DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   moving a piece of electrical conduit (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/289175-moving-piece-electrical-conduit.html)

[email protected] October 11th 09 04:32 AM

moving a piece of electrical conduit

I've been attempting to install a new ceiling fan in my bathroom. the
motor in the old one started making noise, and it was about 20+ years
old...so I figured an upgrade was in order.

I live in an old loft building, where I access the fan from above my
bathroom (there is a crawlspace above the bathroom) but the rest of
the loft is open.

I'm trying to not have to pull down the sheetrock in my bathroom in
order to swap out this fan or otherwise make repairs. To be honest,
I'm not the best with drywalling a ceiling..and that is a bit involved
for just swapping out a ceiling fan right?

Anyway...their is a piece of metal conduit that was running next to
the old fan. I need to move that conduit by 2 inches in order for the
new fan to fit. The metal conduit is connected to another piece about
3 inches behind the fan...my inclination is to disconnect the conduit
from the extension, and replace it with a piece of flexible conduit.
that will allow me to go nicely around the new fan.

can I connect a piece of flex conduit to a piece of regular conduit (I
assume I will use a junction box)?
can I assume that because I have flex, I can run it diagonally and not
have to worry that the wires won't make it?

I've been making bad assumptions about this project from the
outset...so I thought those on the interweb could help me out.

thanks in advance

RicodJour October 11th 09 05:58 AM

moving a piece of electrical conduit

On Oct 10, 10:32*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

There are transition fittings that will enable you to go from conduit
(EMT) to armored cable or flexible metallic conduit. Ask for a Type
EFC or EGC combination coupling. There's no reason to use a junction
box unless you will be cutting the wires and splicing.

can I assume that because I have flex, I can run it diagonally and not
have to worry that the wires won't make it?

No, that is your principal worry. Take a piece of string or wire and
lay it on the existing layout, then move it to where you want it to
be. If it doesn't quite make it, then you will have to go with plan B
and install a junction box.

Bud-- October 11th 09 08:49 AM

moving a piece of electrical conduit

RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 10, 10:32 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

You can also make a "gofrom" using an EMT connector to a rigid pipe
couping to a flex connector (assuming "metal conduit" is EMT). I would
use a "Tomic" coupling, which is 1/2 length, but they are probably
relatively hard to find.

can I assume that because I have flex, I can run it diagonally and not
have to worry that the wires won't make it?

No, that is your principal worry. Take a piece of string or wire and
lay it on the existing layout, then move it to where you want it to
be. If it doesn't quite make it, then you will have to go with plan B
and install a junction box.

Or re-fish new wires.

--
bud--

RBM[_3_] October 11th 09 01:46 PM

" wrote in message
[...]

For two inches, I would try loosening up the straps on the pipe, carefully
bend it out of the way, then reattach it.

The Daring Dufas[_7_] October 11th 09 09:07 PM

moving a piece of electrical conduit

bud-- wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 10, 10:32 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

I love the Tomic connectors and can't understand why they're so
hard to come by these days. I did a search and came up with a
two piece connector of the type you might see holding a power
cord on the back of a clothes dryer instead of the one piece
connector that you pop on the end of EMT. When I worked for an
electrical supply company in the early 70's we had them in stock.
The last time I saw any of them was at a missile range in the
late 80's. I wonder what happened to them.

TDD

John Grabowski October 12th 09 12:10 AM

[...]

*I have no idea what a Tomic connector is. Using three search engines all I
came up with is the two screw strain relief dryer cord connector clamp.
Anyone have a picture or a link to a picture?

RBM[_3_] October 12th 09 12:34 AM

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

[...]

You kiddin me John, never heard of a Tomic connector, why it's a, a, well a
kind of connector, like, you know, metal with screws, or a, OK, OK, I give
up, I never heard of one either. Bud, draw us a picture

John Grabowski October 12th 09 01:02 AM

[...]

*I'm thinking that it is something that I know by another name.

RicodJour October 12th 09 01:09 AM

http://www.foxelectricsupply.com/con...ctNo=ARLBT5 0

RBM[_3_] October 12th 09 01:11 AM

[...]

That was my thought too. In this business, I go to an electrical supply
house outside of NY, and it's like I'm speaking a foreign language.

RBM[_3_] October 12th 09 01:15 AM

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Oct 11, 6:10 pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:

*I have no idea what a Tomic connector is. Using three search engines all
came up with is the two screw strain relief dryer cord connector clamp.
Anyone have a picture or a link to a picture?

http://www.foxelectricsupply.com/con...ctNo=ARLBT5 0

That's what John and I found with a Google search, but that's a range or
dryer cord connector, not what Bud was describing

The Daring Dufas[_7_] October 12th 09 02:18 AM

John Grabowski wrote:

[...]

The connectors are very compact EMT connectors that slip on the
end of EMT like The Shark Bite connectors for plumbing. They
were very quick to install, you would slip it on the end of the
conduit and hammer it home with your lineman's pliers. It made
it easy to space conduits close together at a junction box. No
screw sticking out.

TDD

The Daring Dufas[_7_] October 12th 09 02:21 AM

RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 11, 6:10 pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
*I have no idea what a Tomic connector is. Using three search engines all I
came up with is the two screw strain relief dryer cord connector clamp.
Anyone have a picture or a link to a picture?

http://www.foxelectricsupply.com/con...ctNo=ARLBT5 0

The "Tomic" connectors I remember did not look like that.
Perhaps the company name was Tomic and it was just one of
the connectors they made.

TDD

John Grabowski October 12th 09 01:25 PM

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
John Grabowski wrote:

[...]

*The closet thing that I can think of that resembles what you are describing
are crimp connectors, but you need a crimp tool for them. Perhaps the Tomic
connectors are no longer approved.

John Grabowski October 12th 09 03:27 PM

[...]

*LOL. When I lived on the west coast it took me a while to learn the
language of the trade out there. One thing that is universal though is the
numbers. If I give the counterman a manufacturer name and part number he
has no trouble understanding what I want. Having it in stock is another
issue.

bob haller October 12th 09 04:54 PM

moving a piece of electrical conduit

replacemnt motors are available, might be worth the effort to save
LOTS of mucking around modifying opening to fit new fan

Bud-- October 12th 09 05:49 PM

RBM wrote:
[...]

I don't know what a Tomic connector is either.

What I suggested was a Tomic coupling. It is the same as a rigid pipe
coupling (or galvanized water pipe coupling for the
not-electrically-inclined), but instead of being 1.5" long for 1/2" pipe
it is half that length.

What I suggested is that you can make any "gofrom" - like sealtite to
flex, by screwing a sealtite connector in one end of a rigid coupling
and a flex connector in the other end. The short Tomic connector just
makes a neater transition with less likelyhood of a fishtape hanging up
between the connectors. "Tomic" works at the wholesalers around here,
but may be local jargon, as someone said.

--
bud--

The Daring Dufas[_7_] October 12th 09 07:54 PM

John Grabowski wrote:

[...]

The connectors had spring loaded teeth that cut into the metal
and held it in place. The things may be out of production for
some reason or other but I did like them.

TDD

RBM[_3_] October 12th 09 10:50 PM

moving a piece of electrical conduit

"bud--" wrote in message
.. .
RBM wrote:
[...]

It sounds to me like you may be referring to what we call an Erickson
coupling.

Bud-- October 13th 09 07:34 PM

moving a piece of electrical conduit

RBM wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message
.. .
RBM wrote:
[...]

An Erickson is a 3 piece rigid coupling that is the electricians version
of a plumber's union fitting. (I think they used to be called a "swede"
around here.)

I am just talking about a garden variety threaded rigid pipe coupling
except it is 1/2 length. I wouldn't use it to join rigid pipe, but it
can be handy in other applications.

--
bud--

Bud-- October 13th 09 07:47 PM

John Grabowski wrote:

[...]

I found one in the 'parts archive'. It is marked "TOMIC". It sticks up
only about 1/4" outside the box (1/2" connector). Most of the EMT
engagement is inside the threads.

Could probably figure out how to post a picture if someone is interested.

I remember the crimp EMT fittings. IMHO they sucked.

--
bud--

The Daring Dufas[_7_] October 13th 09 08:13 PM

bud-- wrote:

John Grabowski wrote:

[...]

That's the one, perhaps a little digging and I can find out
what happened to the product.

TDD

John Grabowski October 14th 09 03:17 PM

John Grabowski wrote:

[...]

*I asked an old timer in the supply house yesterday. He knew what they are.
He said the original company probably got bought by another company and the
product line got integrated. He did not have any in stock.