How to clean outside of white aluminum gutters

Old November 17th 09, 03:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to clean outside of white aluminum gutters

on 11/16/2009 4:07 PM (ET) Ray K wrote the following:
They are discolored with vertical gray streaks on the sides, and gray
spots on the bottom where water flowing down the sides accumulate in
"puddles" along the bottom outside corner.

I've tried the following, applied with a saturated paper towel to
small test areas:
-- full-strength bleach
-- full-strength Simple Green
-- full-strength white vinegar
-- full-strength TSP substitute
-- 91% rubbing alcohol. Some improvement, but labor intensive to do
all 158 feet.
-- paint thinner

I've also tried the following:
-- spray gas log cleaner
-- spray Fantastic
-- a mix of bleach with Oxydol laundry detergent, applied with brush.
Makes some improvement.
-- a mix of 1 part Simple Green, 1 part bleach, 2 parts water, applied
with a sponge. Makes some improvement.

I haven't tried ammonia, since I don't have any in the house.

I admit that I haven't had the patience to wait 5 to 10 minutes for
any of the above to work. I was hoping to find something that I could
apply with a dust-pan brush and have the streaks magically disappear
immediately. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ray

I painted mine with semigloss white exterior latex paint. They don't get
as dirty as before and just clean up with soap and water.
It'll probably takes less time to paint than the time it takes for you
to clean them.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old November 17th 09, 03:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/16/2009 10:21 PM (ET) Lisa BB. wrote the following:
Red Green wrote in
:

Ray K wrote in news:4b01bef6$0$31271
:

[...]

I recently did some with the same problem with some house wash from the
Borg. Applied with fairly flexible brush on a handle. Let it sit maybe 5
minutes. Rebrusheded. Rinsed.

Happen to have pics of the difference:

http://tinypic.com/r/2ijj61t/4
http://tinypic.com/r/i50zrk/4

If, as you say, you don't have the patience to wait 5 to 10 minutes,
where did you get the patience to repeatedly not try it once and
continually fail?

If your time is that valuable to you, hire soemone. If they fail it's on
them.

What's the Borg, please?

Big-Orange-Retail-Giant. Originally just Home Depot, because it is their
color, but now includes Lowe's and other large home improvement
franchise stores.

Old November 17th 09, 03:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

I recently did some with the same problem with some house wash from the
Borg. Applied with fairly flexible brush on a handle. Let it sit maybe 5
minutes. Rebrusheded. Rinsed.

Happen to have pics of the difference:

http://tinypic.com/r/2ijj61t/4
http://tinypic.com/r/i50zrk/4

If, as you say, you don't have the patience to wait 5 to 10 minutes,
where did you get the patience to repeatedly not try it once and
continually fail?

If your time is that valuable to you, hire soemone. If they fail it's on
them.

The house is a ranch, so most of the time I stand on the ground and use
a saturated broom to reach the gutters and most of the siding. When I
was trying to spot-apply the various solutions above, I only had to go
up two steps on a ladder.
Old November 17th 09, 03:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/17/2009 1:15 AM (ET) __ BÝb __ wrote the following:
Try JOMAX .. available at ACE & both Borgs .. .. 1 part JOMAX + 4
parts bleach + 20 parts water ..

Spray it on .. watch the stains go from black to gray to orange to
yellow to GONE.

Rinsing is optional, but I usually do it just to keep any nasty
chemical reactions to a minimum.

This stuf is GREAT and has to be the best kept secret around.

They are discolored with vertical gray streaks on the sides, and
gray spots on the bottom where water flowing down the sides
accumulate in "puddles" along the bottom outside corner.

em.

You have to be careful with some cleaning solutions on aluminum gutters.
The gutters have a very thin coat of baked on paint.
I used a product that was meant for cleaning plastic garden furniture,
because it also cleaned almost everything else that regular cleaners
could not, and after spraying it on the gutters and wiping it off, it
started to dissolve the baked on paint and I had to stop. I then
repainted the gutters instead.

Old November 17th 09, 05:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote in
:

[...]

The stuff I had used was even labeled something like eco-green. I was
surprised how well it worked. Lucky I guess. When I initially but it on
and brushed, very little came off. Letting it sit for 5 min (without
drying!) then rebrushing was like magic. Like I said, just lucky.
Old November 17th 09, 06:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/17/2009 9:17 AM (ET) Jim Elbrecht wrote the following:
" wrote:

-snip-

Might also be mildew, which Jomax will remove easily.

If mildew, bleach would have removed it right away.

Not my mildew. I soak some white outside chairs in a strong
solution of Clorox every couple of years. just wiping it on full
strength does nothing.

Never tried Jomax- but it is now on my shopping list.

Jim

The stuff I used to use was ZEP Patio Furniture Cleaner ( found at HD).
Unfortunately, ZEP doesn't make it anymore, but I found a another brand,
Spray Nine Patio Furniture Cleaner, which seems to work as well.
http://tinyurl.com/ya4m8q5