Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Counter-tops: What's next after granite?

Are you guys seeing alternatives to granite these days as something
"in"? My eyes are starting to gloss over when I see brand new
kitchens put in with this and other stone that just seems somehow
(maybe?) ready for retirement only because it's been done and done and
done.

The reason I ask this is that already in home improvement shows they
are removing Corian to update to stone. And Corian seems to have been
big not even 15 years ago. But somehow stone tops are all starting to
look the same. At least getting there.

Are you guys seeing stainless steel? Or concrete? Something else
starting to get a foothold? I'm updating my kitchen (hopefully) soon.

Or is granite here for a much longer time than I'm pondering?

THANKS!
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Corian is on the outs partly because it looks too plasticky. It's
also too easy to scratch, despite it's alleged renewability.

Granite has to be sealed, so that has opened up a market for
engineered stone like quartz composites. They don't stain, and many
varieties look very much like natural stone. The more natural it
looks, the less likely it's going to look faddish in the future, in my
opinion.

Stainless is an expensive workhorse that shows scratches. Some
complain that it looks too sterile or industrial. Concrete seems too
prone to cracking to be ready for prime time. It also needs to be
sealed to prevent stains.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
Corian is on the outs partly because it looks too plasticky. It's
also too easy to scratch, despite it's alleged renewability.

Granite has to be sealed, so that has opened up a market for
engineered stone like quartz composites. They don't stain, and many
varieties look very much like natural stone. The more natural it
looks, the less likely it's going to look faddish in the future, in my
opinion.

Stainless is an expensive workhorse that shows scratches. Some
complain that it looks too sterile or industrial. Concrete seems too
prone to cracking to be ready for prime time. It also needs to be
sealed to prevent stains.

Sunday papers the last couple of months (since the financial implosion)
have been reporting a resurgence in sales of Formica for new
construction and remodels. Cheap compared to about anything else,
reasonably durable (at least compared to the average time between
kitchen remodels for those with excess money), and as long as you avoid
the tacky butcher block patterns, can be attractive enough for a real
working kitchen (versus a never-used and seldom-seen-by-company show-off
room.) And if you do tire of the color, but don't want to change
layouts, and the cabinets are in good shape, it is cheap to change out.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 7:22*pm, mike wrote:
Corian is on the outs partly because it looks too plasticky. *It's
also too easy to scratch, despite it's alleged renewability.

Granite has to be sealed, so that has opened up a market *for
engineered stone like quartz composites. *They don't stain, and many
varieties look very much like natural stone. *The more natural it
looks, the less likely it's going to look faddish in the future, in my
opinion.

Stainless is an expensive workhorse that shows scratches. *Some
complain that it looks too sterile or industrial. *Concrete seems too
prone to cracking to be ready for prime time. *It also needs to be
sealed to prevent stains.

I have to wonder about things like slate or even blue-stone. I know
of no such installations, but am just thinking out loud. Sorry.

Does the concrete crack from heat applied to it or from curing over
time and drying out? Or something else?
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
Are you guys seeing alternatives to granite these days as something
"in"? My eyes are starting to gloss over when I see brand new
kitchens put in with this and other stone that just seems somehow
(maybe?) ready for retirement only because it's been done and done and
done.

The reason I ask this is that already in home improvement shows they
are removing Corian to update to stone. And Corian seems to have been
big not even 15 years ago. But somehow stone tops are all starting to
look the same. At least getting there.

Are you guys seeing stainless steel? Or concrete? Something else
starting to get a foothold? I'm updating my kitchen (hopefully) soon.

Or is granite here for a much longer time than I'm pondering?

THANKS!

Formica forever for me )

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 24, 5:46*pm, "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:

snip

Are you guys seeing stainless steel? *Or concrete? *Something else
starting to get a foothold? *I'm updating my kitchen (hopefully) soon.

Or is granite here for a much longer time than I'm pondering?

Granite and silly useless little islands in the middle have just
started to work their way into house trailers. Meanwhile, some new
trends are appearing in laminates. I look for the best designers to
start using the unlimited laminate palette in attractive classical
ways, with designs that are pleasant to look at rather than the
current clash of metal and stone. Some of the current offerings in
plumbing fixtures (kitchen faucets) are outrageous examples of taking
the worst Victorian designs and making them even uglier. Checking
designs from the major manufactures (Kohler, American Standard) should
offer clues to where the design trends are heading. Lean economic
times will quickly obsolete the over the top offerings we have now and
good taste may prevail.
Me? I'm doing laminate, possibly a deep gloss color If SWMBO likes it.

Joe

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Amy Amy is offline

"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote in message

Are you guys seeing alternatives to granite these days as something
"in"? My eyes are starting to gloss over when I see brand new
kitchens put in with this and other stone that just seems somehow
(maybe?) ready for retirement only because it's been done and done and
done.

The reason I ask this is that already in home improvement shows they
are removing Corian to update to stone. And Corian seems to have been
big not even 15 years ago. But somehow stone tops are all starting to
look the same. At least getting there.

Are you guys seeing stainless steel? Or concrete? Something else
starting to get a foothold? I'm updating my kitchen (hopefully) soon.

Or is granite here for a much longer time than I'm pondering?

THANKS!

I have had Corian for about 18 months. Wanted it for 20 years. LOVE it.
Huge bonus-sink is integrated, no place for crude and not an over mount.

Amy

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

I have had Corian for about 18 months. Wanted it for 20 years. LOVE it.
Huge bonus-sink is integrated, no place for crude and not an over mount.

I have had Corian for 20 years and still love it. Mine is the light
gray granite patterned (Sierra Dusk, I think). I used to worry about the
scratches, but they blend right into the stone look.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 00:15:47 -0400, DT
wrote:

I have had Corian for about 18 months. Wanted it for 20 years. LOVE it.
Huge bonus-si nk is integrated, no place for crude and not an over mount.

I have had Corian for 20 years and still love it. Mine is the light
gray granite patterned (Sierra Dusk, I think). I used to worry about the
scratches, but they blend right into the stone look.

Anybody use ceramic tile. I installed it on my kitchen counter 20 +
years ago and it still is not scratched and looks good.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
Are you guys seeing alternatives to granite these days as something
"in"? My eyes are starting to gloss over when I see brand new
kitchens put in with this and other stone that just seems somehow
(maybe?) ready for retirement only because it's been done and done and
done.

The reason I ask this is that already in home improvement shows they
are removing Corian to update to stone. And Corian seems to have been
big not even 15 years ago. But somehow stone tops are all starting to
look the same. At least getting there.

Are you guys seeing stainless steel? Or concrete? Something else
starting to get a foothold? I'm updating my kitchen (hopefully) soon.

Or is granite here for a much longer time than I'm pondering?

THANKS!

Think talc.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
Are you guys seeing alternatives to granite these days as something
"in"? My eyes are starting to gloss over when I see brand new
kitchens put in with this and other stone that just seems somehow
(maybe?) ready for retirement only because it's been done and done and
done.

The reason I ask this is that already in home improvement shows they
are removing Corian to update to stone. And Corian seems to have been
big not even 15 years ago. But somehow stone tops are all starting to
look the same. At least getting there.

Are you guys seeing stainless steel? Or concrete? Something else
starting to get a foothold? I'm updating my kitchen (hopefully) soon.

Or is granite here for a much longer time than I'm pondering?

THANKS!

Are you doing it for yourself, or to please someone else? Put in what
YOU like.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
Are you guys seeing alternatives to granite these days as something
"in"? My eyes are starting to gloss over when I see brand new
kitchens put in with this and other stone that just seems somehow
(maybe?) ready for retirement only because it's been done and done and
done.

The reason I ask this is that already in home improvement shows they
are removing Corian to update to stone. And Corian seems to have been
big not even 15 years ago. But somehow stone tops are all starting to
look the same. At least getting there.

Are you guys seeing stainless steel? Or concrete? Something else
starting to get a foothold? I'm updating my kitchen (hopefully) soon.

Or is granite here for a much longer time than I'm pondering?

THANKS!

Hi,
After granite? Crystal glass.
For me laminate. Lasts long easy to replace.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote in message

Are you guys seeing alternatives to granite these days as something
"in"? My eyes are starting to gloss over when I see brand new
kitchens put in with this and other stone that just seems somehow
(maybe?) ready for retirement only because it's been done and done and
done.

The reason I ask this is that already in home improvement shows they
are removing Corian to update to stone. And Corian seems to have been
big not even 15 years ago. But somehow stone tops are all starting to
look the same. At least getting there.

Are you guys seeing stainless steel? Or concrete? Something else
starting to get a foothold? I'm updating my kitchen (hopefully) soon.

Or is granite here for a much longer time than I'm pondering?

THANKS!

I have seen some concrete counter tops and they were very interesting
because of the various coloured aggregates that were used.

Personally, I'm not at all sold on stainless steel as the surface seems to
be a magnet for finger prints and seems to be a real bugger to keep looking
nice.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote in message

Are you guys seeing alternatives to granite these days as something
"in"? My eyes are starting to gloss over when I see brand new
kitchens put in with this and other stone that just seems somehow
(maybe?) ready for retirement only because it's been done and done and
done.

The reason I ask this is that already in home improvement shows they
are removing Corian to update to stone. And Corian seems to have been
big not even 15 years ago. But somehow stone tops are all starting to
look the same. At least getting there.

Are you guys seeing stainless steel? Or concrete? Something else
starting to get a foothold? I'm updating my kitchen (hopefully) soon.

Or is granite here for a much longer time than I'm pondering?

THANKS!

Soapstone - thousands of chemistry labs can't be wrong. Nothing stains or
attacks it even acids, hot pans right from stove to counter, scratches sand
out. We just did our new house kitchen with it and after a month, can find
no downside...

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
Are you guys seeing alternatives to granite these days as something
"in"? My eyes are starting to gloss over when I see brand new
kitchens put in with this and other stone that just seems somehow
(maybe?) ready for retirement only because it's been done and done
and done.

The reason I ask this is that already in home improvement shows they
are removing Corian to update to stone. And Corian seems to have
been big not even 15 years ago. But somehow stone tops are all
starting to look the same. At least getting there.

Are you guys seeing stainless steel? Or concrete? Something else
starting to get a foothold? I'm updating my kitchen (hopefully)
soon. Or is granite here for a much longer time than I'm pondering?

THANKS!

Granite last forever. Why would anybody want anything that permanent?
You might want to remodel sometime.

What's to stop you?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 5:46*pm, "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:
Are you guys seeing alternatives to granite these days as something
"in"? *My eyes are starting to gloss over when I see brand new
kitchens put in with this and other stone that just seems somehow
(maybe?) ready for retirement only because it's been done and done and
done.

The reason I ask this is that already in home improvement shows they
are removing Corian to update to stone. *And Corian seems to have been
big not even 15 years ago. *But somehow stone tops are all starting to
look the same. *At least getting there.

Are you guys seeing stainless steel? *Or concrete? *Something else
starting to get a foothold? *I'm updating my kitchen (hopefully) soon.

Or is granite here for a much longer time than I'm pondering?

THANKS!

It depends on your situation/family. If looking for affordability you
cant beat laminates like Formica. If you are a young family with
several kids then I would say use Formica until they are grown up,
then update your sure-to-be-dilapidated kitchen with granite later.
Three kids will do in a kitchen in about 12 years time. If you are
about to prep a house for sale then go with granite. etc. etc. etc.
I agree that Corian is out of fashion, stainless looks too industrial,
concrete will have you looking hard for truly qulified installers.
But granite is timeless, Formica is practical and cheap to replace
when it goes in/out of fashion, sythetic stone commonly called
"quartz" is expensive if you want granite thicknesses and probably
more subject to fashion trends than granite. In my area (Chicago-
land) a nicely finished granite install with fancy edges is still the
gold standard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Worn Out Retread" wrote in
:

"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote in message
.
..

[...]

and the damn fridge magnets won't stick to them... ;-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

I second ceramic tile. We had ours for 25 years, looks as beautiful as when
new. No scratches, no spots, no marks, no chips. Lasts forever and can take
just about any punishment including, heat, acidic food, alkaline food. The
key is to use good, hard fired, ceramic tile with a neutral but artistic
design. Better than any granite top.

To rejuvenate the grout, I wire-brushed it (brass brush) about 10 years ago.

Good idea to keep a few spare tiles, just in case. If something bad should
happen, it is easy to plug in a new tile. Approx. 4"x4" tiles are optimum

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
wrote:

I have had Corian for about 18 months. Wanted it for 20 years. LOVE it.
Huge bonus-si nk is integrated, no place for crude and not an over mount.

I have had Corian for 20 years and still love it. Mine is the light
gray granite patterned (Sierra Dusk, I think). I used to worry about the
scratches, but they blend right into the stone look.

Anybody use ceramic tile. I installed it on my kitchen counter 20 +
years ago and it still is not scratched and looks good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message

Everyone I know who has or had tile countertops hated... no, loathed
them. Stuff would get into the grout lines. The grout lines impede
wiping the counter. The wet areas would mildew. Tiles can crack.
And it's not conducive to undermount sinks.

Yup. No good way to clean it and it's just plain ugly.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
[...]

Don't laugh. I had some laminate left over from a FLOORING project. I was
able to transform random planks into a countertop that bears a fair
resemblance to butcher-block! Works swell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have had Corian for about 18 months. Wanted it for 20 years.
LOVE it. Huge bonus-si nk is integrated, no place for crude and
not an over mount.

I have had Corian for 20 years and still love it. Mine is the light
gray granite patterned (Sierra Dusk, I think). I used to worry
about the scratches, but they blend right into the stone look.
Anybody use ceramic tile. I installed it on my kitchen counter 20 +
years ago and it still is not scratched and looks good.- Hide
quoted text -

Everyone I know who has or had tile countertops hated... no, loathed
them.

I've had mostly tile countertops since 1972 or so. I like them but then you
don't know me.

Stuff would get into the grout lines.

It wipes off.

The grout lines impede wiping the counter.

With a squuegee, yes; with a sponge (or cloth), no.

The wet areas would mildew.

Never had any. And that's in Honolulu and Florida, both known for humidity.

Tiles can crack.

True. So can pretty much everything else. Can't burn them though...

And it's not conducive to undermount sinks.

Conducive, no; possible, yes.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 6:31*pm, "
wrote:

Formica forever for me )- Hide quoted text -

While it may get dated quicker, formica isn't a bad option. It's
surprisingly scratch resistant, and it's cheap enough to replace when
it gets scorched, delaminated, or gets water-swelled joints.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had mostly tile countertops since 1972 or so. *I like them but then you
don't know me.

Stuff would get into the grout lines.

It wipes off.

The grout lines impede wiping the counter.

With a squuegee, yes; with a sponge (or cloth), no.

The wet areas would mildew.

Never had any. *And that's in Honolulu and Florida, both known for humidity.

Tiles can crack.

True. *So can pretty much everything else. *Can't burn them though...

And it's not conducive to undermount sinks.

Conducive, no; possible, yes.

The rough, porous grout in a depression is not nearly as stain
resistant and cleanable as an uninterrupted, non-porous, glassy-smooth
surface that can be wiped right into an undermounted sink. There's no
contest. Eventually clean does not equal quickly clean.

It's not the humidity that is the mildew maker in grout. It's the
constant wetness near a heavily-used sink. Also tile cracks much,
much easier than quartz. Not even the same ball park. It's hard to
find a tile installation of any appreciable age that doesn't have
cracks and craze lines in multiple locations.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote in message

Are you guys seeing alternatives to granite these days as something
"in"? My eyes are starting to gloss over when I see brand new
kitchens put in with this and other stone that just seems somehow
(maybe?) ready for retirement only because it's been done and done and
done.

The reason I ask this is that already in home improvement shows they
are removing Corian to update to stone. And Corian seems to have been
big not even 15 years ago. But somehow stone tops are all starting to
look the same. At least getting there.

Are you guys seeing stainless steel? Or concrete? Something else
starting to get a foothold? I'm updating my kitchen (hopefully) soon.

Or is granite here for a much longer time than I'm pondering?

THANKS!

I'm not into trends, I'm into what I like. What I like right now is Formica
with ceramic tile edging and backsplash. I've had Corian along with a
seamless Corian kitchen sink and basically I thought it was just plain
boring. Granite has recently been suspected of causing some kind of health
problems so I suspect it is in demise. Stainless steel seems like it is
good for people who like to spend the whole day in the kitchen polishing
their appliances and countertops and wish they lived in a science lab. This
might explain why some people have coffee makers that look like they were
designed by Nicola Tesla.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Personally, I'm not at all sold on stainless steel as the surface
seems to be a magnet for finger prints and seems to be a real bugger
to keep looking nice.

and the damn fridge magnets won't stick to them... ;-)

--
Jim Yanik

Now that is a good thing in my opinion.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
windcrest wrote:
[...]

About a year and a half ago we remodeled our kitchen. After much shopping
and comparison we went with a product called Silestone. It is a composite
of crushed quartz and epoxy, polished and shaped. It was quite a bit
cheaper than granite and does not need to be sealed to prevent staining. In
the time we have used it, we have NO scratches visible. It is available in
many patterns and colors, with or without integral sink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 09:08:31 -0400, "Worn Out Retread"
wrote:

Personally, I'm not at all sold on stainless steel as the surface
seems to be a magnet for finger prints and seems to be a real bugger
to keep looking nice.

and the damn fridge magnets won't stick to them... ;-)

--
Jim Yanik

Now that is a good thing in my opinion.

I have stainless steel counter tops with built-in drainboard, cerca
1940's. Works very well and lasts a long time. Of course a heavier
gauge than what is made today. My next coutertop will most likely be
wood, could care less whatever the fad.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"elgee" wrote in
:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
windcrest wrote:
[...]

