Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window film to block sun heat

My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun heat in
the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after midnight to
cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film that can
block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window glass. But there
are only some small packs of decorative films available there. Need some
advice on this.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 4:26*am, "John61" wrote:
My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun heat in
the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after midnight to
cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film that can
block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window glass. But there
are only some small packs of decorative films available there. Need some
advice on this.

Thanks.

Any place that does auto window tinting should be able to sell you
some. You may want to consider having them do it. If done wrong it
bubbles and looks really ugly. We had all of the windows in our house
done by one of the local firms 10 years ago and they all still look
good. Be careful what you wash the windows with because some cleaners
are not good for tinted windows and will weaken the adhesive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John61" wrote in message

My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun heat

in
the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after midnight to
cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film that can
block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window glass.

It is not clear why you prefer tinted glass to:
-- exterior shade, as by an awning;
-- interior shielding: we fitted Venetian blinds to all
windows facing south.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try Lowes. Just check on-line Lost of choices out there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 3:26*am, "John61" wrote:
My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun heat in
the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after midnight to
cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film that can
block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window glass. But there
are only some small packs of decorative films available there. Need some
advice on this.

Thanks.

If they are dual pane you will void many companies warrantys, the
interior pane heats faster and can crack in certain situations like
when the sun comes up when its real cold out and the panes expand
unevenly. I cracked a few. Research it first or better yet have a
local glass co do it that guarntees their work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 8:52*am, Van Chocstraw
wrote:

Any place that does auto window tinting should be able to sell you
some. *You may want to consider having them do it. *If done wrong it
bubbles and looks really ugly.

That bubbling is caused by the morons not removing the backing on the
window tint plastic.

Many films, and pretty much all of the professional film, does not
have a backing. The bubbles are trapped air. The instructions will
specify how to minimize bubbles and what to do when you can't slide
them out to the edge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John61 wrote:
My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun heat in
the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after midnight to
cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film that can
block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window glass. But there
are only some small packs of decorative films available there. Need some
advice on this.

Thanks.

Hi,
Those films known to damage the glass(cracking) from heat build up.
It happened to our window. S/W facing double pane window suffered damage
and window company wouldn't honor warranty finding out film was
used. Single pane windows are OK. Since we upgraded to low E Argon
filled double pane windows. Single panes on my sun room still has films
w/o any problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message
John61 wrote:
My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun heat
in the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after midnight
to cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film that
can block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window glass. But
there are only some small packs of decorative films available there. Need
some advice on this.

Thanks.

There are some spray on windows tints. Check the paint store or auto paint
store.

In reference to your previous post: "That bubbling is caused by the morons
not removing the backing on the
window tint plastic."

Some morons might forget to take the cap off the can before spraying.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:
JimmyDahGeek wrote:
On Jul 31, 4:26 am, "John61" wrote:
[...]

I have never seen a backing on those plastic films. The bubbles are due
to trapped air.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John61 wrote:
My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun heat in
the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after midnight to
cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film that can
block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window glass. But there
are only some small packs of decorative films available there. Need some
advice on this.

Thanks.

The main issue with those films is they cause damage to the glazing
because of uneven heating. It is likely your minivan doesn't have double
pane windows.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 8:44*am, ransley wrote:
On Jul 31, 3:26*am, "John61" wrote:

My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun heat in
the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after midnight to
cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film that can
block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window glass. But there
are only some small packs of decorative films available there. Need some
advice on this.

Thanks.

If they are dual pane you will void many companies warrantys, the
interior pane heats faster and can crack in certain situations like
when the sun comes up when its real cold out and the panes expand
unevenly. I cracked a few. Research it first or better yet have a
local glass co do it that guarntees their work.

Yes, that is an issue and also limits how dark the film can be vs how
large the window is. I know I saw film available ateither Lowes or
HD, think it was Lowes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John61" wrote in message
My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun heat
in the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after midnight
to cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film that can
block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window glass. But there
are only some small packs of decorative films available there. Need some
advice on this.

Thanks.

