Pool replastering DIY how-to guides?

Old June 18th 09, 10:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pool replastering DIY how-to guides?

I might try replasting our gunite pool myself. The cost of raw materials
for plaster is about the same as raw materials for high quality pool paint.
If I do an imperfect job at plaster, I figure will still be superior to a
good paint job. I found the following how-to guides. Amazingly there is
not a single book written on this subject (at least when I searched Amazon).
Are there any other good resources I should look at besides these links?

http://www.truetex.com/pool.htm

http://sgm.cc/download/installationm...amondBrite.pdf
http://sgm.cc/html/productorderpage.html (install guide video on CD)
http://www.mapei.it/referenze/Multim...ries_TD_EA.pdf

Old June 18th 09, 04:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"scorpionleather" wrote in message
I might try replasting our gunite pool myself. The cost of raw materials
for plaster is about the same as raw materials for high quality pool paint.
If I do an imperfect job at plaster, I figure will still be superior to a
good paint job. I found the following how-to guides. Amazingly there is
not a single book written on this subject (at least when I searched
Amazon). Are there any other good resources I should look at besides these
links?

http://www.truetex.com/pool.htm

http://sgm.cc/download/installationm...amondBrite.pdf
http://sgm.cc/html/productorderpage.html (install guide video on CD)
http://www.mapei.it/referenze/Multim...ries_TD_EA.pdf

Permit me to alert you to something before you start.
I drained my 20' X 40' gunite a few years ago to make some repairs.
Well, it was July and I didn't move very fast to do the work.
In a matter of just a few days I had a number of "bubbles" that were 18" or
more in diameter.
If any pressure was applied to them they would break up.
Ended up getting PebbleTec ($$$).
In short, gunite has to be repaired within a day or two and filled with
water to avoid my problems.
Check with Dolphin or Leslie's before you drain.
Good luck to you.
Dick in Dallas

Old June 18th 09, 06:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Dick Keats" wrote in message
Permit me to alert you to something before you start.
I drained my 20' X 40' gunite a few years ago to make some repairs.
Well, it was July and I didn't move very fast to do the work.
In a matter of just a few days I had a number of "bubbles" that were 18"
or more in diameter.
If any pressure was applied to them they would break up.
Ended up getting PebbleTec ($$$).
In short, gunite has to be repaired within a day or two and filled with
water to avoid my problems.
Check with Dolphin or Leslie's before you drain.
Good luck to you.
Dick in Dallas

Were the bubbles from the plaster layer? I've had the pool drained for a
couple weeks so far and the gunite seems to be holding up pretty well. I
need to peel off any of the loose plaster anyway. The plaster is so old, I
don't think ours has been replastered for 30 years, so whatever could wear
off has pretty much worn off by now. The rest needs a chisel.

Old June 18th 09, 08:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Dick Keats" wrote in message
[...]

Yes...bubbles were from the plaster layer.
Some were about 36" or more in diameter.
I didn't trust myself enough to replaster all the bad areas.
Plus the "cool crete" decking was screwed up.
Except for financially, I'm glad I let the professionals do the job.
Dick

Old June 18th 09, 08:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:55:47 -0500, "Dick Keats"
wrote:

Ended up getting PebbleTec ($$$)

Dick,

Care to share the age of the PebbleTec, pool size, issues since the
work and cost?

We have a local company that installs this finish, but they also
finish in plaster.

Old June 19th 09, 03:00 AM posted to alt.home.repair

I called a major pool plaster manufacturer to ask where I can buy the
plaster aggregate, and they got curious what kind of project I'm working on.
I explained that I'm going to replaster the pool as a DIY job with a friend
who professionally builds pools (just the two of us). Basically, it sounded
like he thought I'd be crazy to try it. He said I'd need at least a team of
5 people. You would've thought I asked him about performing brain surgery
on his dog with no experience.

Ok maybe plastering is challenging, but I doubt it's THAT hard. I have the
feeling that a certain amount of this attitude is to protect the industry
profitability in this secretive trade. I can't even figure out where to buy
plain white pool plaster. With the contracting industry in decline after
the housing crash the plasterers are probably guarding their methods and
materials even closer.

Old June 19th 09, 10:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 18:00:48 -0700, "scorpionleather"
wrote:

[...]

Richard said it in fewer words: http://www.truetex.com/pool.htm

They said it "couldn't be done".
They said it was a job for "professionals only".
They refused to sell me the "tools of the trade".
They said only licensed contractors are allowed to buy "that kind of
plaster".

But I had the Web.
I had Lowe's. I had Home Depot.
I had a wife and eight children to conscript.
I took the ultimate do-it-yourselfer's challenge.
Old June 19th 09, 11:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

My challenge now is to find a source of pool plaster.

I tried Diamond Brite. They are keeping their product restricted to the
trade inner circle.

The stuff that Richard used isn't being manufactured anymore. I sent an
email to Quikrete. They kindly responded, "The Quik Wall Surface Bonding
Cement is a qualified substitution for the Pool Finish."

However Richard says that Quik Wall may give a hairy surface since it has
glass fibers in it. Would that make much difference?

Is there another source for pool plaster that doesn't restrict their product
like plutonium or the secret formula to Coca Cola?

Old June 20th 09, 12:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:46:29 -0700, "scorpionleather"
wrote:

My challenge now is to find a source of pool plaster.

I tried Diamond Brite. They are keeping their product restricted to the
trade inner circle.

The stuff that Richard used isn't being manufactured anymore. I sent an
email to Quikrete. They kindly responded, "The Quik Wall Surface Bonding
Cement is a qualified substitution for the Pool Finish."

However Richard says that Quik Wall may give a hairy surface since it has
glass fibers in it. Would that make much difference?

Is there another source for pool plaster that doesn't restrict their product
like plutonium or the secret formula to Coca Cola?

Can't your "friend who professionally builds pools " give a clue??!

Old June 20th 09, 06:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
Can't your "friend who professionally builds pools " give a clue??!

My friend (the pool builder) stopped by today to actually take a look at the
pool in person. He said I should use epoxy paint and that would be best
after taking my budget into account. The pool is worn all the way down to
the gunite showing through and the epoxy will help to seal it water tight
including the hairline cracks. He was more concerned about some larger
cracks which I'm going to fill with Vulkem 116. It turns out that I can buy
all the raw materials through him, whether I need plaster or paint etc.
It's just interesting that the general public can't get pool plaster powder,
except for the really expensive pool patch material in small containers.