Load capacity of 200-amp panel

Old October 22nd 09, 05:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Load capacity of 200-amp panel

This came up elsewhere and I am just curious about what the answer is.

If someone has a main service panel with a 200-amp main breaker, how many
amps of service can that panel actually service?

I am probably not wording this correctly, but I thought that I remember
something about a 200-amp main breaker actually being okay for 400 amps of
service since there are two separate circuits coming in (a 240-volt service
split into two 120-volt circuits in the panel box).

Old October 22nd 09, 05:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

JayB wrote:
This came up elsewhere and I am just curious about what the answer is.

If someone has a main service panel with a 200-amp main breaker, how
many amps of service can that panel actually service?

I am probably not wording this correctly, but I thought that I
remember something about a 200-amp main breaker actually being okay
for 400 amps of service since there are two separate circuits coming
in (a 240-volt service split into two 120-volt circuits in the panel
box).

It all depends on voltage. A 220 amp service can in theory (you are not
supposed to use more than 80%) supply 200 amps at 240 volts OR 400 amps at
120 volts or any combination of the above.

Old October 22nd 09, 06:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article s.com, "EXT" wrote:
JayB wrote:
This came up elsewhere and I am just curious about what the answer is.

If someone has a main service panel with a 200-amp main breaker, how
many amps of service can that panel actually service?

I am probably not wording this correctly, but I thought that I
remember something about a 200-amp main breaker actually being okay
for 400 amps of service since there are two separate circuits coming
in (a 240-volt service split into two 120-volt circuits in the panel
box).

It all depends on voltage. A 220 amp service can in theory (you are not
supposed to use more than 80%)

Not so. You misunderstand the 80% rule.

Old October 22nd 09, 07:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 1:19�pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article s.com, "EXT" wrote:

JayB wrote:
This came up elsewhere and I am just curious about what the answer is.

If someone has a main service panel with a 200-amp main breaker, how
many amps of service can that panel actually service?

I am probably not wording this correctly, but I thought that I
remember something about a 200-amp main breaker actually being okay
for 400 amps of service since there are two separate circuits coming
in (a 240-volt service split into two 120-volt circuits in the panel
box).

It all depends on voltage. A 220 amp service can in theory (you are not
supposed to use more than 80%)

Not so. You misunderstand the 80% rule.

supply 200 amps at 240 volts OR 400 amps at
120 volts or any combination of the above.- Hide quoted text -

plus the 200 amp dual breaker can and will carry a percentage more
indefinetely

I had a friend who had the largest outdoor light display in the area,
the power company loved him

checking the legs of his main service, it exceeded 200 amps on either
side.

he couldnt run his dishwasher, washer dryer, or even a hair dryer as
his wife found out when the lights were on..........

her hair dryer blacked out the total home.

when his kids got bigger he quit decorating......... but geez it was
beautiful
Old October 22nd 09, 07:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article s.com, "EXT" wrote:

JayB wrote:
[...]

beautiful- Hide quoted text -

Aside from the 80% rule, you can't get 400 amps out of a 200amp
service. The service consists of two hots, and a neutral. That
means with a 200 amp service you can get 200 amps at 240V flowing
between the two hots. Or you could get say 150 amps at 240V plus 50
amps at 120V. /In the latter case you have 200 amps flowing on one
hot, 150 on the other hot, and 50 on the neutral.
Old October 23rd 09, 03:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair

JayTKR wrote:

Thanks.

That's what I thought -- that 200 amps at 240 volts is basically 400 amps
available at 120 volts. Or, for example, if 50 of the 200 amps were for a
240 volt circuit, that would leave 150 amps at 240 which could be 300 amps
at 120 volts.

One other complicating factor is the 125A max branch circuit limitation.
Not an issue in normal residential application of course as few people
have single loads over 125A, but something to keep in mind when feeding
subpanels.
Old October 23rd 09, 05:24 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-10-23, Pete C. wrote:

JayTKR wrote:

That's what I thought -- that 200 amps at 240 volts is basically 400 amps
available at 120 volts.

The difference is that you can't run a single 120V load at a full 400
amps. But you could run two different 120V loads at 200 amps.

One other complicating factor is the 125A max branch circuit
limitation.

The only limitation here is in the breakers for your panel. Larger
breakers may be available; they often take up more space than normal
in the panel, so as to have multiple connections to the same busbar.

Cheers, Wayne