Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Triple or double-paned windows ?

Hello, we are up here in Ottawa, Canada. Any recommendations on the vinyl
windows replacement companies - Euro Tech, Solimat ( Costco) or Verdun?
Also, is it worthwhile to install triple-glazed instead of double-glazed
windows?

Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lucky wrote:
Hello, we are up here in Ottawa, Canada. Any recommendations on the
vinyl windows replacement companies - Euro Tech, Solimat ( Costco) or
Verdun?
Also, is it worthwhile to install triple-glazed instead of double-glazed
windows?

Thank you.

Hi,
How old is your house? triple may not fit well if your wall is framed
with 2x4. To be proper you need 2x6 frames for triple glazed windows.
I am in Calgary. If you compare double to triple on same quality level,
triple sames energy for sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The house is about 20 years old. In fact, some of the present wooden
windows are triple glazed. I am just wondering if it is worthwhile to
replace all windows with vinyl and triple.
But the more pressing issue is to choose the right contractor. We could not
decide which one to use and would like to receive some recommendations or
comments on the three that I listed below.

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Lucky wrote:
Hello, we are up here in Ottawa, Canada. Any recommendations on the
vinyl windows replacement companies - Euro Tech, Solimat ( Costco) or
Verdun?
Also, is it worthwhile to install triple-glazed instead of double-glazed
windows?

Thank you.

Hi,
How old is your house? triple may not fit well if your wall is framed with
2x4. To be proper you need 2x6 frames for triple glazed windows.
I am in Calgary. If you compare double to triple on same quality level,
triple sames energy for sure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Lucky wrote:
Hello, we are up here in Ottawa, Canada. Any recommendations on the
vinyl windows replacement companies - Euro Tech, Solimat ( Costco) or
Verdun?
Also, is it worthwhile to install triple-glazed instead of
double-glazed windows?

Thank you.

Hi,
How old is your house? triple may not fit well if your wall is framed
with 2x4. To be proper you need 2x6 frames for triple glazed windows.
I am in Calgary. If you compare double to triple on same quality level,
triple sames energy for sure.

Replacing wood with vinyl?

What is wrong with the current windows that they need replacing? Are
they junk? For a good wood window, 20 years is young. I'm thinking it
will be a long time before a replacement would pay for itself. Double or
triple pane from 20 years ago were not that bad. You may be able to get
most of the better insulation you are presumably seeking by giving the
existing windows a tuneup. Adjust so they close tightly, replace any
missing or damaged weatherstripping, maybe pull off inside casing and
foam the gap between jamb and rough opening. And that would be a whole
lot cheaper than new windows, even plastic ones.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

I'm in Manitoba. I installed vinyl triple panes manufactured by All
Weather Windows (Edmonton) about five years ago. When the temperature
drops below -30 C I will see some condensation along the bottoms of
the glass. My neighbor has the gas filled double panes. By the time
my windows are sweating, he has ice building up on his windows.
Triple pane windows will also reduce the amount of noise from outside
considerably. My windows were made for 2 x 6 walls. They are also
made for 2 x 4 construction, the returns are narrower. Here's a photo
of the place.

http://www.mts.net/~lmlod/cabinfront6.jpg

LdB