Wire nut w/5 #12

Old August 26th 09, 03:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair
sid

Default Wire nut w/5 #12

Can someone tell me the best way to wire-nut 5 #12 wires in a 4x4"
box. I know that a red nut will accept 5 #12 solid wires, but is
there a better way ? I have seen posts that talk about con-blocks and
others that talk about compression nuts. I can't find either at
HomeDepot or any other big box.

Any help is appreciated.

Old August 26th 09, 05:28 AM posted to alt.home.repair

sid wrote:
Can someone tell me the best way to wire-nut 5 #12 wires in a 4x4"
box. I know that a red nut will accept 5 #12 solid wires, but is
there a better way ? I have seen posts that talk about con-blocks and
others that talk about compression nuts. I can't find either at
HomeDepot or any other big box.

Any help is appreciated.

You could also use a small copper split-bolt and (assuming it's not a
grounding wire) wrap it with tape.

If I was using a wire-nut, I'd go one size bigger than red (don't
remember what color that is, blue?)

Bob

Old August 26th 09, 08:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 9:50*pm, sid wrote:
Can someone tell me the best way to wire-nut 5 #12 wires in a 4x4"
box. *I know that a red nut will accept 5 #12 solid wires, but is
there a better way ? *I have seen posts that talk about con-blocks and
others that talk about compression nuts. *I can't find either at
HomeDepot or any other big box.

Any help is appreciated.

split bolt and tape.
Old August 26th 09, 12:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message
Can someone tell me the best way to wire-nut 5 #12 wires in a 4x4"
box. I know that a red nut will accept 5 #12 solid wires, but is
there a better way ? I have seen posts that talk about con-blocks and
others that talk about compression nuts. I can't find either at
HomeDepot or any other big box.

Any help is appreciated.

Buchanan WT53 B, I love this nut for bunches of wires:
http://www.aikencolon.com/Ideal-Buch...-100_p_41.html

Old August 26th 09, 02:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

sid wrote:
Can someone tell me the best way to wire-nut 5 #12 wires in a 4x4"
box. I know that a red nut will accept 5 #12 solid wires, but is
there a better way ? I have seen posts that talk about con-blocks and
others that talk about compression nuts. I can't find either at
HomeDepot or any other big box.

Any help is appreciated.

Just go one size bigger (gray) and get a quality brand. I don't know if
HomeCheepo sells a quality brand so you may need to stop at a real
supply house.

http://www.idealindustries.com/produ.../wingtwist.jsp

WT53 is a good choice.
Old August 26th 09, 03:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

sid wrote:
Can someone tell me the best way to wire-nut 5 #12 wires in a 4x4"
box. I know that a red nut will accept 5 #12 solid wires, but is
there a better way ? I have seen posts that talk about con-blocks and
others that talk about compression nuts. I can't find either at
HomeDepot or any other big box.

Any help is appreciated.

Strip off 1" or better, get a real good twist with a GOOD pair of flat
nosed pliers, then solder, then cut back to 1/2" to 3/4" of soldered
wire showing and tape well.

Old August 26th 09, 06:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/26/2009 7:49 AM Steve Barker spake thus:

sid wrote:

Can someone tell me the best way to wire-nut 5 #12 wires in a 4x4"
box. I know that a red nut will accept 5 #12 solid wires, but is
there a better way ? I have seen posts that talk about con-blocks and
others that talk about compression nuts. I can't find either at
HomeDepot or any other big box.

Strip off 1" or better, get a real good twist with a GOOD pair of flat
nosed pliers, then solder, then cut back to 1/2" to 3/4" of soldered
wire showing and tape well.

Surprised to see someone make that suggestion.

Yes, it would definitely be a superior connection, both electrically and
mechanically. But aside from the extra work involved, it has the problem
of not being easily un-doable in case some future electrician needs to
fix or add something.

Kind of like the old Western Union splices ...

Old August 26th 09, 07:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-08-26, Steve Barker wrote:

Strip off 1" or better, get a real good twist with a GOOD pair of
flat nosed pliers, then solder, then cut back to 1/2" to 3/4" of
soldered wire showing and tape well.

It would appear that cutting back the wires after soldering would
violate NEC 110.14(B): "Soldered splices shall first be spliced or
joined so as to be mechanically and electrically secure without solder
and then be soldered."

Also, NEC 250.148(E) prohibits relying on solder for the grounding
conductor (EGC): "Connections depending solely on solder shall not be
used."

Cheers, Wayne
Old August 26th 09, 07:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair

sid wrote:

Can someone tell me the best way to wire-nut 5 #12 wires in a 4x4"
box. I know that a red nut will accept 5 #12 solid wires, but is
there a better way ? I have seen posts that talk about con-blocks and
others that talk about compression nuts. I can't find either at
HomeDepot or any other big box.

Strip off 1" or better, get a real good twist with a GOOD pair of flat
nosed pliers, then solder, then cut back to 1/2" to 3/4" of soldered
wire showing and tape well.

Surprised to see someone make that suggestion.

Yes, it would definitely be a superior connection, both electrically and
mechanically. But aside from the extra work involved, it has the problem
of not being easily un-doable in case some future electrician needs to
fix or add something.

Ever try to open a crimped connector and add a wire?

Kind of like the old Western Union splices ...

--
Mr.E