Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Frugal day bed?

Id like to take a twin size mattress I have and make a
daybed out of it in my loft style apartment (read
small) so as to provide sitting space and spare bed for
company.

However daybed frames are outrageously priced it seems!

Anyway to make a daybed frame?

Also, does anyone out there own a daybed and how well
does it work as per above?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote:
wrote in :

Id like to take a twin size mattress I have and make a
daybed out of it in my loft style apartment (read
small) so as to provide sitting space and spare bed for
company.

However daybed frames are outrageously priced it seems!

Anyway to make a daybed frame?

Also, does anyone out there own a daybed and how well
does it work as per above?

Murphy bed. DAGS. I am in the process of using the pretty good
instructions of the create a bed people at
www.wallbed.com

Know anybody that sews? Buy some STIFF foam slabs, and make a thick
wedge-shaped cushion to sit on top of the bed the long way, to serve as
a backrest. Cover it in fabric, and make a throw for the bed itself out
of the same fabric. If you want to pretty things up, build a tall box
frame to hold some of those flat storage boxes underneath, and create a
spot to stash the bed pillows and such during the day. I saw multiple
articles detailing all this decades ago in the DIY magazines, to put in
a den so it could do double-duty as a guest room. If you don't look too
hard, it sort of looks like a couch when company is over.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

me@p wrote

However daybed frames are outrageously priced it seems!

Define outrageous. I see them from 150$ or so and up at Amazon.con.

Anyway to make a daybed frame?

Easy if you have some skills.

Also, does anyone out there own a daybed and how well
does it work as per above?

Had them several times. Made a few out of spare parts. Just add big
cushions to the back to make it look like a sofa.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

You might find a free one on Craigslist, or a free or low cost futon.
Anytime you combine seating with a bed, you get the worst qualities of
each. (Same principle applies to flying cars.)

yeah kinda what I was wondering
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 15:22:22 -0500, "HeyBub"

Id like to take a twin size mattress I have and make a
daybed out of it in my loft style apartment (read
small) so as to provide sitting space and spare bed for
company.

However daybed frames are outrageously priced it seems!

Anyway to make a daybed frame?

Also, does anyone out there own a daybed and how well
does it work as per above?

You're simply describing a large Futon (viz.)

Viz? I thought futons had thin crummy matresses, that would roll up.
Isn't she going to use a better mattress?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote
"HeyBub" wrote:
me wrone

wrote:
Id like to take a twin size mattress I have and make a
daybed out of it in my loft style apartment (read
small) so as to provide sitting space and spare bed for
company.
However daybed frames are outrageously priced it seems!

Still waiting to see her priceline. I googled some very nice ones in the
250$ range. Wood type, look more like a sofa.

Anyway to make a daybed frame?

Easy for those of us who know tools. Need to know what you know already.

Also, does anyone out there own a daybed and how well
does it work as per above?

You're simply describing a large Futon (viz.)

Nope, she means a daybed. Not same.

Viz? I thought futons had thin crummy matresses, that would roll up.
Isn't she going to use a better mattress?

Above, she has a regular twin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
Smitty Two wrote:

You might find a free one on Craigslist, or a free or low cost futon.
Anytime you combine seating with a bed, you get the worst qualities of
each. (Same principle applies to flying cars.)

yeah kinda what I was wondering

Me, if you have a twin mattress, you need a daybed frame, not a futon frame.
Totally different.

Freecyle is another option. In some areas (mine is such) the freecyle is
much better than the craigslist. It may be the reverse where you are but
worh checking both.

For stability, you want a wood frame type or a *quality* metal. The cheap
150$ metal ones will not make you happy.

Making a wood one is easy but need to know how many you are at wood working.
As this is one of the generally easier pieces of furniture, if it mystifies
you then it's best to get a premade. If you can tell me your price range, I
can google and give suggestions. Not picking on you here, just don't want
to lead you in the wrong direction.

To make one, you need 8 1x6 boards, 4 2x4 boards for the bottom frame plus
one 4x4 for the legs. Top part of frame varies with design. Last time I
made one, I used 6 2x4 pieces for the side arms and I believe it was 10 for
the back piece. The bottom frame was pine and the top was oak. It was
'Mission style' and heavy enough for my 280lb roomate to not make it shakey.
Took me a day to make it, but took the next 2 weekends to stain it right and
add a finishing topcoat (drying periods between). The bottom frame BTW, was
padded and fabricked so the use of pine didnt show.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote:

Me, if you have a twin mattress, you need a daybed frame, not a futon frame.
Totally different.

yes I have a twin mattress