Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Homelite trimmer question

I have a Homelite trimmer. The little bulb is shot from age. I pulled the
carb, and cleaned, and replaced, and it runs fine if you keep pumping the
bulb. It has a small hole in it. Does one have to go buy the whole kit to
get the bulb?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
I have a Homelite trimmer. The little bulb is shot from age. I pulled the
carb, and cleaned, and replaced, and it runs fine if you keep pumping the
bulb. It has a small hole in it. Does one have to go buy the whole kit to
get the bulb?

Steve

no they are available separately. But they are not all the same size.
Take yours along with you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
I have a Homelite trimmer. The little bulb is shot from age. I pulled
the carb, and cleaned, and replaced, and it runs fine if you keep pumping
the bulb. It has a small hole in it. Does one have to go buy the whole
kit to get the bulb?

Steve

no they are available separately. But they are not all the same size. Take
yours along with you.

Would Ace or HD have those, or go to a mower shop?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 11:15*am, "SteveB" wrote:
I have a Homelite trimmer. *The little bulb is shot from age. *I pulled the
carb, and cleaned, and replaced, and it runs fine if you keep pumping the
bulb. *It has a small hole in it. *Does one have to go buy the whole kit to
get the bulb?

Steve

When I have had to pump a bulb to make something run a complete carb
clean was necessary
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
I have a Homelite trimmer. The little bulb is shot from age. I pulled
the carb, and cleaned, and replaced, and it runs fine if you keep pumping
the bulb. It has a small hole in it. Does one have to go buy the whole
kit to get the bulb?

Steve

no they are available separately. But they are not all the same size. Take
yours along with you.

Would Ace or HD have those, or go to a mower shop?

Steve

You might accidentally find one at a HW store, but i'd head to any shop
that sells chain saws or stringtrimmers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On Sep 8, 11:15 am, "SteveB" wrote:
I have a Homelite trimmer. The little bulb is shot from age. I pulled the
carb, and cleaned, and replaced, and it runs fine if you keep pumping the
bulb. It has a small hole in it. Does one have to go buy the whole kit to
get the bulb?

Steve

When I have had to pump a bulb to make something run a complete carb
clean was necessary

Try the bulb first!! Mine was $1.65, less than the cost of a cold beer!!
Plus it worked.

Bill in Plano

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
I have a Homelite trimmer. The little bulb is shot from age. I pulled
the carb, and cleaned, and replaced, and it runs fine if you keep
pumping the bulb. It has a small hole in it. Does one have to go buy
the whole kit to get the bulb?

Steve
no they are available separately. But they are not all the same size.
Take yours along with you.

Would Ace or HD have those, or go to a mower shop?

Steve

You might accidentally find one at a HW store, but i'd head to any shop
that sells chain saws or stringtrimmers.

Headed that way as we speak. I was amazed at how easy it was to
disassemble, and reassemble. Just washed stuff in gas. Fired right up, but
wouldn't run without pumping, and upon pumping, pumped gas out. It's a
cheap Homelite, but I think if you just run the right mix of gas, they will
work a long time. Then, if you can fix things, that helps, too.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill Hall" wrote in message

"ransley" wrote in message
On Sep 8, 11:15 am, "SteveB" wrote:
I have a Homelite trimmer. The little bulb is shot from age. I pulled the
carb, and cleaned, and replaced, and it runs fine if you keep pumping the
bulb. It has a small hole in it. Does one have to go buy the whole kit to
get the bulb?

Steve

When I have had to pump a bulb to make something run a complete carb
clean was necessary

Try the bulb first!! Mine was $1.65, less than the cost of a cold beer!!
Plus it worked.

Bill in Plano

Finding one is the problem right now. No, getting the wife to get ready to
get out of the house is the problem right now. I did clean the carb.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 12:15�pm, "SteveB" wrote:
I have a Homelite trimmer. �The little bulb is shot from age. �I pulled the
carb, and cleaned, and replaced, and it runs fine if you keep pumping the
bulb. �It has a small hole in it. �Does one have to go buy the whole kit to
get the bulb?

Steve

While you're at it, replace the fuel lines (it is VERY important you re
[place with proper size) and the filter in the tank. Also check to
make sure the tank vent is working (usually a flapper in the gas cap).
When replacing the fuel lines you will have to shove them thru a hole
in the tank. . Some fuel lines get brittle and crack, others get soft
and mushy. Either way, replace them. The can be bought at most mower
repair shops. Take the old ones in with you to match them up. Buy a
few inches extra.

Professional tip: To make this very easy to do, cut the fuel line at
an angle, then they will go in much easier.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

Here's another hint, in the form of a question: What do you
think the little primer button does? If you push it, and the
engine floods and gas comes out, do you think the primer is
part of the problem?

If the engine runs "as long as you keep pushing the primer
button" do you think that maybe something else is wrong?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"SteveB" wrote in message

Headed that way as we speak. I was amazed at how easy it
was to
disassemble, and reassemble. Just washed stuff in gas.
Fired right up, but
wouldn't run without pumping, and upon pumping, pumped gas
out. It's a
cheap Homelite, but I think if you just run the right mix of
gas, they will
work a long time. Then, if you can fix things, that helps,
too.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill Hall" wrote in
:

"ransley" wrote in message
.
.. On Sep 8, 11:15 am, "SteveB" wrote:
I have a Homelite trimmer. The little bulb is shot from age. I pulled
the carb, and cleaned, and replaced, and it runs fine if you keep
pumping the bulb. It has a small hole in it. Does one have to go buy
the whole kit to get the bulb?

Steve

When I have had to pump a bulb to make something run a complete carb
clean was necessary

Try the bulb first!! Mine was $1.65, less than the cost of a cold
beer!! Plus it worked.

Bill in Plano

So are you saying if the new bulb doesn't take care of it to try the next
least expensive fix - priming it with a cold beer? Does O'doul's work?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Here's another hint, in the form of a question: What do you
think the little primer button does? If you push it, and the
engine floods and gas comes out, do you think the primer is
part of the problem?

If the engine runs "as long as you keep pushing the primer
button" do you think that maybe something else is wrong?

A tiny crack or pinhole in the primer bulb will allow air to enter
instead of sucking fuel from the fuel tank.
Posted to alt.home.repair

New one to me. Wouldn't repeated pushing keep opening the
air hole?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Here's another hint, in the form of a question: What do
you
think the little primer button does? If you push it, and
the
engine floods and gas comes out, do you think the primer
is
part of the problem?

If the engine runs "as long as you keep pushing the primer
button" do you think that maybe something else is wrong?

A tiny crack or pinhole in the primer bulb will allow air to
enter
instead of sucking fuel from the fuel tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
New one to me. Wouldn't repeated pushing keep opening the
air hole?

Maybe he put his finger over the hole? Seriously I have a trimmer and a
lawn mower I picked up as trash and both had the same problem. Two new
primer bulbs and they both run great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the field report. Once in a while, I'm mistaykin.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus