DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Drilling Hardy Plank Siding (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/280821-drilling-hardy-plank-siding.html)

red[_2_] June 23rd 09 01:57 AM

Drilling Hardy Plank Siding

Anybody have any tips for working with Hardy (Hardie?) plank siding?
I've volunteered to hang some hooks on a hardy plank wall. Will I
need masonry bit to drill holes? I know the manufacturer isn't keen
on installers using screws to hang the siding. Does that apply to
"accessories" also? I'm guessing fiber/cement board isn't intended
for weight bearing applications and I'll have to make sure to find
studs or at least reach the sheathing if she wants anything heavy
hung.

Thanks,
Chris

stan June 23rd 09 03:01 AM

On Jun 22, 9:57*pm, red wrote:
Anybody have any tips for working with Hardy (Hardie?) plank siding?
I've volunteered to hang some hooks on a hardy plank wall. *Will I
need masonry bit to drill holes? * I know the manufacturer isn't keen
on installers using screws to hang the siding. *Does that apply to
"accessories" also? * I'm guessing fiber/cement board isn't intended
for weight bearing applications and I'll have to make sure to find
studs or at least reach the sheathing if she wants anything heavy
hung.

Thanks,
Chris

It may also be that the siding needs to be able to move a little as it
heats up (expands) or cools down (contracts).
Screws into or through it might cause splitting/cracking and also
might void any warranty? May be best to check further.
A neighbour here had trouble with some Hardi-plank crumbling in our
(at times) damp climate. Hardie Plank provided some compensation under
warranty on basis that before sale the local retailer may have stored
it outside. Also advising that it should be installed and immediately
painted!

benick[_2_] June 23rd 09 03:06 AM

"red" wrote in message
Anybody have any tips for working with Hardy (Hardie?) plank siding?
I've volunteered to hang some hooks on a hardy plank wall. Will I
need masonry bit to drill holes? I know the manufacturer isn't keen
on installers using screws to hang the siding. Does that apply to
"accessories" also? I'm guessing fiber/cement board isn't intended
for weight bearing applications and I'll have to make sure to find
studs or at least reach the sheathing if she wants anything heavy
hung.

Thanks,
Chris

Fasteners must be corrosion resistant, galvanized, or stainless steel...I'd
find the studs....

HeyBub[_3_] June 23rd 09 04:10 AM

benick wrote:
"red" wrote in message
Anybody have any tips for working with Hardy (Hardie?) plank siding?
I've volunteered to hang some hooks on a hardy plank wall. Will I
need masonry bit to drill holes? I know the manufacturer isn't keen
on installers using screws to hang the siding. Does that apply to
"accessories" also? I'm guessing fiber/cement board isn't intended
for weight bearing applications and I'll have to make sure to find
studs or at least reach the sheathing if she wants anything heavy
hung.

Thanks,
Chris

Fasteners must be corrosion resistant, galvanized, or stainless
steel...I'd find the studs....

Right. And drill a hole in the HardiePlank such that it doesn't bind on the
plank.

Tony Hwang June 23rd 09 06:11 AM

red wrote:
Anybody have any tips for working with Hardy (Hardie?) plank siding?
I've volunteered to hang some hooks on a hardy plank wall. Will I
need masonry bit to drill holes? I know the manufacturer isn't keen
on installers using screws to hang the siding. Does that apply to
"accessories" also? I'm guessing fiber/cement board isn't intended
for weight bearing applications and I'll have to make sure to find
studs or at least reach the sheathing if she wants anything heavy
hung.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi,
My cabin has that kind sidings on exterior wall. I only hung couple of
hose hangers. I drilled little larger hole that the screws into a stud,
I put teflon washer under/over the hanger holes. Nothing bad happened
over the years.

red[_2_] June 24th 09 03:50 AM

Drilling Hardy Plank Siding

On Jun 22, 10:10*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
benick wrote:
snip

OK, thanks all. The planks are 200 klicks away from my workshop, so
knowing things in advance is helpful!

JIMMIE June 24th 09 05:04 AM

On Jun 23, 12:11*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
red wrote:
Anybody have any tips for working with Hardy (Hardie?) plank siding?
I've volunteered to hang some hooks on a hardy plank wall. *Will I
need masonry bit to drill holes? * I know the manufacturer isn't keen
on installers using screws to hang the siding. *Does that apply to
"accessories" also? * I'm guessing fiber/cement board isn't intended
for weight bearing applications and I'll have to make sure to find
studs or at least reach the sheathing if she wants anything heavy
hung.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi,
My cabin has that kind sidings on exterior wall. I only hung couple of
hose hangers. I drilled little larger hole that the screws into a stud,
I put teflon washer under/over the hanger holes. Nothing bad happened
over the years.

I used Hardie siding on my storage shed. When I put a hose hanger on
the side of it I quickly learned to drill it much like you would
ceramic tile, make the hole bigger than the screw and either screw
into a stud or use some kind of anchor like you would on sheetrock.

Jimmie

Mike May 23rd 17 10:44 PM

Drilling Hardy Plank Siding

replying to Tony Hwang, Mike wrote:
How did you find the stud under the hardie plank? Was it a special type of
stud finder?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-379954-.htm

Bob F May 24th 17 02:59 AM

On 5/23/2017 1:44 PM, Mike wrote:
replying to Tony Hwang, Mike wrote:
How did you find the stud under the hardie plank? Was it a special type of
stud finder?

A strong magnet should easily find the nails holding it to the stubs.

Art Todesco May 24th 17 05:07 PM

On 5/23/2017 4:44 PM, Mike wrote:
replying to Tony Hwang, Mike wrote:
How did you find the stud under the hardie plank? Was it a special type of
stud finder?

My stud finder didn't seem to work, but I knocked on the Hardie siding
with my knuckles and I could clearly hear where there was a stud.