Wiring Humidifier to furnace

Old October 7th 09, 09:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring Humidifier to furnace

Last year I installed an Aprilaire 600 humidifier on my 30 yr old
oil/hotair furnace. Smacked myself for not doing it 20 yrs ago- It
didn't cost much more than one of the dozen or so portable humidifiers
I futzed with over those years. It did a better job of humidifying-
and was no work at all.

Thanks to whoever asked about one on this group- or I probably never
would have woke up.

But then I saw a great deal on a new furnace on Craigs list- and just
got done installing it. I just ran it through one cycle to test for
noise & leaks. The HVAC guy comes Friday to check my work & tune it
up.

On the old furnace I wired a transformer to the fan so when it kicked
on, the solenoid kicked on the humidifier. For the life of me I
can't remember how I did that now. The schematic in the [furnace's]
installation booklet don't make sense to me.

Could someone look at these and try to put into words where the
transformer wires-- 2 black & a green-- go?
Schematic
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...ng_diagram.jpg
Humidifier hook-up
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...rwiring_sm.jpg

Thanks,
Jim
Old October 7th 09, 10:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

You're friends with a heating tech, but you're posting the
question, here? What am I missing?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old October 7th 09, 10:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 17:18:14 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

You're friends with a heating tech, but you're posting the
question, here? What am I missing?

I *hired* a guy to come Friday. [actually he is the referral from a
friend of a friend--- but I didn't confuse the original post with that
bit of useless trivia]

I'm sure he'll be able to hook it up--- but it bugs me that I can't
figure out those diagrams and get it done.

I'm bound to learn something in the process of hooking it up myself.

Jim
Old October 7th 09, 11:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

If you want the transformer to power up when the blower is on, connect it to
the white and black wires where the diagram shows the blower, unless you're
using the medium speed, then use the white and blue

Old October 8th 09, 12:00 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 18:13:36 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

-snip-
Could someone look at these and try to put into words where the
transformer wires-- 2 black & a green-- go?
Schematic
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...ng_diagram.jpg
Humidifier hook-up
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...rwiring_sm.jpg

If you want the transformer to power up when the blower is on, connect it to
the white and black wires where the diagram shows the blower, unless you're
using the medium speed, then use the white and blue

Thanks-- I didn't think that was a choice *I* made. I thought the
furnace chose the speed & I was looking for something to connect to
before it made that choice. I'll have another read through the
literature to see what it says about the two speeds.

Thanks-
Jim
Old October 8th 09, 12:20 AM posted to alt.home.repair

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...ifierwiring_sm....

If you want the transformer to power up when the blower is on, connect it to
the white and black wires where the diagram shows the blower, unless you're
using the medium speed, then use the white and blue

Thanks-- * I didn't think that was a choice *I* made. * *I thought the
furnace chose the speed & I was looking for something to connect to
before it made that choice. * *I'll have another read through the
literature to see what it says about the two speeds.

Thanks-
Jim

What determines if the furnace blower runs on high or med speed during
heating? The diagram shows that the blower can run at med or even
low if the nozzle size is small enough. I would guess that this must
be set via a dipswitch somewhere on the controls. Assuming you have
it set to always run at high speed, then as RBM said, the transformer
goes across the black and white wires going to the motor.

If the furnace can choose itself whether to run at high or med, then
you have a more difficult problem, because there is no easy way to
wire the transformer so that it will have AC power in either case.

I have an Aprilaire and mine is wired so that the transformer always
has 120V. There is a seperate trigger lead that is connected to the
furnace controls on the 24V side to then turn it on when the furnace
is running.
Old October 8th 09, 01:28 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

I've only seen an Aprilaire once, and it too was wired as you describe.

Old October 8th 09, 01:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair

I like the Can-Do attitude. Typically the humidifier water
valve is wired to come on with the fan blower. And, if the
humidistat is calling.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

news

Old October 8th 09, 07:47 AM posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You *are* using the medium speed (the blue wire). The black wire is from
the air conditioning relay. The blue wire is from the fan/limit control,
which is connected to the heating speed tap at (or near) the blower motor. I
don't see where this furnace can choose it's own speed, based on the
provided diagram. The tech who sets this furnace up will measure the
temperature rise (heating) and drop across the evaporator (cooling) and
physically plug in the black and blue wires into the speed tap accordingly.
Anyway, the huimidifier is automatically interlocked to only run on a
heating fan call, not during a cooling nor fan on (at thermostat subbase)
call.

Alternately, you could use the model #50 current sensing relay for
interlock.

HTH, Lefty

Old October 8th 09, 12:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 2:47*am, "Lefty" wrote:
[...]

On looking at this again, I agree with your analysis. It appears the
blue wire is used to power the fan for heating and the relay selects
black when in AC mode. So, he would have 120V between the blue and
white fan wires during heating.

Anyway, the huimidifier is automatically interlocked to only run on a
heating fan call, not during a cooling nor fan on (at thermostat subbase)
call.

Assuming of course that he has it wired up that way. That is how my
Aprilaire is hooked up. It has 120V all the time and has a 24V
trigger lead connected to the furnace controls.