Some thoughts from my own experiences:

Putting up reflective foil will increase bird strikes tremendously, and some
of them will be big. Foil will change the view, but not a lot. Foil is
permanent, and you can't put it up and down at will.

I built a 33' x 13.5' steel awning to shade my windows, and it is
inadequate. I am going to build some steel/canvas awnings to shade some of
the windows I'm currently using foil in, but know I will end up using both.

I made some squares out of that spongy foil material that I use on smaller
windows in the laundry room, and some of the rooms. Works great, but
doesn't look good. The upside is that it is very easy to put on and take
off, and can be used seasonally when the sun shifts.

I made some larger hanging panels out of the same materials they use for
shade shutters, but it just hangs on the inside. You can see through it
somewhat, and you can put it up and take it down as the day goes on or the
season goes on. Doesn't trap dirt and bugs like exterior panels.

As for the reflective foil, I put some on a house once. It's not brain
surgery, but it takes a bit to learn how to do it right. With the state of
the economy right now, I'd check and see what someone would charge to do it.
Plus, they have access to wider rolls and different stuff than you can get
at the Borg.

Any way you go, it does make a large difference.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

John61 wrote:
My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun
heat in the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after
midnight to cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film
that can block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window
glass. But there are only some small packs of decorative films
available there. Need some advice on this.

Yep, sun's a bitch!

1. Window film IS available and does a very good job. It should be available
at HD in 30-36" widths. Keep looking.

2. Not only is the direct sun a problem, but the reflected heat from
adjacent concrete is also. I got some silverized tarps, 9x12 ft, and rigged
them up as semi-temporary awnings over our patios which lead to sliding
glass doors. By actual measurement, the temperature of the concrete on the
patio dropped to 92° compared to the un-shaded walkway of 113° (ambient air
temp was 101°).

I got the tarps at HF - about $10 each.

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
Van Chocstraw wrote:
JimmyDahGeek wrote:
On Jul 31, 4:26 am, "John61" wrote:
[...]

I watched the guy applying the 3M film on our patio single pane windows.
It comes many different shade and color.
No backing for sure. On a clean glass, he thinly applied ivory gentle
liquid soap put on precut film sheet and squeeze out over and over until
there is no bubbles. just few minutes effort. Just like hanging wall paper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun heat
in
the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after midnight to
cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film that
can
block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window glass.

Film isnt going to do it..Didja notice that even though cars have tinted
windows, it still gets to be 135 oF in there in the Summer sun.

It is not clear why you prefer tinted glass to: -- exterior shade, as by
an awning;

We hung some "roll down" shades outside the glass (white plastic tubes from
Big Box stores, sort of like Soft drink straws (shaped like 0 ).

We roll em up after the sun has passed by. It cut our "inside" heat WAY
down

- interior shielding: we fitted Venetian blinds to all windows facing
south.

We already had these "inside" but found that once the heat comes "in" thru
the glass, the house temp stayed right up there..
All the venetian blinds do is channel the heat UP to the top of the window,
then out into the room. They do help in Sun damage/fading.

There are rolldown "Sun shades" /sunchasers (like the ones on Larger RVs)
that even have remote controls.

Just make sure that whatever you get, is on the OUTSIDE.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 4:26*am, "John61" wrote:
My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun heat in
the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after midnight to
cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film that can
block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window glass. But there
are only some small packs of decorative films available there. Need some
advice on this.

Thanks.

I got some at Lowes a few months ago. It was the reflective type --
like Troopers' Sunglasses. Follow the directions and it goes up
easily and quickly. Be careful with the final trimming.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 18:47:29 -0700 (PDT), PatM
wrote:

On Jul 31, 4:26*am, "John61" wrote:
My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun heat in
the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after midnight to
cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film that can
block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window glass. But there
are only some small packs of decorative films available there. Need some
advice on this.

Thanks.

I got some at Lowes a few months ago. It was the reflective type --
like Troopers' Sunglasses. Follow the directions and it goes up
easily and quickly. Be careful with the final trimming.

An interesting experience.... last winter I applied Storm King
Heat Shrink Window Film on the windows. This is the stuff
that you tape the plastic around the window frame and use
a heat gun to shrink it to a pretty clear, invisible film over
the window.

