull the shades on the sunny side of the house.

I put the AC on 74 because it is a multiroom unit and it's not located
well. Plus, when I'm moving around working, the humidity gets to me.
But when I'm just sitting in the living room I adjust the temperature
higher and turn on the box fan.

Last fall I went through hell putting insulation in the crawl
space/attic. I think it's paying off though; upstairs doesn't seem to
get as hot and the second floor ceiling hasn't yet gotten hotter than
83F according to my surface thermometer (which I wish I'd had last
year before I put in the insulation). I'll see what happens when it
gets really hot here.

Sue(tm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 15:27:52 GMT, yourname wrote:

Curly
After reading the responses, I assume that it doesn't make such a big
difference.

Thanks.
Sue(tm)

Once the room is at a stable temp, it can make quite a difference. At
work I switch it ot energy save node at night, and find that it results
in a few degrees higher real temp. It is great for when youare not
there, it saves power[since if the room is not hot, the ac is off] but
keeps the palce decent for when you return. Say you were leaving for 2
days, turn the a/c to paoer saver and leave at 80 degrees, that way the
room will be dehumidified and reasonable for when you come back, but if
it isn't really hot out it won't run at all.

What a great use for that feature! I was wondering what to do when
I'm away in the hot weather, particularly for the cats. Of course,
they can hide out in the basement but I worry And it will be nice
not to come back to a sauna.

Thanks for the idea.
Sue(tm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark" wrote in message

Turn the temp up a few degrees or turn off a light or two will save
much more...

It takes about 2 Watts of power to cool the room for every Watt of
heat....so running a 60 Watt bulb costs you 180 Watts, 60 for the bulb
and 120 to get rid of the heat..

Excellent advice!

I did not know about the energy comparison - seems high to me. It seems
that it should not take so much energy to move the heat out. If so, would
Heat Pumps make sense?

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 15:27:52 GMT, yourname wrote:

Curly
After reading the responses, I assume that it doesn't make such a big
difference.

Thanks.
Sue(tm)

Once the room is at a stable temp, it can make quite a difference. At
work I switch it ot energy save node at night, and find that it results
in a few degrees higher real temp. It is great for when youare not
there, it saves power[since if the room is not hot, the ac is off] but
keeps the palce decent for when you return. Say you were leaving for 2
days, turn the a/c to paoer saver and leave at 80 degrees, that way the
room will be dehumidified and reasonable for when you come back, but if
it isn't really hot out it won't run at all.

It seems to me this is an incredible waste for a tiny return. If I
were leaving for 2 days, I would turn the AC off entirely. When I
came home, I'd turn it back on, and wait until it did its job.

If it's 90 degrees out and you're cooling your place to 80, you're
wasting loads of electricity and money. If it's only 2 degree
difference, you're still wasting some.

Why not just keep the bathtub almost full of 80 degree water so that
when you want a bath, you just add a little more hot water and it's
ready? Or keep the car's engine idling all the time so the car is
ready to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

"Curly Sue" wrote in message

[...]

This is what I hve read in other brands' owners manuals.

Yes, the fan doesn't use much electricity, and I have always found it
surprising that they named it that. I want the fan off when the AC is
off because the constant noise is annoying. During the day, and even
moreso during the night, becuase often it cools off enough at night
that the AC turns off for the rest of the night, and one could have
actual silence if the fan turned off too.

I had a room ac in Brooklyn, and it didnt' turn the fan off between
cycles, so I rewired it so it did. No cutting or soldering or
anything was necessary. Because it had spade connectors, it was just
a matter of taking 3 connections apart and putting them back together
in a different order. The goal was to put the thermostat in front of
both the fan and the compressor, instead of having the fan in front of
the thermostat, so the fan wire is always hot when the AC is ON, and
the fan runs all the time. If the fan is in exact parallel with the
compressor, when one is on the other is on.

Some might worry I suppose that that model wasn't designed for the fan
to go off, but there's almost no difference and it worked just fine.

The fan in an AC is not very useful for personal comfort, when the
compressor isn't on, espcially when one is sleeping and isn't moving
very far. What works well then is a slow fan blowing right on your
body, or your face if the rest of your body is covered by a sheet or
blanket**. For much less money and much less noise, one can have a
much bigger breeze.

