Posted to alt.home.repair

Default plumbers putty

Hi All,

Is Plumber's Putty drinking water safe, or should you
only use it on waste water lines?

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

T wrote:
Hi All,

Is Plumber's Putty drinking water safe, or should you
only use it on waste water lines?

Many thanks,
-T

You're looking for an answer to this on a newsgroup???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/23/2017 04:30 PM, Bill wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

Is Plumber's Putty drinking water safe, or should you
only use it on waste water lines?

Many thanks,
-T

You're looking for an answer to this on a newsgroup???

Yes as a matter of fact. There is a lot of wonderful
intellectual property on this group and folks
don't mind sharing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

T wrote:
Hi All,

Is Plumber's Putty drinking water safe, or should you
only use it on waste water lines?

Many thanks,
-T

You're looking for an answer to this on a newsgroup???

Yes as a matter of fact. There is a lot of wonderful
intellectual property on this group and folks
don't mind sharing.

Idiot, No, folks don't mind sharing. If I tell you it's fine, are you
going to
possibly put your family in harms way? I'm on the side that suspects
it's not fine at all. I think this is a most-idiotic way to answer your
question compared
to visiting the manufacturers web site or reading the appropriate
documentation! I feel bad for your family.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/17 6:26 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

Is Plumber's Putty drinking water safe, or should you
only use it on waste water lines?

Many thanks,
-T

It won't hold pressure according to this:
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/4-different-uses-for-plumbers-putty

Posted to alt.home.repair

T wrote:
Hi All,

Is Plumber's Putty drinking water safe, or should you
only use it on waste water lines?

Many thanks,
-T

You're looking for an answer to this on a newsgroup???

Yes as a matter of fact. There is a lot of wonderful
intellectual property on this group and folks
don't mind sharing.

Idiot, No, folks don't mind sharing. If I tell you it's fine, are you
going to
possibly put your family in harms way? I'm on the side that suspects
it's not fine at all. I think this is a most-idiotic way to answer your
question compared
to visiting the manufacturers web site or reading the appropriate
documentation! I feel bad for your family.

What makes you think I won't double check?
You are thinking too much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/23/2017 04:58 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 5/23/17 6:26 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

Is Plumber's Putty drinking water safe, or should you
only use it on waste water lines?

Many thanks,
-T

It won't hold pressure according to this:
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/4-different-uses-for-plumbers-putty

I was going to use a very thin layer around the gasket on my
exhaust line of my swamp cooler, which is giving me a bad time with
a slow leak. My concern was if something toxic got mixed into
the water and then got blown all over the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 6:26:51 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
Hi All,

Is Plumber's Putty drinking water safe, or should you
only use it on waste water lines?

Many thanks,
-T

You silly thing, I thought everyone knew that plumber's putty is for filling in butt cracks? ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Crack Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

T wrote:
Hi All,

Is Plumber's Putty drinking water safe, or should you
only use it on waste water lines?

Many thanks,
-T

You're looking for an answer to this on a newsgroup???

Yes as a matter of fact. There is a lot of wonderful
intellectual property on this group and folks
don't mind sharing.

Idiot, No, folks don't mind sharing. If I tell you it's fine, are
you going to
possibly put your family in harms way? I'm on the side that suspects
it's not fine at all. I think this is a most-idiotic way to answer
your question compared
to visiting the manufacturers web site or reading the appropriate
documentation! I feel bad for your family.

What makes you think I won't double check?

If you do things properly, you wouldn't need to "double-check". You
were seeking opinions, and I have offered you several.

Posted to alt.home.repair

T wrote:
Hi All,

Is Plumber's Putty drinking water safe, or should you
only use it on waste water lines?

Many thanks,
-T

You're looking for an answer to this on a newsgroup???

Yes as a matter of fact. There is a lot of wonderful
intellectual property on this group and folks
don't mind sharing.

Idiot, No, folks don't mind sharing. If I tell you it's fine, are you
going to
possibly put your family in harms way? I'm on the side that suspects
it's not fine at all. I think this is a most-idiotic way to answer your
question compared
to visiting the manufacturers web site or reading the appropriate
documentation! I feel bad for your family.

What makes you think I won't double check?
You are thinking too much.

You go.
Miserable has taken over common sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/2017 7:26 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

Is Plumber's Putty drinking water safe, or should you
only use it on waste water lines?

Many thanks,
-T

Yah, I checked the label and there is less than 1 gram of carbohydrate per serving. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

T wrote:
[...]

