Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing microwave cardboard shield

Inside my microwave is a small 3x5" opening which is covered by a 3 x 5"
piece of thin shinny cardboard. At one time, the four corners of the
cardboard fit snugly into four small slots, so that it barely covered the
full opening. Now those four corners have become broken and worn, allowing
the cardboard to slip 1/4" below the top opening. Will this affect the
performance or safety of the microwave? If so, can I replace the cardboard
with a piece of non-shinny cardboard?

Thanks.
digger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 7:02*pm, "diggerodell" wrote:
Inside my microwave is a small 3x5" opening which is covered by a 3 x 5"
piece of thin shinny cardboard. *At one time, the four corners of the
cardboard fit snugly into four small slots, so that it barely covered the
full opening. *Now those four corners have become broken and worn, allowing
the cardboard to slip 1/4" below the top opening. *Will this affect the
performance or safety of the microwave? *If so, can I replace the cardboard
with a piece of non-shinny cardboard?

Thanks.
digger

Is the shiny side around the light bulb that illuminates the interior
of the oven? If so, replacing it with plain cardboard will be ok, but
the light level will be much less. If it is anywhere else, the shiny
side may be electrically conductive and part of the microwave system
and should not be replaced with plain cardboard. Why not use duct
tape to hold the original in place?
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

diggerodell wrote:
Both sides are shiny. I hesitated to use duct tape because of the
possibility of fumes when the tape heated up but I'll give it a shot
and only use 4 very small pieces in the 4 corners. Thanx.

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
[...]

Use the metalic aluminum duct tape stuck to cardboard. OR order take out
dinner from a restaurant that uses aluminum containers covered by a lid made
from aluminum foil covered cardboard, clean the cardboard lid and trim to
fit the space as needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
[...]

Uh, don't use the fabric stuff. Go get a roll of real duct tape, the
sticky aluminum kind. It is actually rated for temps as high as the
microwave box will actually get.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

diggerodell wrote:
Inside my microwave is a small 3x5" opening which is covered by a 3 x 5"
piece of thin shinny cardboard. At one time, the four corners of the
cardboard fit snugly into four small slots, so that it barely covered
the full opening. Now those four corners have become broken and worn,
allowing the cardboard to slip 1/4" below the top opening. Will this
affect the performance or safety of the microwave? If so, can I replace
the cardboard with a piece of non-shinny cardboard?

Thanks.
digger

Hmmm,
How about holding cardboard with a drop of epoxy?
Posted to alt.home.repair

diggerodell wrote:

Inside my microwave is a small 3x5" opening which is covered by a 3 x 5"
piece of thin shinny cardboard. At one time, the four corners of the
cardboard fit snugly into four small slots, so that it barely covered the
full opening. Now those four corners have become broken and worn, allowing
the cardboard to slip 1/4" below the top opening. Will this affect the
performance or safety of the microwave? If so, can I replace the cardboard
with a piece of non-shinny cardboard?

I strongly suggest you post a photo because there are several openings
in a microwave cavity:

1. door

2. steam/fumes vent

3. magnatron duct: A metal duct running from the microwave-generating
magnatron to the interior of the oven. This is covered by a piece of
mica to keep the duct clean of food deposits. However the mica is
transparent to microwaves. The mica resembles cardboard and is
silvery-white when new but discolors from food as the oven is used.
Don't run the oven without this cover in place, and don't substitute
anything for mica.

4. interior lightbulb window: Usually a series of small holes (1/8"
to 1/4" diameter) to block microwaves, and there may be a metallic
reflector behind the bulb. If you replace the reflector with anything
but the original part, be sure it can withstand the heat (bulb can get
very hot) and will not short against the lightbulb metal bottom or the
wiring. Aluminum foil tape may be suitable here, but, contrary to
another post, it is not necessarily made to withstand high heat since
its adhesive may be rated for just 160 Fahrenheit. Some aluminum foil
tape has adhesive rated for about 250-300F. If aluminum foil tape
comes undone, it could slip and short.
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
diggerodell wrote:

Is the shiny side around the light bulb that illuminates the interior
of the oven? If so, replacing it with plain cardboard will be ok, but
the light level will be much less. If it is anywhere else, the shiny
side may be electrically conductive and part of the microwave system
and should not be replaced with plain cardboard. Why not use duct
tape to hold the original in place?

Uh, don't use the fabric stuff. Go get a roll of real duct tape, the
sticky aluminum kind. It is actually rated for temps as high as the
microwave box will actually get.

Aluminum foil tape withstands attic heat better than ordinary cloth-
plastic duct tape does, but alumium foil tape is not guaranteed for
high temperatures since its adhesive is often rated for only 160
Fahrenheit, sometimes for 250-300.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

aemeijers wrote:
diggerodell wrote:

Is the shiny side around the light bulb that illuminates the interior
of the oven? If so, replacing it with plain cardboard will be ok, but
the light level will be much less. If it is anywhere else, the shiny
side may be electrically conductive and part of the microwave system
and should not be replaced with plain cardboard. Why not use duct
tape to hold the original in place?

Uh, don't use the fabric stuff. Go get a roll of real duct tape, the
sticky aluminum kind. It is actually rated for temps as high as the
microwave box will actually get.

Aluminum foil tape withstands attic heat better than ordinary cloth-
plastic duct tape does, but alumium foil tape is not guaranteed for
high temperatures since its adhesive is often rated for only 160
Fahrenheit, sometimes for 250-300.

Not disputing your statements, but aside from what you mentioned around
the light bulb, how hot does your microwave get inside? I've had several
over the years, and none of them got too hot to touch inside.

Never seen a consumer microwave with a visible mica window over a
waveguide outlet. All the ones I have ever field-stripped had a plastic
top to the cooking compartment, with a spinner above. But in re-reading
OP's post, I wonder if you may be right, and they have some older
pre-spinner model. In which case I recommend they just live with it
while they save up for a replacement. New microwaves are getting
absurdly cheap compared to what they were in the old days.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

By process of elimination, the opening I've described is clearly #3 in
Oren's list of 4 possibilities. Rather than replace it, I may try to use a
very small piece of aluminized duct tape to reinforce the two corner points
so that the mica cover would fit snugly in the two bottom grooves and cover
the entire opening.

THANKS! digger

wrote:

diggerodell wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 10:21*pm, aemeijers wrote:
wrote:

aemeijers wrote:
diggerodell wrote:

[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

"Never seen a consumer microwave with a visible mica window over a
waveguide outlet."

My Sharp Carousel has one.

I've replaced it numerous times over the years, originally by spending
too much on a original replacement part, more recently by buying a
sheet of mica material from a local appliance repair shop. Now I cut
my own.

They get food splattered on them, which burns a hole in them and then
the spraks start flying.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
[...]

Normally I would agree that aluminum duct tape kicks fabric duct
tape's a$$, but wouldn't aluminum in a microwave be a Bad Idea?

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
[...]

nate- Hide quoted text -

"wouldn't aluminum in a microwave be a Bad Idea"

Interesting tidbit about my old Sharp Carousel unit...

The manual says I can thaw frozen juice by putting the cardboard
container - with the metal ring on the bottom - in the microwave after
removing the top. I've done it hundreds of times over the years with
no ill effects.

However, if I try to soften peanut butter and there is the smallest
trace of the sealing foil stuck to the rim, the sparks start flying.
Posted to alt.home.repair

diggerodell wrote:

By process of elimination, the opening I've described is clearly #3 in
Oren's list of 4 possibilities. Rather than replace it, I may try to use a
very small piece of aluminized duct tape to reinforce the two corner points
so that the mica cover would fit snugly in the two bottom grooves and cover
the entire opening.

Don't use aluminized duct tape or aluminum foil duct tape (they're
different -- the foil tape is pure aluminum + adhesive, aluminized
duct tape is aluminum over paper + adhesive). Use ordinary plastic
tape until you get a new mica wave guide cover.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 7:02*pm, "diggerodell" wrote:
Inside my microwave is a small 3x5" opening which is covered by a 3 x 5"
piece of thin shinny cardboard. *At one time, the four corners of the
cardboard fit snugly into four small slots, so that it barely covered the
full opening. *Now those four corners have become broken and worn, allowing
the cardboard to slip 1/4" below the top opening. *Will this affect the
performance or safety of the microwave? *If so, can I replace the cardboard
with a piece of non-shinny cardboard?

Thanks.
digger

Do you mean inside the cavity where you place the food to be cooked,
or just inside the overall cabinet with all the wires and components
for the control of the oven?????
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

aemeijers wrote:
diggerodell wrote:
[...]

Hmm. Learn something every day on this here interweb thing. Guess my
sample size of a couple dozen personal, relatives, and resurrected
dumpster microwaves was too small.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair