Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HELP

The formica vanity/sink in bathroom has seperated from wall, from 1/4"
to about 1/2" space. What to do?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The vanity stands on the floor AND also seems to be attached to the
wall.

Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
The vanity stands on the floor AND also seems to be attached to the
wall.

Then it must be one of two things...

1. What you are referring to is not the vanity itself but a separate piece
standing vertically along the vanity top next to each wall...a splash guard.
Those are attached in various way but regardless of the method they rarely
meet the wall perfectly and any gap between the wall and splash guard is
caulked. It may be that the splash guard has loosened or warped a bit and
there is now insufficient caulk to hide the gap. In this case, the easiest
soultion is to add more caulk although 1/2" is pretty wide to caulk.
Alternatively, remove the splash guard and replace or reinstall...probably
not a DIY job for you.

2. If it is actually the vanity itself that has moved relative to the wall
then the screws/nails holding it in place are not doing their job. Either
that or the wall has moved or the floor has tipped down

This probably isn't a DIY job either as the cause of the loosened fastenings
needs to be determined; eg, have the studs within the wall rotted? has
something rotted within the carcase of the vanity?

About the best you could do without really tearing into things is to try
tightening the fastenings or shimming the front edge of the sides of the
cabinet. Even if one or both work, you need to find out *why* the cabinet
has leaned forward.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

On Oct 7, 11:33*pm, wrote:
The formica vanity/sink in bathroom has seperated from wall, from 1/4"
to about 1/2" space. *What to do?

First you have to figure out why it separated, the solution depends on
what the root-cause problem is.

Did someone bump the vanity top and knock it loose? Push it back into
place and reattach the fasteners.

Has the floor sagged, causing the whole vanity to tilt one way or
another? Shim the vanity to get it level again.

Has the bottom of the vanity rotted causing the vanity to tilt? Fix
the water leak problem, then repair the rot damage.

Has there been an earthquake and the house was knocked off the
foundation? Fix the foundation first, then relevel the vanity.

Sorry to sound so obtuse, but we need to know why it has pulled away
form the wall.

Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/2009 12:30 PM dadiOH spake thus:

Meta-comment: regarding your sig:

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

I have to say that is the very first time I've seen anyone post
information in the form of a Windows help file. Certainly seems like an
odd choice, especially if part of one's audience is Mac users, but
whatever ...

Just curious: I used to use RoboHelp in a previous life as a tech
writer. Is that what you used to create the .hlp? As I remember, it was
a pretty slick little app, and I enjoyed using it, something I can say
about very few pieces of software.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Good advice. This is not an example of what architects do to cover mistakes
(plant vines), but the situation may be covered up with a suitable-sized bit
of quarter-round.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Move the wall closer.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
The formica vanity/sink in bathroom has seperated from wall,
from 1/4"
to about 1/2" space. What to do?

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 10/8/2009 12:30 PM dadiOH spake thus:

Meta-comment: regarding your sig:

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

I have to say that is the very first time I've seen anyone post
information in the form of a Windows help file. Certainly seems like
an odd choice, especially if part of one's audience is Mac users, but
whatever ...

Just curious: I used to use RoboHelp in a previous life as a tech
writer. Is that what you used to create the .hlp? As I remember, it
was a pretty slick little app, and I enjoyed using it, something I
can say about very few pieces of software.

I used Shalom Help Maker
http://www.danish-shareware.dk/soft/shelpm/
Nice program.

I made it a hlp file because it was written long ago and programs for
compiled help files weren't all that available. I made it a hlp file
because MP3s were very big at the time and I figured that people reading it
would use it (for a while) as a reference; as such, it would be handier on
one's own box.

There is an html version at
http://www.shareup.com/dadioh/index.html
however, it is the very first version and has never been changed. It has
never been changed because I didn't do the html and it is not my site. When
I first posted the help file, Shareup posted in a newsgroup in which I was
active and asked to do an html version for their site.

Mac users have to fend for themselves

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for your help, there's no leak, it is just the backsplash, have
decided a border tile will hide the space.

Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 9, 10:04*am, wrote:
Thanks for your help, there's no leak, it is just the backsplash, have
decided a border tile will hide the space.

Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician.

Hiding the space may work for a while, but aren't you the least bit
curious as to why the backsplash is pulling away for the wall?

Don't you want to fix (or at least stop) the root cause of the problem
instead of just hiding the gap?