Ya, you called me an idiot. There may be some truth to that, but ...

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
-- Charles Varlet de La Grange

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/17 6:26 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

Is Plumber's Putty drinking water safe, or should you
only use it on waste water lines?

Many thanks,
-T

It won't hold pressure according to this:
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/4-different-uses-for-plumbers-putty

I was going to use a very thin layer around the gasket on my
exhaust line of my swamp cooler, which is giving me a bad time with
a slow leak. My concern was if something toxic got mixed into
the water and then got blown all over the house.

Aquarium sealant?

Thank you!

Though of that. Kind of nasty until it cures. And
I do want to be able to remove the exhaust line to
gully drain in the winter.

Me thinks I should use a wrench, but I did not want
to strip the plastic threads
Posted to alt.home.repair

T wrote:
[...]

I think somebody ****ed in his cheerios this morning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/23/2017 04:26 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

Is Plumber's Putty drinking water safe, or should you
only use it on waste water lines?

Many thanks,
-T

I just look it up. It stains and has metals and petroleum
in it. So, no.
Posted to alt.home.repair

T wrote:
[...]

You get tired of seeing people doing stupid stuff... BTW, "Yeah"
(slang for "yes") is spelled Y-e-a-h.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

T wrote:
[...]

If it is slang, I can spell it any way I want. That is why
it is called "slang"

You in a bad mood today? It happens. A cup of tea helps.
I wouldn't eat the cheerios.
Posted to alt.home.repair

T wrote:
[...]

I'm not in a bad mood. Since reading your post, I put a bit of plumber's
putty between my cheek and gums, and, though thirsty, I have been
enjoying psychedelic images. Good luck with your project!

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

T wrote:
[...]

Any dancing unicorns?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/17 6:26 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

Is Plumber's Putty drinking water safe, or should you
only use it on waste water lines?

Many thanks,
-T

It won't hold pressure according to this:
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/4-different-uses-for-plumbers-putty

I was going to use a very thin layer around the gasket on my
exhaust line of my swamp cooler, which is giving me a bad time with
a slow leak. My concern was if something toxic got mixed into
the water and then got blown all over the house.

Plumber's putty is/used to be a mix of raw linseed oil and calcium
carbonate. Both are edible if not yummy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/2017 7:26 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

Is Plumber's Putty drinking water safe, or should you
only use it on waste water lines?

Many thanks,
-T

It is safe for direct drinking water contact if it contains NSF
certification.

Plumbers putty contains various components some of which may not be
certified for food contact but could be used for things like drain seals
where water is disposed and not consumed.

It is not a dumb question as others have opined.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 8:35:18 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 5/23/2017 7:26 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

Is Plumber's Putty drinking water safe, or should you
only use it on waste water lines?

Many thanks,
-T

It is safe for direct drinking water contact if it contains NSF
certification.

Plumbers putty contains various components some of which may not be
certified for food contact but could be used for things like drain seals
where water is disposed and not consumed.

OP said he wants to use it on the exhaust line of a swamp cooler..

in which case the putty will probably be the safest thing in the water.

If it is in the "water" exit line, then it won't even get into the air.

I'd say you are overthinking this
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 May 2017 20:10:28 -0700, T wrote:

I think somebody ****ed in his cheerios this morning.

You get tired of seeing people doing stupid stuff... BTW, "Yeah"
(slang for "yes") is spelled Y-e-a-h.

Bill

If it is slang, I can spell it any way I want. That is why
it is called "slang"

Just because it's slang doesn't mean you can spell it any way you want. If you don't spell it "yeah" you are
wrong. OK?

You in a bad mood today? It happens. A cup of tea helps.
I wouldn't eat the cheerios.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/2017 7:26 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

Is Plumber's Putty drinking water safe, or should you
only use it on waste water lines?

Many thanks,
-T

It is safe for direct drinking water contact if it contains NSF
certification.

Plumbers putty contains various components some of which may not be
certified for food contact but could be used for things like drain seals
where water is disposed and not consumed.

OP said he wants to use it on the exhaust line of a swamp cooler..

in which case the putty will probably be the safest thing in the water.

If it is in the "water" exit line, then it won't even get into the air.

I'd say you are overthinking this

AGree, it's fine for that. At first I couldn't imagine what he was
going to use it for, because "plumbers putty" and "drinking water"
does not compute. But now that we know he drinks his swamp cooler
water, that explains everything.