Can I use a clothes iron in place of "seam iron" on carpet?

Old June 30th 09, 04:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I use a clothes iron in place of "seam iron" on carpet?

I have a small run of wall-to-wall carpet that I want to join along a seam in a
hallway -- maybe 3 feet across.

I purchased some carpet heat bond tape at the Borg.
Can I use an old clothes iron to activate the teap and make the seam
or do I need to rent a real seaming iron?

If so, how do I use the iron properly?
- What setting?
- How do I heat the tape?

- How much time do I have after heating the tape to position it before
it hardens?

Will this make a big mess and ruin the iron?
Old July 1st 09, 03:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote:
I have a small run of wall-to-wall carpet that I want to join along a
seam in a hallway -- maybe 3 feet across.

I purchased some carpet heat bond tape at the Borg.
Can I use an old clothes iron to activate the teap and make the seam
or do I need to rent a real seaming iron?

If so, how do I use the iron properly?
- What setting?
- How do I heat the tape?

- How much time do I have after heating the tape to position it before
it hardens?

Will this make a big mess and ruin the iron?

Without a doubt on this one.

Old July 1st 09, 03:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
blueman wrote:
I have a small run of wall-to-wall carpet that I want to join along a
seam in a hallway -- maybe 3 feet across.

I purchased some carpet heat bond tape at the Borg.
Can I use an old clothes iron to activate the teap and make the seam
or do I need to rent a real seaming iron?

If so, how do I use the iron properly?
- What setting?
- How do I heat the tape?

- How much time do I have after heating the tape to position it
before it hardens?

Will this make a big mess and ruin the iron?

Without a doubt on this one.

The better question is "will it work." You can get an iron at Walmart for
$6.00. Use it and toss it.

Old July 1st 09, 06:03 AM posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Bob F wrote:
blueman wrote:
I have a small run of wall-to-wall carpet that I want to join along
a seam in a hallway -- maybe 3 feet across.

I purchased some carpet heat bond tape at the Borg.
Can I use an old clothes iron to activate the teap and make the seam
or do I need to rent a real seaming iron?

If so, how do I use the iron properly?
- What setting?
- How do I heat the tape?

- How much time do I have after heating the tape to position it
before it hardens?

Will this make a big mess and ruin the iron?

Without a doubt on this one.

The better question is "will it work." You can get an iron at Walmart
for $6.00. Use it and toss it.

I'd get one at a thrift skop or garage sale, or ask on freeecycle.

Lot's of people throw them away after burning something onto them.

Old July 1st 09, 02:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 11:26*am, blueman wrote:
I have a small run of wall-to-wall carpet that I want to join along a seam in a
hallway -- maybe 3 feet across.

I purchased some carpet heat bond tape at the Borg.
Can I use an old clothes iron to activate the teap and make the seam
or do I need to rent a real seaming iron?

If so, how do I use the iron properly?
* *- What setting?
* *- How do I heat the tape?

- How much time do I have after heating the tape to position it before
* it hardens?

Will this make a big mess and ruin the iron?

How about Hot Glue?

http://www.redtopic.com/seam-repair.html

Lot's of tips for a good seam...

http://www.rlapolymers.com.au/new_po...seam_tips.html

Old July 1st 09, 08:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 writes:

On Jun 30, 11:26*am, blueman wrote:
I have a small run of wall-to-wall carpet that I want to join along a seam in a
hallway -- maybe 3 feet across.

I purchased some carpet heat bond tape at the Borg.
Can I use an old clothes iron to activate the teap and make the seam
or do I need to rent a real seaming iron?

If so, how do I use the iron properly?
* *- What setting?
* *- How do I heat the tape?

- How much time do I have after heating the tape to position it before
* it hardens?

Will this make a big mess and ruin the iron?

How about Hot Glue?

http://www.redtopic.com/seam-repair.html

Lot's of tips for a good seam...

http://www.rlapolymers.com.au/new_po...seam_tips.html

All very good ideas which gave me a couple of ones that worked...
Two in particular:

1. I ended up using my HEAT GUN to melt the tape. Since I didn't want
to burn my house down or melt the carpet I was very careful to
(mostly) use the low setting and to keep the tip very close to the
tape. As a precaution, I also wet the underlying wood floor and the
top of the carpet. I melted about 6-12" of tape at a time, keeping the
carpet clear of the tape and the heat gun. I then use my fingers to
align the seam edges together and a scrap of 2x4 wood to apply
pressure. All in all, this worked quite well.

2. For touch up spots, I used my $5 Radio Shack AA-battery powered
"throwaway" SOLDERING IRON. Its fine tip was just perfect for
fitting in to small cracks to melt the glue in some inaccessible
spots.

Now if I had a long run to do or if I were working on expensive
carpet, I would call in a pro or at least rent a steaming iron. But
for the short run of cheap carpet that we have in our closet hallway,
this way worked just fine -- and all it cost me was the $6 for a roll
of seaming tape.
Old July 1st 09, 08:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:

[...]

Thank You for the report!

Lou
Old July 1st 09, 09:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 11:26*am, blueman wrote:
I have a small run of wall-to-wall carpet that I want to join along a seam in a
hallway -- maybe 3 feet across.

I purchased some carpet heat bond tape at the Borg.
Can I use an old clothes iron to activate the teap and make the seam
or do I need to rent a real seaming iron?

If so, how do I use the iron properly?
* *- What setting?
* *- How do I heat the tape?

- How much time do I have after heating the tape to position it before
* it hardens?

Will this make a big mess and ruin the iron?

Years ago I watched my sister in law do it. The carpet stuck well but
and she used my mothers iron which was still fine when she got
through. She also had a lot of experience installing carpet. I would
think that anything that would ruin a regular iron would also ruin a
seaming iron so you would want to be careful and not get glue on
anything. I think I remember her using some kinf of paper between the
iron and the carpet, maybe waxed paper or something like that.

Jimmie

Old September 20th 13, 01:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:26:22 AM UTC-5, blueman wrote:
I have a small run of wall-to-wall carpet that I want to join along a seam in a
hallway -- maybe 3 feet across.

I purchased some carpet heat bond tape at the Borg.
Can I use an old clothes iron to activate the teap and make the seam
or do I need to rent a real seaming iron?

If so, how do I use the iron properly?
- What setting?
- How do I heat the tape?

- How much time do I have after heating the tape to position it before
it hardens?

Will this make a big mess and ruin the iron?

go to youtube. i could explain but there are plenty of vidieos out there that will walk you through it. its not hard to do at all.

Searching for "old heavy iron" vertical mill trg-s338 Metalworking 7 May 5th 09 01:35 PM
"Blanking" technique for iron soil pipe socket Vortex UK diy 1 September 14th 07 06:57 PM
So "The iron lady" netprospect UK diy 0 July 18th 07 01:57 PM
"seasoning" cast iron frill grates Ubin Home Repair 13 August 1st 06 01:22 PM
Crystal Clean "Iron Filter In A Bottle" [email protected] Home Ownership 0 April 25th 06 03:23 PM