I figured I'd have to take it down during the summer, but
surprise !! The shrink wrap actually is keeping the house
cooler !! Guess the layer of air is keeping heat out of
the house.

There are a lot of windows which I don't use, so I'm
keeping the window plastic on year round. the shrink
wrap stuff stays almost crystal clear.

Even with screens, flies manage to get into the windows but the
plastic stops them.

I had a window with a venetian blind fitted into the casement...
just adjusted the blinds the way I wanted and sealed the window
off with shrink wrap, over the top of the venetian blind. It's been
working really well... can't adjust the blinds, but they were
adjusted well to begin with

fwiw

Peter

Posted to alt.home.repair

John61 wrote:

My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun heat in
the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after midnight to
cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film that can
block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window glass. But there
are only some small packs of decorative films available there. Need some
advice on this.

Thanks.

I noticed a good deal of solar gain in the afternoon from one big window
in my house. The window has mini-blinds that I pretty much never open
anyway, so for the heck of it I just taped a mylar "space blanket" over
the window. The afternoon temp near the window dropped dramatically,
reducing the overall A/C load, and with the mini-blinds closed anyway,
you can't see the space blanket from the outside. There is another
window in the room that doesn't get blasted by the sun so the room still
gets plenty of natural light.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jul 31, 10:58 am, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
I watched the guy applying the 3M film on our patio single pane windows.
It comes many different shade and color.
No backing for sure. On a clean glass, he thinly applied ivory gentle
liquid soap put on precut film sheet and squeeze out over and over until
there is no bubbles. just few minutes effort. Just like hanging wall
paper.

That few minutes of effort came after a lot of practice. The pros make
it look like a piece of cake but the application frustrates a lot of
DIYers.

It's like welding. It's like ANYTHING. After you do it a couple of
thousand hours, it is easy and looks easy to an onlooker. And I don't care
what it is. Even brain surgery.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in
:

"RicodJour" wrote in message
.
.. On Jul 31, 10:58 am, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
I watched the guy applying the 3M film on our patio single pane
windows. It comes many different shade and color.
No backing for sure. On a clean glass, he thinly applied ivory gentle
liquid soap put on precut film sheet and squeeze out over and over
until there is no bubbles. just few minutes effort. Just like hanging
wall paper.

That few minutes of effort came after a lot of practice. The pros make
it look like a piece of cake but the application frustrates a lot of
DIYers.

It's like welding. It's like ANYTHING. After you do it a couple of
thousand hours, it is easy and looks easy to an onlooker. And I don't
care what it is. Even brain surgery.

Steve

welding is more fun.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jul 31, 10:58 am, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
I watched the guy applying the 3M film on our patio single pane windows.
It comes many different shade and color.
No backing for sure. On a clean glass, he thinly applied ivory gentle
liquid soap put on precut film sheet and squeeze out over and over until
there is no bubbles. just few minutes effort. Just like hanging wall
paper.

That few minutes of effort came after a lot of practice. The pros make
it look like a piece of cake but the application frustrates a lot of
DIYers.

It's like welding. It's like ANYTHING. After you do it a couple of
thousand hours, it is easy and looks easy to an onlooker. And I don't
care what it is. Even brain surgery.

Steve

If your windows are double pane sealed units, check out the warranty on the
glass. We recently changed our windows and in the process of doing research
for the project discovered that all the manufacturers available to use
voided their warranties if a film was applied to the windows.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Perry Jamal had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...at-386652-.htm
:
you can visit the following website to find additional info on frosted
window film
href="http://www.frosted-window-film.com/frosted-window-film-ways-spice-dining-room.html"frosted
window film/a

Window film to cut down on heat Adrian UK diy 12 July 3rd 09 01:03 AM
Window Film Tiziano Home Ownership 1 June 23rd 09 03:38 PM
anti-heat window film meirman Home Repair 12 July 15th 05 05:24 PM
Window Film Richard Martin Home Ownership 0 March 22nd 04 03:40 PM
installing heat reflective window film? davekap Home Repair 1 July 21st 03 02:43 AM