Dayton electric motor capacitor, help identifying

Old September 9th 09, 03:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dayton electric motor capacitor, help identifying

I have a 2hp Dayton (Grainger) model# 6K393N that has a missing
capacitor, I pulled the covers to check them, and one side, the longer
cover was empty, just the 2 wires. I'm hoping someone has one with
that model # that would be kind enough to look to see what value the
missing cap should be. There have to be 1000's of those out there, I
got it in a deal a while back, & hadn't tried to use it till the other
day, it didn't take long to find the problem, but now to find out what
cap it takes.....
Old September 9th 09, 05:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:
I have a 2hp Dayton (Grainger) model# 6K393N that has a missing
capacitor, I pulled the covers to check them, and one side, the longer
cover was empty, just the 2 wires. I'm hoping someone has one with
that model # that would be kind enough to look to see what value the
missing cap should be. There have to be 1000's of those out there, I
got it in a deal a while back, & hadn't tried to use it till the other
day, it didn't take long to find the problem, but now to find out what
cap it takes.....

Hi,
Google is your friend. Run capacitor is 5 MFD, 370V AC rating.
Old September 9th 09, 05:55 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:
I have a 2hp Dayton (Grainger) model# 6K393N that has a missing
capacitor, I pulled the covers to check them, and one side, the longer
cover was empty, just the 2 wires. I'm hoping someone has one with
that model # that would be kind enough to look to see what value the
missing cap should be. There have to be 1000's of those out there, I
got it in a deal a while back, & hadn't tried to use it till the other
day, it didn't take long to find the problem, but now to find out what
cap it takes.....

Hi,
Both caps are missing? Google shows all kinds info about that motor.
Old September 9th 09, 11:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 11:50*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Eric in North TX wrote: I have a 2hp Dayton (Grainger) model# *6K393N that has a missing
capacitor, I pulled the covers to check them, and one side, the longer
cover was empty, just the 2 wires. I'm hoping someone has one with
that model # that would be kind enough to look to see what value the
missing cap should be. There have to be 1000's of those out there, I
got it in a deal a while back, & hadn't tried to use it till the other
day, it didn't take long to find the problem, but now to find out what
cap it takes.....

Hi,
Google is your friend. Run capacitor is 5 MFD, 370V AC rating.

I spent quite a bit of time googleing before resorting to begging for
help, can you tell me where you found it. The other cap is there, it
is a 16mfd
Old September 9th 09, 12:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
I have a 2hp Dayton (Grainger) model# 6K393N that has a missing
capacitor, I pulled the covers to check them, and one side, the longer
cover was empty, just the 2 wires. I'm hoping someone has one with
that model # that would be kind enough to look to see what value the
missing cap should be. There have to be 1000's of those out there, I
got it in a deal a while back, & hadn't tried to use it till the other
day, it didn't take long to find the problem, but now to find out what
cap it takes.....

Grainger which distributes Dayton brand motors sells parts for many of the
things in their inventory. I would try giving them a call.

Old September 9th 09, 01:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 9, 9:15*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"Eric in North TX" wrote in ...

I have a 2hp Dayton (Grainger) model# *6K393N that has a missing
capacitor, I pulled the covers to check them, and one side, the longer
cover was empty, just the 2 wires. I'm hoping someone has one with
that model # that would be kind enough to look to see what value the
missing cap should be. There have to be 1000's of those out there, I
got it in a deal a while back, & hadn't tried to use it till the other
day, it didn't take long to find the problem, but now to find out what
cap it takes.....

Grainger which distributes Dayton brand motors sells parts for many of the
things in their inventory. *I would try giving them a call.

Sounds like the 5 mfd. is the run capacitor and the 16 may be for
'Power Correction Factor'?
As Tony Hwang mentions there should be info via Google.
Old September 9th 09, 03:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

stan wrote:
[...]

I would expect the 16 mfd cap is a start capacitor.

Run capacitors are always in the circuit (start caps only while
starting) so they are more substantial - don't use a 'start' capacitor.

--
bud--
Old September 9th 09, 04:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:
[...]

Do a search for starting capacitor Dayton 6K393 motor.
And send an email to a parts supplier when you come up with one.
www.eurtonelectric.com is the one to try. They sell caps for all kinds
motor. I did a search using capacitor dayton 3K693 motor.
Old September 10th 09, 12:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair

bud-- wrote:
stan wrote:
[...]

Yes, start cap is much bigger in value as a general rule.
Old September 10th 09, 01:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/9/2009 4:15 AM John Grabowski spake thus:

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message

I have a 2hp Dayton (Grainger) model# 6K393N that has a missing
capacitor [...]

Grainger which distributes Dayton brand motors sells parts for many of the
things in their inventory. I would try giving them a call.

Well, duh! That's the first thing *I* would have done. What's up with
the Googling, emailing, etc? Just call their toll-free number. They can
find all kinds of stuff for you (especially since it's actually one of
their products).