Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint for plastic Shutters

My shutters seem to need a paint job.... they held up fairly well
for about 10 years but are rather faded. They are the plastic
type shutters sold at the local big box stores.

Any suggestions on what type of paint to use.... should they
be primed first ?? Top coated ??? I'm planning on using a
brush so self leveling paint would help.

Thanks in advance !!!

Peter
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
My shutters seem to need a paint job.... they held up fairly well
for about 10 years but are rather faded. They are the plastic
type shutters sold at the local big box stores.

Any suggestions on what type of paint to use.... should they
be primed first ?? Top coated ??? I'm planning on using a
brush so self leveling paint would help.

Thanks in advance !!!

Peter

Check Lowe's and HD for a spray paint (spray bombs, believe it or not) by
Krylon, I believe. It is advertised to combine with the plastic. I cannnot
vouche for it so I hope that there better responses. Mine is "last resort".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 8:56*pm, wrote:
My *shutters seem to need a paint job.... *they held up fairly well
for about 10 years but are rather faded. * They are the plastic
type shutters sold at the local big box stores.

Any suggestions on what type of paint to use.... *should they
be primed first ?? *Top coated ??? * I'm planning on using a
brush so self leveling paint would help.

Thanks in advance !!!

Peter

Talk to a real paint store to get advise and products, but XIM is a
well known quality primer designed for plastics, actualy I used it
today. XIM has beed around for at least 25.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"C & E" wrote:

wrote in message
My shutters seem to need a paint job.... they held up fairly well
for about 10 years but are rather faded. They are the plastic
type shutters sold at the local big box stores.

Any suggestions on what type of paint to use.... should they
be primed first ?? Top coated ??? I'm planning on using a
brush so self leveling paint would help.

Thanks in advance !!!

Peter

Check Lowe's and HD for a spray paint (spray bombs, believe it or not) by
Krylon, I believe. It is advertised to combine with the plastic. I cannnot
vouche for it so I hope that there better responses. Mine is "last resort".

I love Krylon. Their paint for plastic goes by the name "Fusion." But
the trouble with plastic outdoors is that sunlight destroys it. If the
OP can gouge the shutters with a fingernail, it's too far gone to bother
with and should be replaced.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
My shutters seem to need a paint job.... they held up fairly well
for about 10 years but are rather faded. They are the plastic
type shutters sold at the local big box stores.

Any suggestions on what type of paint to use.... should they
be primed first ?? Top coated ??? I'm planning on using a
brush so self leveling paint would help.

Thanks in advance !!!

Peter

I've had good results with regular latex house paint. One advantage is they
can mix any color you want. Talk to a good paint store for brand
particulars.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks all for the good suggestions.... I like Kryolan, but it
won't hold up under exposure.... Fusion is good, I've used
it for plastic... but it won't hold up with continuous exposure
to the elements.

XIM sounds like a good primer and the idea of checking with a good
paint store for house paint sounds like it will work. The REAL
paint stores usually know what they're talking about.

If I gotta paint those suckers I want it to last for a couple of
years. Some of them are up on the second story, so the ladder has to
come out.

Thanks again for all your suggestions... they are all worthwhile !!

Peter
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 8:54�am, Phisherman wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 21:56:11 -0400, wrote:
My �shutters seem to need a paint job.... �they held up fairly well
for about 10 years but are rather faded. � They are the plastic
type shutters sold at the local big box stores.

Any suggestions on what type of paint to use.... �should they
be primed first ?? �Top coated ??? � I'm planning on using a
brush so self leveling paint would help.

Thanks in advance !!!

Peter

Most of the work will be preparation. �Sanding and more sanding. �

Fading is not a big deal. �Personally, I'd wait until the paint was
compromised. �If fading bothers you, pick another color that won't fad
so quickly. �Red is probably the worst.

might be easier to replace the shutters with a 25 year guarantee ones,
paint would last nearly as long as plastic original surface

expansion and contraction causes much grief
Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Jul 31, 8:56*pm, wrote:
My *shutters seem to need a paint job.... *they held up fairly well
for about 10 years but are rather faded. * They are the plastic
type shutters sold at the local big box stores.

Any suggestions on what type of paint to use.... *should they
be primed first ?? *Top coated ??? * I'm planning on using a
brush so self leveling paint would help.

Thanks in advance !!!

Peter

Plastic shutters from the big box stores come as 'paintable' and 'non-
paintable'. The paintable ones state to use latex paint. The non-
paintable ones come precolored and state that paint will not adher to
them. However after years of weathering I'd give it a try anyway.

KC
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote in news:4272b971-bb30-4fb4-9d9a-
:

�

Fading is not a big deal. �Personally, I'd wait until the paint w

as
compromised. �If fading bothers you, pick another color that won'

t fad
so quickly. �Red is probably the worst.

might be easier to replace the shutters with a 25 year guarantee ones,
paint would last nearly as long as plastic original surface

expansion and contraction causes much grief

When you add up primer, paint, supplies etc, it may be damn close to the
cost of the cheapo Borg Builders Edge shutters. Guess it depends on how
much you hate painting shutters. I don't mind painting at all but
shutters suck. I've never sprayed them though.

As far as the XIM primer, I just used some. Was painting a garage door
that bakes in the mid south afternoon sun. Went to Sherwin Williams for
this one. They gave me the XIM bonding primer. It's solvent based and
dries major quick. Runs about $18 a qt.

All that compared to remove clear wrapping on econo shutters, hold up,
drive 6 screws, done. Then again, real easy for me to spend your money:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with Red...Painting shutters SUCK big time and with them being
plastic and already 10+ years old and probably brittle I'd just replace
them...They are only 30-40 bucks a pair for solid color plastic shutters at
Homedepot....By the time you buy the GOOD primer and paint the difference in
price won't be much I bet not to mention ALL the time it takes to sand ,
prep , prime and paint shutters....JMHO....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 9:56*pm, wrote:
My *shutters seem to need a paint job.... *they held up fairly well
for about 10 years but are rather faded. * They are the plastic
type shutters sold at the local big box stores.

Any suggestions on what type of paint to use.... *should they
be primed first ?? *Top coated ??? * I'm planning on using a
brush so self leveling paint would help.

Thanks in advance !!!

Peter

I painted mine a couple of years ago with Krylon plastic paint. So far
so good.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 12:27*am, Red Green wrote:
JIMMIE wrote in news:edcff647-4efe-4805-90dd-
:

On Jul 31, 9:56*pm, wrote:
My *shutters seem to need a paint job.... *they held up fairly well
for about 10 years but are rather faded. * They are the plastic
type shutters sold at the local big box stores.

Any suggestions on what type of paint to use.... *should they
be primed first ?? *Top coated ??? * I'm planning on using a
brush so self leveling paint would help.

Thanks in advance !!!

Peter

I painted mine a couple of years ago with Krylon plastic paint. So far
so good.

Jimmie

Really is interesting to hear a success story painting shutters.

Mind telling us what you did as far as cleaning, sanding, priming or
whatever? Do they get much sun morning/afternoon? What area are you
located?- Hide quoted text -

Plasic shutters, I washed them with TSP and bleach and sprayed them
with the Krylon plastic paint. I admit my shutters live a sheltered
life being only on the north and east side of the house. The southern
side has bay windows and french doors so there are no shutters on
them. They are dark blue and I dont think they have faded since I
painted them but two years isnt much of a test.. My neighbors who live
across the street face the south had to replace their's a few years
ago as their's was beyond painting. The house, 20 years old, had
wooden shutters when I bought it and they had to be replaced after 10
years.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 7/31/2009 10:21 PM (ET) C & E wrote the following:

wrote in message
My shutters seem to need a paint job.... they held up fairly well
for about 10 years but are rather faded. They are the plastic
type shutters sold at the local big box stores.

Any suggestions on what type of paint to use.... should they
be primed first ?? Top coated ??? I'm planning on using a
brush so self leveling paint would help.

Thanks in advance !!!

Peter

Check Lowe's and HD for a spray paint (spray bombs, believe it or not)
by Krylon, I believe. It is advertised to combine with the plastic.
I cannnot vouche for it so I hope that there better responses. Mine
is "last resort".

I'll vouch for the plastic paint. I used the Rustoleum brand on some
outdoor plastic planters 3 years ago. It's still in good shape after hot
summers and cold winters. Rustoleum also has a plastic primer, that when
used on plastic, can take any paint afterwards.
Valspar also has plastic spray paint in their American Tradition collection.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks all for the many excellent suggestions..... you've given a lot
of different options based on personal experience.

I'll be trying most of them. Won't replace the shutters unless
the surface has deteriorated, they are only 10 years old

But the thoughts of paintable versus non-paintable... and
long warranty makes it worthwhile to dig up the old paperwork.

I think these were 'builders edge' from Home Depot.

Thanks again for all the responses, suggestions. It's a
pleasure to work with you guys !!

Peter