Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ground wasp nests

Hi,

I have discovered a ground wasp(?) nest near my house. So I went to HD
and got a spray can, but when I read the instructions it seemed to deal
with nests in trees. The instructions say to "saturate the nest" but I
only have a small opening.

What's the best strategy?

Thanks,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I have discovered a ground wasp(?) nest near my house. So I went to HD and
got a spray can, but when I read the instructions it seemed to deal with
nests in trees. The instructions say to "saturate the nest" but I only
have a small opening.

What's the best strategy?

Thanks,

Aaron

At night, place a clear glass or plastic bowl over the opening, press it
slightly into the ground, and set a weight on top if it's plastic. As long
as the wasps can see daylight, they won't dig another exit, and within about
a week , will all starve and die.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 6:01*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have discovered a ground wasp(?) nest near my house. So I went to HD
and got a spray can, but when I read the instructions it seemed to deal
with nests in trees. The instructions say to "saturate the nest" but I
only have a small opening.

What's the best strategy?

Thanks,

Aaron

Ortho Seven poured in, but unless its an area you frequent like when
cuting grass or they bother you why kill them, all they eat are bugs
now, later they do in fall go for all food even your lunch
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have discovered a ground wasp(?) nest near my house. So I went to HD
and got a spray can, but when I read the instructions it seemed to deal
with nests in trees. The instructions say to "saturate the nest" but I
only have a small opening.

What's the best strategy?

Thanks,

Aaron

You could start spraying as close as you dare to opening to knock down
and confuse wasps or yellow jackets in the air and continue to move down
and spray into opening. Dumping in a quart or more diluted Sevin would
be frosting on the cake.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Do it at night, and have the door open so if they do come in you can
run away.

Also, have second can ready, and aim carefully.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I have discovered a ground wasp(?) nest near my house.

Yellow Jackets are a common form of "ground wasp."

The "old school" solution was to pour a cup or two of gasoline in the hole
you found. The gasoline vapors displace the oxygen and the critters die,
die, die! Aftrward, the gas evaporates. It's likely illegal today.

Kerosene will not work because is doesn't generate the vapors and because it
contaminates the soil forever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have discovered a ground wasp(?) nest near my house. So I went to HD
and got a spray can, but when I read the instructions it seemed to deal
with nests in trees. The instructions say to "saturate the nest" but I
only have a small opening.

What's the best strategy?

Thanks,

Aaron

The best solution is to leave them alone. If that won't work (they are
in a high-traffic area) use an insecticide dust. Something not *too*
fast acting (sevin is good, so is methoxychlor.) Wait until dusk and
throw a nice-sized pinch down the hole. They will get it on their feet
and contaminate the whole hive in just a day or two.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have discovered a ground wasp(?) nest near my house. So I went
to HD and got a spray can, but when I read the instructions it
seemed to deal with nests in trees. The instructions say to
"saturate the nest" but I only have a small opening.
What's the best strategy?

After spraying the nest for several nights without any visible effect,
I gave up and paid a professional, and I'm glad I did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Gilmer wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I have discovered a ground wasp(?) nest near my house.

Yellow Jackets are a common form of "ground wasp."

The "old school" solution was to pour a cup or two of gasoline in the hole
you found. The gasoline vapors displace the oxygen and the critters die,
die, die! Aftrward, the gas evaporates. It's likely illegal today.

Kerosene will not work because is doesn't generate the vapors and because it
contaminates the soil forever.

that's what our county extension agent tells people. But he adds, "of
course i'm not allowed to tell people that anymore"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 22:03:56 -0400, against all advice, something
compelled "John Gilmer" , to say:

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I have discovered a ground wasp(?) nest near my house.

Yellow Jackets are a common form of "ground wasp."

The "old school" solution was to pour a cup or two of gasoline in the hole
you found. The gasoline vapors displace the oxygen and the critters die,
die, die! Aftrward, the gas evaporates. It's likely illegal today.

We put a window screen over the hole so they couldn't get out,
and then poured a cup of chlorine bleach and a cup of household
ammonia through the screen and into the hole. This makes
chlorine gas, which will kill you as well as the critters, so one
needs be careful, but it's heavier than air so it sits down there
right nice. It won't kill the plants the way regular unleaded
will.

--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have discovered a ground wasp(?) nest near my house. So I went to HD
and got a spray can, but when I read the instructions it seemed to
deal with nests in trees. The instructions say to "saturate the nest"
but I only have a small opening.

What's the best strategy?

Go out at night and pour a sudsing ammonia and detergent solution down the
hole, so they can't fly, then stick a garden hose down there.

Turn the hose off in the morning.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have discovered a ground wasp(?) nest near my house. So I went to HD
and got a spray can, but when I read the instructions it seemed to
deal with nests in trees. The instructions say to "saturate the nest"
but I only have a small opening.

What's the best strategy?

Go out at night and pour a sudsing ammonia and detergent solution down the
hole, so they can't fly, then stick a garden hose down there.

Turn the hose off in the morning.

Jon

And then go rent a pump to empty out the basement, around my place at least.

That pink powder, poofed into the hole after dusk 2-3 days in a row, has
always worked for me. I always keep a few cans of the squirtgun spray
around too, for immediate revenge and gratification after they
mass-sting me. Seems to happen about once a year when mowing- this year
they flew up the sleeve of my shirt, and stung me from inside. Awful
hard to brush away under a shirt.

Always, within a week, something (skunk?) digs up the dead nest to
salvage the honey.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had two nests this year. One in the ground, the other in an
exterior wall. I read about diy options but decided to opt for the
pro. Pro came out and took out the ground nest easily and permanently
in one visit. Never saw another yellow jacket from that nest. The
wall nest took a few applications of dust, but eventually he got it
neutralized.

Total cost: $90. Huge bargain.