Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

Default mower won't turn over

my 42" MTD mower with a 17hp. motor won't turn over..new starter, new
battery. when i turn the key it seems like the battery doesnt have
enough 'umph' to get the motor spinning...i have the correct cold
cranking amps for the size motor.also, am i correct in assuming that
when the motor is running that the battery is getting charged. the mower
is about 4 years old..
thanks, cj
Posted to alt.home.repair

"cj" wrote in message
my 42" MTD mower with a 17hp. motor won't turn over..new starter, new
battery. when i turn the key it seems like the battery doesnt have enough
'umph' to get the motor spinning...i have the correct cold cranking amps
for the size motor.also, am i correct in assuming that when the motor is
running that the battery is getting charged. the mower is about 4 years
old..
thanks, cj

I would put the battery on a charger. While I was waiting for the battery
to charge I would clean all connections. Is there a starting solenoid?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cj" wrote in message
my 42" MTD mower with a 17hp. motor won't turn over..new starter, new
battery. when i turn the key it seems like the battery doesnt have enough
'umph' to get the motor spinning...i have the correct cold cranking amps
for the size motor.also, am i correct in assuming that when the motor is
running that the battery is getting charged. the mower is about 4 years
old..
thanks, cj

Maybe dead battery, or bad starter. Try jumping it, or pull the plug and see
if it will turn over without compression

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cj" wrote in message
my 42" MTD mower with a 17hp. motor won't turn over..new starter, new
battery.

It has a fairly low center of gravity by design. Get a neighbor or two to
help you lift one side and you can get it over. If you can park sideways on
a hill, it is much easier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in :

"cj" wrote in message
my 42" MTD mower with a 17hp. motor won't turn over..new starter, new
battery. when i turn the key it seems like the battery doesnt have
enough 'umph' to get the motor spinning...i have the correct cold
cranking amps for the size motor.also, am i correct in assuming that
when the motor is running that the battery is getting charged. the
mower is about 4 years old..
thanks, cj

Maybe dead battery, or bad starter. Try jumping it, or pull the plug
and see if it will turn over without compression

And if when you crank it with the plug out, it cranks fine and gas shoots
out of the plug hole then the carb is hosed up. Fluids don't compress
easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe dead battery, or bad starter. Try jumping it, or pull the plug
and see if it will turn over without compression

And if when you crank it with the plug out, it cranks fine and gas shoots
out of the plug hole then the carb is hosed up. Fluids don't compress
easily.

My thoughts exactly. Thats what happened to my Agway ride-on mower.
The motor would not even crank. When I pulled the plug it was all
flooded with gas. let it dry a bit, put the plug back and it fired up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 12:56:43 -0400, cj wrote:

my 42" MTD mower with a 17hp. motor won't turn over..new starter, new
battery. when i turn the key it seems like the battery doesnt have
enough 'umph' to get the motor spinning...i have the correct cold
cranking amps for the size motor.also, am i correct in assuming that
when the motor is running that the battery is getting charged. the mower
is about 4 years old..
thanks, cj

Did you try to jump it? Getting a spark? Spark plug clean and gapped
to spec? Inspect spark plug wires? Check/change oil? Bad gas?
Following the recommended maintenance schedule?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 13:12:14 -0700 (PDT), Mike rock
wrote:

Maybe dead battery, or bad starter. Try jumping it, or pull the plug
and see if it will turn over without compression

And if when you crank it with the plug out, it cranks fine and gas shoots
out of the plug hole then the carb is hosed up. Fluids don't compress
easily.

My thoughts exactly. Thats what happened to my Agway ride-on mower.
The motor would not even crank. When I pulled the plug it was all
flooded with gas. let it dry a bit, put the plug back and it fired up.

Called a "flooded cylinder" (my learning). Generally it means the carb
float has "sunk" (tiny hole) or is stuck open. With the plug out,
piston top dead center, strike a match from a distance and ignite the
fumes in the cylinder. Dry's the flood right up. Fix the float.

YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 1:23*pm, Red Green wrote:
"RBM" wrote :

"cj" wrote in message
my 42" MTD mower with a 17hp. motor won't turn over..new starter, new
battery. when i turn the key it seems like the battery doesnt have
enough 'umph' to get the motor spinning...i have the correct cold
cranking amps for the size motor.also, am i correct in assuming that
when the motor is running that the battery is getting charged. the
mower is about 4 years old..
thanks, cj

Maybe dead battery, or bad starter. Try jumping it, or pull the plug
and see if it will turn over without compression

And if when you crank it with the plug out, it cranks fine and gas shoots
out of the plug hole then the carb is hosed up. Fluids don't compress
easily.

But if it flooded from the carb often oil level is up because its full
of gas, then oil is worthless a motor can be ruined with gas diluted
oil, gasolene doesnt lubricate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Insert hands under edge and lift. You should be able to flip it. If it's
real heavy, get some help.

Really. Eliminate things as suggested, except the match and gas thing.
When checking the plug, I have always engaged the help of a relative to hold
the plug wire, but I'm running out of ones who want to help me.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 15:33:36 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

When checking the plug, I have always engaged the help of a relative to hold
the plug wire, but I'm running out of ones who want to help me.

They learned fast.

"My mower won't shut off, just **** on the spark plug ". Damn how
fast people can run!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When checking the plug, I have always engaged the help of a relative to hold
the plug wire, but I'm running out of ones who want to help me.

They learned fast.

"My mower won't shut off, just **** on the spark plug ". *Damn how
fast people can run!

I saw someone **** on an electric fence, that was funny.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote in
:

"cj" wrote in message
my 42" MTD mower with a 17hp. motor won't turn over..new starter,
new battery. when i turn the key it seems like the battery doesnt
have enough 'umph' to get the motor spinning...i have the correct
cold cranking amps for the size motor.also, am i correct in
assuming that when the motor is running that the battery is
getting charged. the mower is about 4 years old..
thanks, cj

Maybe dead battery, or bad starter. Try jumping it, or pull the
plug and see if it will turn over without compression

And if when you crank it with the plug out, it cranks fine and gas
shoots out of the plug hole then the carb is hosed up. Fluids don't
compress easily.

But if it flooded from the carb often oil level is up because its full
of gas, then oil is worthless a motor can be ruined with gas diluted
oil, gasolene doesnt lubricate.

Yea well, let's not depress the hell out of the OP. Hopefully something
simple.

Hey, I had a bad motor in an old pickup once. Good news was it then got
400 miles to the gallon...of oil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote :

"cj" wrote in message
my 42" MTD mower with a 17hp. motor won't turn over..new starter, new
battery. when i turn the key it seems like the battery doesnt have
enough 'umph' to get the motor spinning...i have the correct cold
cranking amps for the size motor.also, am i correct in assuming that
when the motor is running that the battery is getting charged. the
mower is about 4 years old..
thanks, cj

Maybe dead battery, or bad starter. Try jumping it, or pull the plug
and see if it will turn over without compression

And if when you crank it with the plug out, it cranks fine and gas shoots
out of the plug hole then the carb is hosed up. Fluids don't compress
easily.

But if it flooded from the carb often oil level is up because its full
of gas, then oil is worthless a motor can be ruined with gas diluted
oil, gasolene doesnt lubricate.- Hide quoted text -

Yep, my old Ryobi (rebadged MTD) flooded teh cylinder with enought to
hydrolock plus filled crankcase with gas.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote :

"cj" wrote in message
[...]

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

A friends gen did that, I pulled the plug, pulled the cord and I swear
gas shot out 10ft out the plug hole, the crankcase was about
completely full of gas, a 1$ inline fuel filter probably would have
avoided this. Im suprised how most equipment lack inline filters as
standard.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

Red Green wrote:
"RBM" wrote in :

"cj" wrote in message
my 42" MTD mower with a 17hp. motor won't turn over..new starter, new
battery. when i turn the key it seems like the battery doesnt have
enough 'umph' to get the motor spinning...i have the correct cold
cranking amps for the size motor.also, am i correct in assuming that
when the motor is running that the battery is getting charged. the
mower is about 4 years old..
thanks, cj

Maybe dead battery, or bad starter. Try jumping it, or pull the plug
and see if it will turn over without compression

And if when you crank it with the plug out, it cranks fine and gas shoots
out of the plug hole then the carb is hosed up. Fluids don't compress
easily.

i pulled the plug a a ton of gas shot out when i cranked it over...so
that means a bad float?
what do you mean when you say the carb is hosed up?
on the bottom of my float there is some sort of sensor two wire, one
black one white
thanks, cj
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 21:50:48 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

ransley wrote in
:

On Sep 6, 1:23Â*pm, Red Green wrote:
"RBM" wrote
:

"cj" wrote in message
[...]

A good friend could not get his Honda mower to turn over this spring
and called me over to take a look. He had never cleaned out the deck,
and a "wad" of dried chewed up grass had flaked loose from the deck,
jamming the blade. A few minutes with a dull stich had the deck
cleaned out and it has started and run just fine ever since.
Posted to alt.home.repair

cj wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
"RBM" wrote in
:

"cj" wrote in message
[...]

Probably could mean a few things. I'll leave those possibilities to those
who have solved that type of problem via nitty gritty digging. The times
I've had carb problems I tend to just get a rebuild kit and a can of carb
cleaner. Sometimes see the cause when I take it apart and sometimes not
but the rebuild and cleaning takes care of it.

Or you could get a replacement carb and be done with it. Either way,
change the oil before trying to run it again. As Ransley said, oil is
likely diluted with gas. Will quickly ruin bearings and then some if run
as is.

Don't know what those wires are for. I'm sure someone has input.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like time to get the volt ohm meter out. Check the
volts at the battery, while turning the starter. Jump it to
get the mower running, check the battery voltage with the
machine running. That kind of test. Fairly basic.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"cj" wrote in message
my 42" MTD mower with a 17hp. motor won't turn over..new
starter, new
battery. when i turn the key it seems like the battery
doesnt have
enough 'umph' to get the motor spinning...i have the correct
cold
cranking amps for the size motor.also, am i correct in
assuming that
when the motor is running that the battery is getting
charged. the mower
is about 4 years old..
thanks, cj

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote :

"cj" wrote in message
[...]

standard.- Hide quoted text -

I diagnosed the problem when it wouldn't turn over (saw gas on
dipstick). Pulled plut and made sure the plug wire could not spark.
Changed oil and then hit the starter - let it roll for many seconds to
clear it out. Problem was the usual 'stuck float valve'.

??? Why would an inline filter prevent it? It is just a porous filter
andgas should flow through it, perhaps not as fast as an unobstructd
line but...

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 07:18:25 -0700 (PDT), harry k
wrote:

"RBM" wrote :

"cj" wrote in message
[...]

It would keep the crap out of the float valve - most common cause of
"stuck" float valve.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Sep 7, 9:25*pm, Red Green wrote:

Don't know what those wires are for. I'm sure someone has input.

-

Some mowers have a fuel shutoff solenoid mounted on the carb. Turn off
the key and it shuts off the fuel. Supposedly it eliminates chugging/
running after you turn the motor off - although I don't know exactly
how it does it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"RBM" wrote :

"cj" wrote in message
[...]

"stuck" float valve.- Hide quoted text -

But that is what happened to mine. Stuck float valve and it did have
an in'line.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski;3014178 Wrote:
"cj" wrote in message
my 42" MTD mower with a 17hp. motor won't turn over..new starter, new

battery.

It has a fairly low center of gravity by design. Get a neighbor or two
help you lift one side and you can get it over. If you can park
sideways on
a hill, it is much easier.

Be sure to tie it up!!! Last summer a young friend did something like
this - had it jacked up and was working on it. But he did not tie it up.
Thing fell on him. His dad found his dead body with a broken neck! He
was only 19.

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com