Default Dog Barks at Owl

If I leave my dog outside at night, she'll bark and wake up the
neighborhood, but the owl stays away, too.
If I leave my dog inside at night, the owl hoots and the dog barks and wakes
up the family.
We need sleep.
Is there a way to keep the owl away from my yard?
The owl has been around for only a week ... will it move away pretty soon? I
am in Raleigh, NC.
Other advice?

Oscar_Lives

"B" wrote in message
m...
If I leave my dog outside at night, she'll bark and wake up the
neighborhood, but the owl stays away, too.
If I leave my dog inside at night, the owl hoots and the dog barks and
wakes
up the family.
We need sleep.
Is there a way to keep the owl away from my yard?
The owl has been around for only a week ... will it move away pretty soon?
am in Raleigh, NC.
Other advice?

If your dog barks outside and disturbs the neighbors, then you obviously
don't deserve to have a dog. Take the mutt to the pound, since you have
failed to properly train your dog not to bark outside.

If you lived next door to me, I would shoot your dog or poison it the first
night it started barking and woke me up.

Art

Wow, I live in Cary. Would be neat to have a neighborhood owl. I hear
hoots in my neighborhood buy assume it is pigeons (doves) which are all over
the place. Probably would be good food for your owl.

"B" wrote in message
m...
If I leave my dog outside at night, she'll bark and wake up the
neighborhood, but the owl stays away, too.
If I leave my dog inside at night, the owl hoots and the dog barks and
wakes
up the family.
We need sleep.
Is there a way to keep the owl away from my yard?
The owl has been around for only a week ... will it move away pretty soon?
am in Raleigh, NC.
Other advice?

tcg

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

| "B" wrote in message
| m...
| If I leave my dog outside at night, she'll bark and wake up the
| neighborhood,

snip

| If you lived next door to me, I would shoot your dog or poison it the
first
| night it started barking and woke me up.

And I thought I had ****ty neighbors............

Oscar_Lives

"tcg" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

| "B" wrote in message
| m...
| If I leave my dog outside at night, she'll bark and wake up the
| neighborhood,

snip

| If you lived next door to me, I would shoot your dog or poison it the
first
| night it started barking and woke me up.

And I thought I had ****ty neighbors............

Your neighbors sure do, if there is a barking dog next door.

m Ransley

The owl is eating rodents that will try to get in your house this
winter. Keep the dog in your room and train it to be quiet, it wont take
but a few scoldings.

SQLit

"B" wrote in message
m...
If I leave my dog outside at night, she'll bark and wake up the
neighborhood, but the owl stays away, too.
If I leave my dog inside at night, the owl hoots and the dog barks and

wakes
up the family.
We need sleep.
Is there a way to keep the owl away from my yard?
The owl has been around for only a week ... will it move away pretty soon?

am in Raleigh, NC.
Other advice?

Super Barks a lot, JC Penny, or a bark collar.

Phisherman

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 02:46:58 GMT, "B" wrote:

If I leave my dog outside at night, she'll bark and wake up the
neighborhood, but the owl stays away, too.
If I leave my dog inside at night, the owl hoots and the dog barks and wakes
up the family.
We need sleep.
Is there a way to keep the owl away from my yard?
The owl has been around for only a week ... will it move away pretty soon? I
am in Raleigh, NC.
Other advice?

Anti-bark collar. Take the dog inside at night. Give away the dog.
Mussels may choke dogs.

Sunflower

"B" wrote in message
m...
If I leave my dog outside at night, she'll bark and wake up the
neighborhood, but the owl stays away, too.
If I leave my dog inside at night, the owl hoots and the dog barks and
wakes
up the family.
We need sleep.
Is there a way to keep the owl away from my yard?
The owl has been around for only a week ... will it move away pretty soon?
am in Raleigh, NC.
Other advice?

If your dog were properly crate trained and slept in your bedroom, I doubt
seriously if he would bark.

Barney

"Oscar_Lives" had
writtennews:hb7fd.303227$MQ5.212737@attbi_s52:

Your neighbors sure do, if there is a barking dog next door.

You had said nothing about the owl yet. Can't wait to hear a solution
from you. I imagine you live in a neighbourhood were pets are not
allowed.
--
Barney
Gizmofiddler

Mussels may choke dogs, but at least they'd clam up for the night.

Anti-bark collar. Take the dog inside at night. Give away the dog.
Mussels may choke dogs.

Oscar_Lives

"Barney" wrote in message
. net...
"Oscar_Lives" had
writtennews:hb7fd.303227$MQ5.212737@attbi_s52:

Your neighbors sure do, if there is a barking dog next door.

You had said nothing about the owl yet. Can't wait to hear a solution
from you. I imagine you live in a neighbourhood were pets are not
allowed.
--
Barney

The owl is not the problem. The problem is ****ing asshole neighbors like
you who let their dogs bark outside and disturb their neighbors.

Get a clue: It ain't the owl. It really ain't the dog (except I would be
tempted to club him with a ball bat to stop the racket.) It is YOU.

Oscar_Lives

"Barney" wrote in message
. net...
"Oscar_Lives" had
writtennews:hb7fd.303227$MQ5.212737@attbi_s52:

Your neighbors sure do, if there is a barking dog next door.

You had said nothing about the owl yet. Can't wait to hear a solution
from you. I imagine you live in a neighbourhood were pets are not
allowed.
--
Barney

The owl is not the problem. The problem is ****ing asshole neighbors like
you who let their dogs bark outside and disturb their neighbors.

Get a clue: It ain't the owl. It really ain't the dog (except I would be
tempted to club him with a ball bat to stop the racket.) It is YOU.

Goddamn, I hate dogs.

Norminn

B wrote:
If I leave my dog outside at night, she'll bark and wake up the
neighborhood, but the owl stays away, too.
If I leave my dog inside at night, the owl hoots and the dog barks and wakes
up the family.
We need sleep.
Is there a way to keep the owl away from my yard?
The owl has been around for only a week ... will it move away pretty soon? I
am in Raleigh, NC.
Other advice?

It might be like living next to the RR tracks - everyone becomes
accustomed to it and will eventually not notice the sound. Put fido in
a room with radio playing very softly and perhaps he won't hear the owl.

Hagrinas Mivali

Oscar_Lives wrote:
"B" wrote in message
m...
If I leave my dog outside at night, she'll bark and wake up the
neighborhood, but the owl stays away, too.
If I leave my dog inside at night, the owl hoots and the dog barks
and wakes
up the family.
We need sleep.
Is there a way to keep the owl away from my yard?
The owl has been around for only a week ... will it move away pretty
soon? I
am in Raleigh, NC.
Other advice?

If your dog barks outside and disturbs the neighbors, then you
obviously don't deserve to have a dog. Take the mutt to the pound,
since you have failed to properly train your dog not to bark outside.

If you lived next door to me, I would shoot your dog or poison it the
first night it started barking and woke me up.

If you call the animal control department, they will come down and look into
barking dogs. They will most likely give the owner some brochures on
training the dog not to bark. If you poison the dog, you will go to jail.
They may not catch you for this, but it's rare for criminals to stick to a
single crime. One of these days, you will get caught.

Oscar_Lives

"Stephen King" wrote in message

"Barney" wrote in message
. net...
"Oscar_Lives" had
writtennews:hb7fd.303227$MQ5.212737@attbi_s52:

Your neighbors sure do, if there is a barking dog next door.

You had said nothing about the owl yet. Can't wait to hear a
solution from you. I imagine you live in a neighbourhood were pets
are not allowed.
--
Barney

The owl is not the problem. The problem is ****ing asshole neighbors
like you who let their dogs bark outside and disturb their neighbors.

Get a clue: It ain't the owl. It really ain't the dog (except I
would be tempted to club him with a ball bat to stop the racket.) It
is YOU.

Goddamn, I hate dogs.

You probably have a cat that runs around everywhere ****ing in other
people's gardens. Digging like a maniac. Jumping on their cars and
scratching the hell out of the paint.

Nope. My cats never go outside.

design_diva

Wow! You haven't gotten much serious advice, have you? Who knew
the pooch could bring out such...passionate...responses.

If you have an "interior," room in your house, place the dog in that
room, with their bed. By interior, I mean no outside walls, and no
windows. They should not be able to hear outside (i.e., the owl)
noise from this room.

If being away from you will result in barking, try putting the dog
where it normally sleeps, but put a portable fan near it. This will
create white noise, preventing the dog from hearing the owl. Fan
should not oscillate, as that affects the noise it produces. Needs to
be high speed and steady (pointed away from the dog of course).

Finally, as a training method to stop barking, fill an empty, clean
spray bottle with water. Whenever the dog barks, say "NO" in a low,
firm voice and spray the dog in the face. It has to be a new spray
bottle (reused is too risky because you might not get it clean
enough). This was recommended to us in obedience school. Sounds
mean, but our Labradoodle learned very quickly. ‘Course, our Lhasa
Apso was another story...god help you if you have one of those!
(laugh)

Good luck.
Oscar_Lives

"Barney" wrote in message
[...]

oh, well that's good they stay protected inside. It must be you running
around doing all that stuff outside. LOL.

I still say that the problem with your dog would be solved if you just
clubbed the ****er with a ball bat.

JD

We adopted a resccue dog that was kept outside and developed a barking
problem before we got him. We took him to obedience school and learned how
to control his barking. There is a spray that you can buy in pet stores
called Bitter Apple. The technique we used was say "no bark". We said it
quietly and without yelling as dogs hearing is 30 times better than humans.
If he barked again we opened his mouth and put one spray of Bitter Apple in
his mouth and said "no bark". After two or three times of doing that he got
the message. Now all we say is "no bark" and he becomes quiet immediately.
I think the owl is a helper in keeping rodents out of your house so I would
try and train the dog to stay inside and not bark. We don't correct the dog
when people come up the driveway because we want them to learn to give an
"alarm bark" but when we say good boy, no bark. they stop.
This is an idea that won't annoy your neighbors, you will have a better
behaved dog and less rodents.
Good Luck.
JD
"B" wrote in message
m...
If I leave my dog outside at night, she'll bark and wake up the
neighborhood, but the owl stays away, too.
If I leave my dog inside at night, the owl hoots and the dog barks and
wakes
up the family.
We need sleep.
Is there a way to keep the owl away from my yard?
The owl has been around for only a week ... will it move away pretty soon?
am in Raleigh, NC.
Other advice?

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to B, Lin wrote:
I hope it not a small dog. Owls and other large birds of prey will make a
meal of small dogs and cats if they cant find something easier to carry
away.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...wl-562281-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair