Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shower mixing valve problem??

I have a shower stall with a single control knob that controls on\off (pull
out for cold and push in for off) and hot\cold (left for hot, right for
cold). The temperature setting on the gas-fired water heater is on the
"normal" setting. Other faucets in the house seem to produce a lot hotter
water when they run with only hot turned on. For a year or two now I've had
to keep the combination hot\cold on\off handle almost all the way towards
hot to keep the shower hot enough for a decent shower. I finally removed
the round knob and the escutcheon plate to see what it looked like. There's
a very small retangular cutout in the tile and the only thing that's visible
are the two holes that mount the escutcheon plate. The diameter of the
place where the knob mounts is a little bigger than the diameter of a
nickel, and it appears to have what looks like the same type of fitting as
with a garden hose valve when you remove the wheel handle - it looks simply
an on\off function - I didn't seen anything that looks like other mixing
valves that I've seen in pictures - nothing that looks like any adjustment
screws or the like.

Is this a situation where I simple remove and replace what the control knob
attaches to? When I go looking for replacement parts, what's the proper
terminology?

If it's going to involve removing tile and all that, I can learn to live
with it.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 25, 10:36*am, "Whatever . ."
wrote:
[...]

Most fixture maker's customer service people will be able to supply
parts/installation diagrams. Start there to judge how to approach the
project. Depending on what you find, check out Harbor Freight for
diamond drills or hole saws you may need to open up the tiled area to
access a control mechanism. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
On May 25, 10:36 am, "Whatever . ."
wrote:
I have a shower stall with a single control knob that controls on\off
(pull
out for cold and push in for off) and hot\cold (left for hot, right for
cold). The temperature setting on the gas-fired water heater is on the
"normal" setting. Other faucets in the house seem to produce a lot hotter

Thanks!

Most fixture maker's customer service people will be able to supply
parts/installation diagrams. Start there to judge how to approach the
project. Depending on what you find, check out Harbor Freight for
diamond drills or hole saws you may need to open up the tiled area to
access a control mechanism. Good luck.

Joe

Unfortunately, there's no indication that I can see as far as the
manufacturer - the *&%2# that owned the house before me made the access area
so damm small . . .

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Whatever . ." wrote in message
[...]

*On my Kohler there is an adjustment on the right and on the left for each
water input. Opening and closing each one determines the water temp. I
expect that you have the same, but since the opening is so small you cannot
see them. You could try a RotoZip with a tile cutting bit to open it up
more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 10:36*am, "Whatever . ."
wrote:
[...]

I had that issue, it was some large grit blocking the HW, but mine had
a plastic cartrige that came off easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"Whatever . ." wrote in message
[...]

On the 2 Kohler different mixing valves I installed, the "adjustments" you
refer to on the left and right are merely shut-off valves, and are not used
for setting water temperature. Perhaps your Kohler valves work differently.