The AC is rarely in a place where its vent louvers will direct the
breeze at your body, and because of the convoluted path through the ac
and the vents, the fan motor makes much more noise for what breeze is
geenerated than does a plain table fan. I use a fan speed control,
meant for a wall, but installed in a platic box that I place next to
my bed, to lower the speed until I can't hear the fan but I can still
feel the breeze. There are other ways to do this too. Please post a
question if interested.

**It was hard not to use any covers at all, but I learned in my late
20's or 30's to sleep without any sheet or blanket. It's much more
comfortable in the summer time, unless the room is 70 or less. After
that I switched to very lighweight pajamas, stopped wearing the top,
and eventually, by my mid or late 30's, stopped wearing anything, with
no cover. That makes an 80 degree room feel like a 70 degree room. I
never have any 90 degree rooms at night, but I'm sure they would feel
like 80.

I stopped using a tent when I went camping, unless it was raining or
there was a need for privacy. A thin piece of ripstop nylon's not
going to stop a raccoon or a bear. (Just don't take uneaten food into
the tent.) But I think I was 42 before I learned to sleep outside, on
top of the sleeping bag or a blanket, without any clothes. A group I
belonged to had chosen a park in Southern NJ to go camping. As a
group we were able to reserve our own island, and everyone else seems
to like to sleep near each other. When everyone had chosen a place
and most people were asleep, I took a walk to a place either I had
found earlier or there was enough moonlight, about 300 feet from the
others and because it was humid finally had enough incentive to sleep
naked with no covers for the whole night. I know no one saw me or I
wouldn't have gotten a lot of teasing the next day.

2) Is all of that turning on and off bad for the unit? Should I just
keep it on regular mode running all the time, instead? I know that
the cooling part cycles on and off to keep the temp constant so I
assume the energy saver feature just controls the fan?

Depending how often it cycles. Starting a motor does increase the temp
temporarily, but it stabilizes in a minute or so. If the cycles are several
minutes, there should be no prob. Again assuming the design eng KNEW what
he was doing. Slower fan speed will save a bit of energy, but very little.

They seem to make a big deal of it (as per excerpt above) but
apparently it doesn't change the behavior of the compressor.

After reading the responses, I assume that it doesn't make such a big
difference.

Thanks.
Sue(tm)

Posted to alt.home.repair

home, I'd turn it back on, and wait until it did its job.

If it's 90 degrees out and you're cooling your place to 80, you're
wasting loads of electricity and money. If it's only 2 degree
difference, you're still wasting some.

Why not just keep the bathtub almost full of 80 degree water so that
when you want a bath, you just add a little more hot water and it's
ready? Or keep the car's engine idling all the time so the car is
ready to go.

If it were not for moisture in the air, you would be right. Or in an
uninsulated house. Ever try to get a house cool and dry from 90? Don't
happen for quite some time. Need to get the water out.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 20:08:19 GMT, yourname wrote:

home, I'd turn it back on, and wait until it did its job.

If it's 90 degrees out and you're cooling your place to 80, you're
wasting loads of electricity and money. If it's only 2 degree
difference, you're still wasting some.

Why not just keep the bathtub almost full of 80 degree water so that
when you want a bath, you just add a little more hot water and it's
ready? Or keep the car's engine idling all the time so the car is
ready to go.

If it were not for moisture in the air, you would be right. Or in an
uninsulated house. Ever try to get a house cool and dry from 90? Don't
happen for quite some time. Need to get the water out.

I have central air, and a 1400 sq. ft. townhouse (plus 700 sq.ft.
basement), (and those may be differences from the OP but you haven't
said about yours), but for me it takes about a hour, even after I go
away for 5 days. And I live in Maryland with plenty of humidity,
especially on the days I use the AC.

When I posted the first time, I already knew about humidity, and if it
took 2 or 4 hours, I would still turn the AC off when I went away for
2 days.

I would hang out during the time it was cooling off in the room with
the AC, if I couldn't take it anywhere else. But I can take it with
no problem. Once one gets used to warm weather, he's used to it.

ALSO, If you leave the windows closed while your gone, the humidity
won't increase. If you think it will increase, please explain.

Even if it did increase, that would just mean the AC is running more
during those two days, because cooling the room requires removing the
humidity. All the more reason to turn it off.

You may want to check the amount of insulation in the "floor" of your
attic. For a long time I thought I had plenty, but it seems not. And
the ventilation up there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RichK wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message

Turn the temp up a few degrees or turn off a light or two will save
much more...

