Beckett burner on oil boiler not firing

Old September 23rd 09, 04:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Beckett burner on oil boiler not firing

I have a Burnham oil boiler with a Beckett burner on it. The burner
does not fire up. It just kind of buzzes or hums a bit for about 30
seconds then shuts off. I am hoping I can get one more week out of
this unit because I am getting the whole unit replaced next week, but
I have a couple of cold days in the mean time.

Any tips on what might be the problem.
Old September 23rd 09, 11:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Jordan" wrote in message
I have a Burnham oil boiler with a Beckett burner on it. The burner
does not fire up. It just kind of buzzes or hums a bit for about 30
seconds then shuts off. I am hoping I can get one more week out of
this unit because I am getting the whole unit replaced next week, but
I have a couple of cold days in the mean time.

Any tips on what might be the problem.

What is buzzing? Is the motor turning? If it has bad bearings or bad
capacitor, the motor may hum and not turn. Sometimes if you just give it a
spin and hit the power it will run.

I hope you are getting a new unit that is Energy Star compliant. There is a
$1500 tax credit for them, as well as some states offering rebates and 0%
financing for 10 years. There are links from the Energy Star web page to
the state listings.

Old September 23rd 09, 11:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message

That is usually the electrodes not firing because the transformer is
weaker. Try bending the electrode or adjusting them closer together unless
the transformer is dead.
There is a time delay and light sensor in the burner that shuts it off in
30 seconds if there is no fire. It IS possible no fuel in going in there.
If so, trouble shoot fuel.

Before bending them, just try wiping them first. If they are sooted up,
they will not fire.

Old September 23rd 09, 01:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 5:49*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message

That is usually the electrodes not firing because the transformer is
weaker. Try bending the electrode or adjusting them closer together unless
the transformer is dead.
There is a time delay and light sensor in the burner that shuts it off in
30 seconds if there is no fire. It IS possible no fuel in going in there.
If so, trouble shoot fuel.

Before bending them, just try wiping them first. *If they are sooted up,
they will not fire.

Check if your oil is getting to the nozzle. it could be clogged, or
you might have air in the line, in that case you need to unscrew the
bleeder on the burner assembly. Also check the obvious, is oil running
in the line to the burner.
Old September 23rd 09, 04:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message
That is usually the electrodes not firing because the transformer is
weaker. Try bending the electrode or adjusting them closer together unless
the transformer is dead.
There is a time delay and light sensor in the burner that shuts it off in
30 seconds if there is no fire. It IS possible no fuel in going in there.
If so, trouble shoot fuel.

Before bending them, just try wiping them first. If they are sooted up,
they will not fire.

I once had one that wouldn't fire but would if I gave it a good smack
with the side of my fist. I opened it up to find a tiny string of
carbon looped from one electrode to the other. One good smack would
break the loop and it would start. The cause of the problem was the
last guy to service the burner... ME! I had the electrodes adjusted
wrong. Eventually I learned the right way but have forgotten it by now.
Old September 25th 09, 01:55 AM posted to alt.home.repair

I once had one that wouldn't fire but would if I gave it a good smack
with the side of my fist. *I opened it up to find a tiny string of
carbon looped from one electrode to the other. *One good smack would
break the loop and it would start. *The cause of the problem was the
last guy to service the burner... ME! *I had the electrodes adjusted
wrong. *Eventually I learned the right way but have forgotten it by now..

The fist smack did the trick. I don't mind doing this for a couple of
days because I have a whole new system coming in on Wednesday. I just
need to make it through a couple of chilly nights until then. If I
get the house up to 70 by bed time, it should stay above 60 unti the
morning when I can smack it another time.

Old September 25th 09, 03:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Jordan wrote:
I once had one that wouldn't fire but would if I gave it a good smack
with the side of my fist. I opened it up to find a tiny string of
carbon looped from one electrode to the other. One good smack would
break the loop and it would start. The cause of the problem was the
last guy to service the burner... ME! I had the electrodes adjusted
wrong. Eventually I learned the right way but have forgotten it by now.

The fist smack did the trick. I don't mind doing this for a couple of
days because I have a whole new system coming in on Wednesday. I just
need to make it through a couple of chilly nights until then. If I
get the house up to 70 by bed time, it should stay above 60 unti the
morning when I can smack it another time.

LOL! Good job Fonzie!