We have had Silestone (an almost white pattern with little specks, very
nice on the eyes) now for some 8 years. Almost immediately there was a
small spot that chipped out (about 1 square inch). It was somewhat
clumsily repaired. Since we know where it is, it is visble to us, but
others will not see it unless we point it out. The surface was made in 2
parts, and the seam has become a little more visible than I would have
liked to. There have been no scratches on it, despite my better half
using the counter as a cutting board. We have a sink that's fitted
underneath. The only thing that's leaked is the Moen single handle
faucet, and that was replaced for $65 total.

I would buy the same setup again if it were indicated, but would spend
the extra bucks to make it in a single piece (about 1/4 of the total
surface is an inch or so greater in depth, and that would have cost
considerably more if made in 1 piece - in hindsight I should have done
that).

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 6:28*pm, "Ulysses" wrote:
"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote in ...

[...]

Or Stovetops.

What have you heard about the health effects of granite?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote in message

Are you guys seeing alternatives to granite these days as something
"in"? My eyes are starting to gloss over when I see brand new
kitchens put in with this and other stone that just seems somehow
(maybe?) ready for retirement only because it's been done and done and
done.

The reason I ask this is that already in home improvement shows they
are removing Corian to update to stone. And Corian seems to have been
big not even 15 years ago. But somehow stone tops are all starting to
look the same. At least getting there.

Are you guys seeing stainless steel? Or concrete? Something else
starting to get a foothold? I'm updating my kitchen (hopefully) soon.

Or is granite here for a much longer time than I'm pondering?

THANKS!

It's a long hard run keeping up with the Jones's

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

Granite has recently been suspected of causing some kind of health
problems so I suspect it is in demise.

What have you heard about the health effects of granite?

Probably radon, which you may or may not get from a specific piece of
granite.

Wouldn't think you would get much from the limited volume in a kitchen
but I haven't seen details.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

[...]

I don't remember exactly but I think it had to do with some kind of toxic
residue from the surface of the countertops.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ulysses" wrote:

"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote in message

What have you heard about the health effects of granite?

I don't remember exactly but I think it had to do with some kind of toxic
residue from the surface of the countertops.

Granite emits radon gas. Some foods * most notably buttered toast *
absorb this gas readily. Tests have shown that a 175 pound adult, who
eats 1200 pcs. of toast every week for 900 years, can absorb enough
radon to cause seizures. The fear is that in a seizure, it would be
possible to rip the granite top right off your base cabinets, and drop
it on your foot. Multiple broken toes could easily be the result.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ulysses" wrote in
:

"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote in message
..
. On Aug 25, 6:28 pm, "Ulysses" wrote:
"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote in

ps.co m...

[...]

granite often has residual radiation from uranium decay.

http://medheadlines.com/2008/07/26/g...n-radioactive-
minerals/

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_Granite_toxic

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Ulysses" wrote:

"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote in message

What have you heard about the health effects of granite?

I don't remember exactly but I think it had to do with some kind of

toxic
residue from the surface of the countertops.

Granite emits radon gas. Some foods * most notably buttered toast *
absorb this gas readily. Tests have shown that a 175 pound adult, who
eats 1200 pcs. of toast every week for 900 years, can absorb enough
radon to cause seizures. The fear is that in a seizure, it would be
possible to rip the granite top right off your base cabinets, and drop
it on your foot. Multiple broken toes could easily be the result.

Well then, they should have a warning sticker on the coutertops saying not
to exceed 1100 pcs. of toast per week. Or put it on a plate.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

In article , "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:

Are you guys seeing stainless steel? Or concrete? Something else
starting to get a foothold? I'm updating my kitchen (hopefully) soon.

In-home food preparation will soon be a thing of the past.
Once ObamaCare figures out how much sloppy hygene in
residential kitchens is costing they will place a complete
ban on amateur food prep. You won't need a countertop
since you'll be purchasing pre-prepared food from a
government operated (or licensed) establishment.

So forget those countertops and reallocate the space
for something more useful.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 17:25:39 GMT, Malcolm Hoar wrote:
In article , "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:

Are you guys seeing stainless steel? Or concrete? Something else
starting to get a foothold? I'm updating my kitchen (hopefully) soon.

In-home food preparation will soon be a thing of the past.
Once ObamaCare figures out how much sloppy hygene in
residential kitchens is costing they will place a complete
ban on amateur food prep. You won't need a countertop
since you'll be purchasing pre-prepared food from a
government operated (or licensed) establishment.

You really should seek professional help for your paranoia.