Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bugs in icemaker/water area of refrigerator

i have gnat like bugs flying around water/icemaker area ....
i do not see them in the freezer and have cleaned and cleaned that area....
i am in a rental house and have never seen this before....
i noticed on this site in 2006 someone had this issue too, but no helpful
solution to the problem was given....

definitely a flying bug about the size of a mosquita .....what gets rid of
them?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...or-768866-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mama needs help"
wrote in message
oups.com...

i have gnat like bugs flying around water/icemaker area ....
i do not see them in the freezer and have cleaned and cleaned that
area....
i am in a rental house and have never seen this before....
i noticed on this site in 2006 someone had this issue too, but no helpful
solution to the problem was given....

..com/maintenance/bugs-in-icemaker-water-area-of-refrigerator-768866-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups

First you should identify the insect. Flypaper usually
helps: then (a) if their source is a single nest, you
need to locate the nest and clean it our, (b) if not,
you may get advice from local public health agencies,
agricultural extension departments, etc.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/01/2013 10:44 AM, mama needs help wrote:
i have gnat like bugs flying around water/icemaker area ....
i do not see them in the freezer and have cleaned and cleaned that area....
i am in a rental house and have never seen this before....
i noticed on this site in 2006 someone had this issue too, but no helpful
solution to the problem was given....

definitely a flying bug about the size of a mosquita .....what gets rid of
them?

Since you keep food there you do /not/ want to use an insecticide.

I'd clean out the whole area with rubbing alcohol and make sure to clean
the area where they are laying their eggs. If it's hard to get at you
should be able to just pour it in...but it would be best to disassemble
and clean it all out.

--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS85K...ature=youtu.be
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 13:57:16 -0500, philo* wrote:

Since you keep food there you do /not/ want to use an insecticide.

I'd clean out the whole area with rubbing alcohol and make sure to clean
the area where they are laying their eggs. If it's hard to get at you
should be able to just pour it in...but it would be best to disassemble
and clean it all out.

...some kind of fruit fly / gnat...

Trick or Treat?
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to philo* , mama needs help wrote:
philo wrote:

Since you keep food there you do /not/ want to use an insecticide.
I'd clean out the whole area with rubbing alcohol and make sure to clean
the area where they are laying their eggs. If it's hard to get at you
should be able to just pour it in...but it would be best to disassemble
and clean it all out.
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS85K...ature=youtu.be

thank you for your response...
since the gnats are seemingly coming from the area you place a glass for
water and ice...
i continually am cleaning that exterior area....
today i placed vinegar in the trough area...the area that catches
overflow...
i have had about 10 or 12 dead gnats....
there is a vented like rubber square that you push so the water comes out
of the fridge...
i am wondering if they are behind it....!!!!!!

any suggestions would be appreciate....
thank you....

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...or-768866-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2013 11:44 AM, mama needs help wrote:
i have gnat like bugs flying around water/icemaker area ....
i do not see them in the freezer and have cleaned and cleaned that area....
i am in a rental house and have never seen this before....
i noticed on this site in 2006 someone had this issue too, but no helpful
solution to the problem was given....

definitely a flying bug about the size of a mosquita .....what gets rid of
them?

Sounds like fruit flies. Make a trap. Pour some fruit juice, wine, or
cider vinegar in a jar about a half inch or so. Cover it with platic
wrap, poke a hole with your finger. Place it near where you see the
most bug. It will take a few days to a week to get past the life cycles.
Meantime. use a dilute bleach solution to clean around the icemaker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 20:53:55 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 11/1/2013 11:44 AM, mama needs help wrote:
i have gnat like bugs flying around water/icemaker area ....
i do not see them in the freezer and have cleaned and cleaned that area....
i am in a rental house and have never seen this before....
i noticed on this site in 2006 someone had this issue too, but no helpful
solution to the problem was given....

definitely a flying bug about the size of a mosquita .....what gets rid of
them?

Sounds like fruit flies. Make a trap. Pour some fruit juice, wine, or
cider vinegar in a jar about a half inch or so. Cover it with platic
wrap, poke a hole with your finger. Place it near where you see the
most bug. It will take a few days to a week to get past the life cycles.
Meantime. use a dilute bleach solution to clean around the icemaker.

Sounds more like a troll.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-01-2013, 11:44, mama needs help wrote:
i have gnat like bugs flying around water/icemaker area ....
i do not see them in the freezer and have cleaned and cleaned that area....

definitely a flying bug about the size of a mosquita .....what gets rid of
them?

gnat-like ? or the size of a mosquito? Which is it?

--
Wes Groleau

Brigham Young agrees to confine himself to one woman,
if every member of Congress will do the same.
Weekly Republican, 1869

Senior Member

I would also throw out your garbage more often.

Fruit flies lay their eggs in soft materials (often meat, rotting vegetables or fruit) and that's what results in them showing up in your kitchen rather than any other room. They may just be congregating around the ice maker because it's a source of drinking water for them.

Also, if your kitchen drain pipe is leaking badly, solids from your kitchen sink will spill out (perhaps onto the crawl space below), and fruit flies will lay their eggs in that mass of rotting putrifaction. In that case, however, you'd see them throughout your house.

I would clean the area where you see these bugs congregating with bleach, and I would definitely hang up some fly paper. Fly paper is really sticky, so that it traps flies when they land on the paper and then can't take off again. That will break the breeding cycle so that once your existing crop of flies is stuck to the paper, you won't have a new crop.

Last edited by nestork : November 2nd 13 at 07:30 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Don Phillipson , mama needs help wrote:
e925 wrote:

"mama needs help"
wrote in message
oups.com...
.com/maintenance/bugs-in-icemaker-water-area-of-refrigerator-768866-.htm
First you should identify the insect. Flypaper usually
helps: then (a) if their source is a single nest, you
need to locate the nest and clean it our, (b) if not,
you may get advice from local public health agencies,
agricultural extension departments, etc.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

thank you i am going to try to identify the pest.....
cloroxing has not helped...
i think they are breeding behind the vented rubber like square i push to
get water...
i do not know how to clean behind that area...it releases water when i
touch it...
i have considered misting it with clorox, but am not certain that is a
good idea....

thank you for your help

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...or-768866-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to nestork , mama needs help wrote:
nestork.cba6a78 wrote:

[...]

thank you for your input...
since i toss food items immediately into garbage disposal and run it...
there is never any materials for insects to feed...
i know these are not fruit fllies nor drain flies....
i will take them to get indentified and go from there...
at the moment vinegar in the water trough area is killing them....
i do appreciate your response....

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...or-768866-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:

Since you keep food there you do /not/ want to use an insecticide.
I'd clean out the whole area with rubbing alcohol and make sure to clean
the area where they are laying their eggs. If it's hard to get at you
should be able to just pour it in...but it would be best to disassemble
and clean it all out.
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS85K...ature=youtu.be

okay......so i have learned they are fruit flies....
i had a service man take the water/ice maker apart....
we found a lot of bugs there...but no food source to speak of....
he cleaned every area of bugs he could find....
put it all back together...
and 10 minutes later several were back...
i have added more vinegar to the tray...
am thinking the vinegar is killing them and the cycle has to stop...
still no idea where the food source is....
anyhow, good luck to anyone who gets this weird problem!
and thanks to all who lended advice!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...or-768866-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to philo*, fruit fly lady wrote:
When we had the ice maker replaced, the repairman warned against using bleach
anywhere near where the water and ice come out. He recommended cleaning with
vinegar. My husband has a recycling receptacle on the counter that he empties
daily and that is the source of the fruit fly infestation. When he doesn't
recycle, the fruit flies disappear. I periodically pour vinegar in the area
where water and ice are discharged. This helps a little.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...or-768866-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to mama needs help, Ashley wrote:
Hi did you happen to find out what they are.. I'm having similar situation

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...or-768866-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ashley, SDeer wrote:
We are too Ashley or original poster, any additional suggestions/input?
Did you find out what the insects are? I do no think ours are fruit flies,
but their size is similar.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...or-768866-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to SDeer, Sandy wrote:
I am pretty sure that these insects are fungus gnats, and may be the same
thing that some people get as drain flies. They are a little smaller and
darker than fruit flies. They eat...yes, fungus. I started noticing them
episodically flying around my refrigerator ice dispenser. When I looked
closely, I realized there was some black fungus in and around the working
parts and on the cup holder base. I wiped out what I could, then sprayed
Lysol on the cup holder, and up into the unit where you cant reach, let
that sit a bit, then wiped it off where the ice slides down. That has stopped
it! Youll need to repeat this now and then.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...or-768866-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am also having the same issue with gnats actually coming down when t is pressing the button on the refrigerator to get ice. Does anyone know the problem and solution?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...or-768866-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

hahaha

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...or-768866-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ashley wrote

hahaha

Bit late to be laughing now, 7 years too late in fact.

For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...or-768866-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."

refrigerator icemaker wf3h Home Repair 9 August 27th 07 12:07 AM
Refrigerator - icemaker tubing Tom Home Ownership 10 June 21st 06 02:18 AM
Refrigerator w/Icemaker - water line installation [email protected] Home Ownership 5 November 28th 05 11:33 AM
Iceburg in refrigerator icemaker [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 25th 05 04:22 AM
Whirlpool refrigerator water dispenser stopped working - icemaker works fine Jeff Home Repair 0 May 5th 04 09:06 PM