Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Underground electrical conduit

I was blessed with about 800' of 2.5" underground pvc, which I intend to use
to run power to my shop area, about 150' from the house. My ground is all
blowsand mixed with lava rocks from fist sized to Volkswagen sized. I do
have a trencher, but after using it in other areas of my property, have
little faith or expectations for it other than it breaking another tooth.
Is it that important to have this buried that deep, or that it have a grade?
I will run sweeps up so that it is above ground by at least 3' at the
vertical. I intend to put two in the same ditch in case I ever want to run
other lines. As I understand it, Red Hot Blue Glue is good for this pipe.

Any caveats or suggestions?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message
I was blessed with about 800' of 2.5" underground pvc, which I intend to
use to run power to my shop area, about 150' from the house. My ground is
all blowsand mixed with lava rocks from fist sized to Volkswagen sized. I
do have a trencher, but after using it in other areas of my property, have
little faith or expectations for it other than it breaking another tooth.
Is it that important to have this buried that deep, or that it have a
grade? I will run sweeps up so that it is above ground by at least 3' at
the vertical. I intend to put two in the same ditch in case I ever want to
run other lines. As I understand it, Red Hot Blue Glue is good for this
pipe.

Any caveats or suggestions?

18" deep is all that you need although deeper is better in case of future
excavation. I suggest that you put a marker tape just below the soil
surface in case you or someone else digs where the pipe is in the future.

Just regular PVC glue should suffice although it is not a bad idea to use a
primer first. Be sure to put glue on each of the ends that are getting
pushed together.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 4:30*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
I was blessed with about 800' of 2.5" underground pvc, which I intend to use
to run power to my shop area, about 150' from the house. *My ground is all
blowsand mixed with lava rocks from fist sized to Volkswagen sized. *I do
have a trencher, but after using it in other areas of my property, have
little faith or expectations for it other than it breaking another tooth.
Is it that important to have this buried that deep, or that it have a grade?
I will run sweeps up so that it is above ground by at least 3' at the
vertical. *I intend to put two in the same ditch in case I ever want to run
other lines. * As I understand it, Red Hot Blue Glue is good for this pipe.

Any caveats or suggestions?

Steve

I had one like that run a few years ago, we got by with a big ride on
trencher with rock chain except for a bout 50' where the backhoe was
required. The depth depends on the activities anticipated. I farm, so
3' would be a bare minimum, or risk snagging it with a chisel plow or
something. we went more like 41/2- 5', I'd have to use the auger or
backhoe to hit that. So long as you keep it well marked, it could be
shallow unless local codes say otherwise.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 24, 4:30*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
I was blessed with about 800' of 2.5" underground pvc, which I intend to use
to run power to my shop area, about 150' from the house. *My ground is all
blowsand mixed with lava rocks from fist sized to Volkswagen sized. *I do
have a trencher, but after using it in other areas of my property, have
little faith or expectations for it other than it breaking another tooth.
Is it that important to have this buried that deep, or that it have a grade?
I will run sweeps up so that it is above ground by at least 3' at the
vertical. *I intend to put two in the same ditch in case I ever want to run
other lines. * As I understand it, Red Hot Blue Glue is good for this pipe.

Any caveats or suggestions?

Steve

Ask your power company what they recommend. Locally, AmerenIP uses 3"
conduit at 42" for underground services, but your own building codes
for an outbuilding should be the proper guide.

Joe