DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Beckett burner on oil boiler not firing (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/287855-beckett-burner-oil-boiler-not-firing.html)

Jordan[_3_] September 23rd 09 04:31 AM

Beckett burner on oil boiler not firing

I have a Burnham oil boiler with a Beckett burner on it. The burner
does not fire up. It just kind of buzzes or hums a bit for about 30
seconds then shuts off. I am hoping I can get one more week out of
this unit because I am getting the whole unit replaced next week, but
I have a couple of cold days in the mean time.

Any tips on what might be the problem.

Ed Pawlowski September 23rd 09 11:44 AM

"Jordan" wrote in message
I have a Burnham oil boiler with a Beckett burner on it. The burner
does not fire up. It just kind of buzzes or hums a bit for about 30
seconds then shuts off. I am hoping I can get one more week out of
this unit because I am getting the whole unit replaced next week, but
I have a couple of cold days in the mean time.

Any tips on what might be the problem.

What is buzzing? Is the motor turning? If it has bad bearings or bad
capacitor, the motor may hum and not turn. Sometimes if you just give it a
spin and hit the power it will run.

I hope you are getting a new unit that is Energy Star compliant. There is a
$1500 tax credit for them, as well as some states offering rebates and 0%
financing for 10 years. There are links from the Energy Star web page to
the state listings.

Ed Pawlowski September 23rd 09 11:49 AM

Beckett burner on oil boiler not firing

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message

That is usually the electrodes not firing because the transformer is
weaker. Try bending the electrode or adjusting them closer together unless
the transformer is dead.
There is a time delay and light sensor in the burner that shuts it off in
30 seconds if there is no fire. It IS possible no fuel in going in there.
If so, trouble shoot fuel.

Before bending them, just try wiping them first. If they are sooted up,
they will not fire.

Mike rock September 23rd 09 01:58 PM

On Sep 23, 5:49*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message

That is usually the electrodes not firing because the transformer is
weaker. Try bending the electrode or adjusting them closer together unless
the transformer is dead.
There is a time delay and light sensor in the burner that shuts it off in
30 seconds if there is no fire. It IS possible no fuel in going in there.
If so, trouble shoot fuel.

Before bending them, just try wiping them first. *If they are sooted up,
they will not fire.

Check if your oil is getting to the nozzle. it could be clogged, or
you might have air in the line, in that case you need to unscrew the
bleeder on the burner assembly. Also check the obvious, is oil running
in the line to the burner.

Tony[_19_] September 23rd 09 04:20 PM

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message
That is usually the electrodes not firing because the transformer is
weaker. Try bending the electrode or adjusting them closer together unless
the transformer is dead.
There is a time delay and light sensor in the burner that shuts it off in
30 seconds if there is no fire. It IS possible no fuel in going in there.
If so, trouble shoot fuel.

Before bending them, just try wiping them first. If they are sooted up,
they will not fire.

I once had one that wouldn't fire but would if I gave it a good smack
with the side of my fist. I opened it up to find a tiny string of
carbon looped from one electrode to the other. One good smack would
break the loop and it would start. The cause of the problem was the
last guy to service the burner... ME! I had the electrodes adjusted
wrong. Eventually I learned the right way but have forgotten it by now.

Jordan[_3_] September 25th 09 01:55 AM

Beckett burner on oil boiler not firing

I once had one that wouldn't fire but would if I gave it a good smack
with the side of my fist. *I opened it up to find a tiny string of
carbon looped from one electrode to the other. *One good smack would
break the loop and it would start. *The cause of the problem was the
last guy to service the burner... ME! *I had the electrodes adjusted
wrong. *Eventually I learned the right way but have forgotten it by now..

The fist smack did the trick. I don't mind doing this for a couple of
days because I have a whole new system coming in on Wednesday. I just
need to make it through a couple of chilly nights until then. If I
get the house up to 70 by bed time, it should stay above 60 unti the
morning when I can smack it another time.

Tony[_19_] September 25th 09 03:54 AM

Jordan wrote:
I once had one that wouldn't fire but would if I gave it a good smack
with the side of my fist. I opened it up to find a tiny string of
carbon looped from one electrode to the other. One good smack would
break the loop and it would start. The cause of the problem was the
last guy to service the burner... ME! I had the electrodes adjusted
wrong. Eventually I learned the right way but have forgotten it by now.

The fist smack did the trick. I don't mind doing this for a couple of
days because I have a whole new system coming in on Wednesday. I just
need to make it through a couple of chilly nights until then. If I
get the house up to 70 by bed time, it should stay above 60 unti the
morning when I can smack it another time.

LOL! Good job Fonzie!

Stormin Mormon September 25th 09 04:05 AM

Beckett burner on oil boiler not firing

We had a running gag on alt.hvac about the "auto whacker"
that would kick your furnace on a regular interval. Turtle,
Carolina Breeze HVAC, and Vickie might remember that
schtick.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon September 25th 09 04:07 AM

Beckett burner on oil boiler not firing

I can hear Henry Winkler's voice echoing through my mind.

http://onceuponawin.files.wordpress....ics-fonzie.jpg
Sigh, I can almost see it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony" wrote in message

LOL! Good job Fonzie!

Stormin Mormon September 25th 09 04:07 AM

Beckett burner on oil boiler not firing

I can hear Henry Winkler's voice echoing through my mind.

http://onceuponawin.files.wordpress....ics-fonzie.jpg
Sigh, I can almost see it.

--
Christopher A. Young