Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Homelite gas trimmer question

I have a gas trimmer. Homelite quikstart or something similar. It has been
acting cranky, so I took it apart, replaced the primer bulb, and put it back
together. I took it apart down to the needle valve, and soaked and washed
everything, and blew out the channels with air. Now that I put it back
together, I can not get it to fire or run. The primer brings fuel up, and I
can see it through the tube, and it pumps gas down into the tank. Pulled
the plug several times, one time dry, the next time wet. It's a pretty
simple carburetor. Am I missing something obvious? Maybe I need to go get
the full kit? Those pieces and gaskets only go in there one way, so I know
I don't have anything backwards. It's got me baffled, and I need it
running.

Help appreciated.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message
I have a gas trimmer. Homelite quikstart or something similar. It has
been acting cranky, so I took it apart, replaced the primer bulb, and put
it back together. I took it apart down to the needle valve, and soaked and
washed everything, and blew out the channels with air. Now that I put it
back together, I can not get it to fire or run. The primer brings fuel up,
and I can see it through the tube, and it pumps gas down into the tank.
Pulled the plug several times, one time dry, the next time wet. It's a
pretty simple carburetor. Am I missing something obvious? Maybe I need to
go get the full kit? Those pieces and gaskets only go in there one way, so
I know I don't have anything backwards. It's got me baffled, and I need it
running.

Help appreciated.

Steve

I used to have a Homelite chain saw. After one year it had problems. The
fix was fairly simple though.

Hold the saw or trimmer in your stronger arm and swing it back and forth a
few times to build momentum. About the fourth swing, just heave that SOB as
far as it will go, preferably over a cliff. Now go to the store and buy a
Stihl or Husky. I've been very happy ever since.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:

I have a gas trimmer. Homelite quikstart or something similar. It has been
acting cranky, so I took it apart, replaced the primer bulb, and put it back
together. I took it apart down to the needle valve, and soaked and washed
everything, and blew out the channels with air. Now that I put it back
together, I can not get it to fire or run. The primer brings fuel up, and I
can see it through the tube, and it pumps gas down into the tank. Pulled
the plug several times, one time dry, the next time wet. It's a pretty
simple carburetor. Am I missing something obvious? Maybe I need to go get
the full kit? Those pieces and gaskets only go in there one way, so I know
I don't have anything backwards. It's got me baffled, and I need it
running.

Help appreciated.

Steve

Your mistake was to dismantle the carb. When my small engines act up, I
pull the carb whole, plop in the ultrasonic cleaner full of simple green
solution for 10-15 min, rinse, then blow dry with compressed air. I also
always use Sta-Bil in my gas supply, and at the start of the season use
a good dose of Sea Foam in the first tank of fuel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

Hi,
That is a Good one. I just came home and it built up my appetite
laughing so hard. I use Echo trimmer. My church member is a dealer and
gave me a good deal on one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
SteveB wrote:
[...]

I never use sta-bull and never have problems with leaf blower, grass
trimmer, lawn mowers, tractors, chain saws or anything. It's a waist of
money. I find that most people do not have fuel problems; they have
problems with the dirt and crap they spill into the fuel.

Hi,
I never use fuel stabilizer either. Never have problem. I use good
gas/oil, correct ratio mixture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 11:49�pm, "SteveB" wrote:
I have a gas trimmer. �Homelite quikstart or something similar. �It has been
acting cranky, so I took it apart, replaced the primer bulb, and put it back
together. �I took it apart down to the needle valve, and soaked and washed
everything, and blew out the channels with air. �Now that I put it back
together, I can not get it to fire or run. �The primer brings fuel up, and I
can see it through the tube, and it pumps gas down into the tank. �Pulled
the plug several times, one time dry, the next time wet. �It's a pretty
simple carburetor. �Am I missing something obvious? �Maybe I need to go get
the full kit? �Those pieces and gaskets only go in there one way, so I know
I don't have anything backwards. �It's got me baffled, and I need it
running.

Help appreciated.

Steve

Look for an air leak. Many times the bolts that hold the cylinder to
the block come loose and allow air to enter. Also, the gasket between
the carb and engine. After checking for air leaks, remove plug and
pull the starter rope MANY times to remove any gas in the crankcase/
cylinder (flooded). Put in a new plug. Don't prime it or choke it and
hold throttle open all the way when starting. If it don't start after
a few pulls, then prime it with 2 pushes of the blulb (no more) and
choke it with the throttle open. It will start if there isn't another
problem. Most people have a tendency to flood those little 2 strokes.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in
:

I have a gas trimmer. Homelite quikstart or something similar. It
has been acting cranky, so I took it apart, replaced the primer bulb,
and put it back together. I took it apart down to the needle valve,
and soaked and washed everything, and blew out the channels with air.
Now that I put it back together, I can not get it to fire or run. The
primer brings fuel up, and I can see it through the tube, and it pumps
gas down into the tank. Pulled the plug several times, one time dry,
the next time wet. It's a pretty simple carburetor. Am I missing
something obvious? Maybe I need to go get the full kit? Those pieces
and gaskets only go in there one way, so I know I don't have anything
backwards. It's got me baffled, and I need it running.

Help appreciated.

Steve

Well Steve, I'm no small engine person. I'm more the sometimes I get
lucky kinda guy.

You can't even get it to fire/kick? Have you checked for spark since?
Possible something got messed up during your work...plug wire broken
internally, shorting out, kill switch stuck.

If it has good spark, have you tried taking a straw full of gas, put it
in the spark plug hole, replace plug and see if it fires?