It takes about 2 Watts of power to cool the room for every Watt of
heat....so running a 60 Watt bulb costs you 180 Watts, 60 for the bulb
and 120 to get rid of the heat..

Excellent advice!

I did not know about the energy comparison - seems high to me. It seems
that it should not take so much energy to move the heat out. If so, would
Heat Pumps make sense?

RichK

Sorry, I got it worng.. its more like it takes 1 Watt of AC for every
2 watts of heat removed, so the 60 Watt light bulb example needs
another 30 Watts for the AC to cool it for a total of 90 Watts, not
180 Watts.
Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

[...]

The higher the humidity and temperature the more the evaporator will
absorb heat of both latent and sensible during its runtime.
The higher the humidity the higher the latent condensation heatload
ratio on the cooling coil.
Study the graphs on the linked page below.

I would hang out during the time it was cooling off in the room with
the AC, if I couldn't take it anywhere else. But I can take it with
no problem. Once one gets used to warm weather, he's used to it.

ALSO, If you leave the windows closed while you're gone, the humidity
won't increase. [Wrong] If you think it will increase, please explain.

Humidity will increase with the windows and doors closed.
No building is air tight. There is always air infiltration into a building.
The more the wind blows the more air infiltration per hour.
It pays to reduce air infiltration to a minimum!
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...tent-heat.html

--

Air Conditioning's Affordable Path to the "Human Comfort Zone Goal"
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...tent-heat.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I get the sleeping inside in the buff... but outside? Doing that
around here would cost you plenty in blood taken from hungry mosquitoes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 4 Jul 2006 13:04:42 -0700, "Only1Miller"
wrote:

[...]

Mostly I wanted to see if I could do it, and now that I have, I don't
have any real desire to do it again. I don't know if I have ever had
such a private place, also.

OTOH, it was hot all night and very humid and I sweated some even
naked, even at night. Maybe it was so humid because it was an island
surrounded by water, except for a little foot bridge. And it was
south Jersey in the summer, maybe 20 miles from the southern edge of
Jersey at the Delaware Bay, I guess it is. If I were in a place like
that again, with privacy, I might do the same thing again, because I
really hate being hot or sweating in my sleep.

Although some times, the notion that I'm an animal with animal urges
bothers me, at other times I like to be as much like an animal as
possible. But consistency in this matter is low on my list of
priorities. Animals don't wear pajamas, so I don't know why I should.

BTW, when I sleep without a tent, it makes it very likely I'll wake up
at dawn, so I was pretty sure I'd be up and dressed before the others
were up. Despite that, I don't think I was but this was not the most
exciting group of campers. They go up and had breakfast. They didn't
go look for birdlife at dawn. So no one saw me.

around here would cost you plenty in blood taken from hungry mosquitoes.

On that, I am a very lucky guy. I used to get bit a lot by
mosquitoes. From the time I was little. I had bumps all over, and
sometimes had bumps on top of bumps. But as close as I can tell,
after I turned 21 I never was bothered by a mosquito again. I thought
it might reverse, but I'm 59 now. Either they don't bite me, or they
do and it doesn't swell up or itch. It's inconceivable IMO that I'm
not around mosquitoes up to a dozen times a year or more. I've been
with other people who are complaining about being bitten.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to aenewhouse, Malik60 wrote:
done

Should my ac go off automatically to save energy or is something else shutting
it down

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...de-124638-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

I see dead people.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/1/2019 8:14 AM, Malik60 wrote:
replying to aenewhouse, Malik60Â* wrote:
done

Should my ac go off automatically to save energy or is something else
shutting
it down

Only difference is the fan running or not. Normally if the compressor
shuts off the fan will run and circulate air. Energy mode shuts the fan
off too. The downside, you may get a higher temperature swing before it
starts again since the air is not reaching the thermostat as quickly.
Savings is pennies.

Solar Graham Harrison UK diy 115 December 12th 05 12:44 AM
Electric cars. The Natural Philosopher UK diy 104 December 4th 05 12:12 AM
Dryer Vent Inline Diverter Energy Saver - Advice wanted Mak Wilson Home Repair 20 October 19th 05 02:54 AM
Central Heating - Expert Assistance Required TheScullster UK diy 87 October 3rd 05 06:59 PM
OT-Very OT-Geen Fruitcakes in action Gunner Metalworking 146 May 11th 05 07:49 AM