"shallow" utility sink?

Old May 24th 09, 08:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default "shallow" utility sink?

In the house Wife and I just bought, the previous owners configured
the laundry/heater room in such a strange way that the hookups for a
sink/utility tub are behind the door to the room. What this means is
there's only about 18" front to back depth in which to put a utility
sink/tub.

Anyone know of such a thing? A search of the usual home supply
suspects (big box stores, Northeast Plumbing Supply, etc.) turns up
nothing.

Or am I out of luck? 'Cause I really hate having to rinse out paint
brushes and the like in the kitchen sink or the downstairs bathroom...
Old May 24th 09, 08:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Kyle" wrote in message
In the house Wife and I just bought, the previous owners configured
the laundry/heater room in such a strange way that the hookups for a
sink/utility tub are behind the door to the room. What this means is
there's only about 18" front to back depth in which to put a utility
sink/tub.

Anyone know of such a thing? A search of the usual home supply
suspects (big box stores, Northeast Plumbing Supply, etc.) turns up
nothing.

Or am I out of luck? 'Cause I really hate having to rinse out paint
brushes and the like in the kitchen sink or the downstairs bathroom...

How about moving the pipes to a better location?

Old May 24th 09, 09:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 24, 12:52*pm, Kyle wrote:
In the house Wife and I just bought, the previous owners configured
the laundry/heater room in such a strange way that the hookups for a
sink/utility tub are behind the door to the room. What this means is
there's only about 18" front to back depth in which to put a utility
sink/tub.

Anyone know of such a thing? A search of the usual home supply
suspects (big box stores, Northeast Plumbing Supply, etc.) turns up
nothing.

Or am I out of luck? 'Cause I really hate having to rinse out paint
brushes and the like in the kitchen sink or the downstairs bathroom...

I'm not at home right now but I believe my porcelain over cast iron
laundry sink (ca 1930) is about that size.
The faucet is a wall mount & thus the space required for a sink deck
mount is saved.

You might be able to get a surplus one on Craigslist

This one might do the trick but I find the "specs" somewhat
contradictory....width is give by two different numbers

http://www.improvementdirect.com/ind...ELAID=99584853

Since the sink is fiberglass reinforced plastic, you could cut off the
back edge where the faucet mounts if necessary & go with a wall mount
faucet.

cheers
Bob
Old May 24th 09, 09:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 24, 3:52*pm, Kyle wrote:
In the house Wife and I just bought, the previous owners configured
the laundry/heater room in such a strange way that the hookups for a
sink/utility tub are behind the door to the room. What this means is
there's only about 18" front to back depth in which to put a utility
sink/tub.

Anyone know of such a thing? A search of the usual home supply
suspects (big box stores, Northeast Plumbing Supply, etc.) turns up
nothing.

Or am I out of luck? 'Cause I really hate having to rinse out paint
brushes and the like in the kitchen sink or the downstairs bathroom...

If you could change the swing of the door, that would probably be the
easiest thing to do...assuming that there is clearance.

Old May 24th 09, 10:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Kyle" wrote in message
In the house Wife and I just bought, the previous owners configured
the laundry/heater room in such a strange way that the hookups for a
sink/utility tub are behind the door to the room. What this means is
there's only about 18" front to back depth in which to put a utility
sink/tub.

Anyone know of such a thing? A search of the usual home supply
suspects (big box stores, Northeast Plumbing Supply, etc.) turns up
nothing.

Or am I out of luck? 'Cause I really hate having to rinse out paint
brushes and the like in the kitchen sink or the downstairs bathroom...

Expensive like every other boat fixture, but marine sinks are pretty small.
Do a google search for the same brand name and maybe you can find them
cheaper. West Marine is not known for bargains.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...7&classNum=298

http://preview.tinyurl.com/pcm9u2

Old May 24th 09, 10:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle wrote:
In the house Wife and I just bought, the previous owners configured
the laundry/heater room in such a strange way that the hookups for a
sink/utility tub are behind the door to the room. What this means is
there's only about 18" front to back depth in which to put a utility
sink/tub.

Anyone know of such a thing? A search of the usual home supply
suspects (big box stores, Northeast Plumbing Supply, etc.) turns up
nothing.

Or am I out of luck? 'Cause I really hate having to rinse out paint
brushes and the like in the kitchen sink or the downstairs bathroom...

Do you have room for a real sink, past the end of the opened door? If
so, I'd just build some shallow shelves, and hide extensions to the
plumbing inside them, and put the sink over a couple of 3 feet. Or like
the other guy said, move the existing pipes (assuming you have access to
to do that.)

Failing that, look for 'bar sink' or 'prep sink'. They make those in
stainless, for narrow counters. Faucet is usually on one end, rather
than the back edge. You'd have to knock together something presentable
to hold it, but that shouldn't be too hard.

A picture of the room would help us make better suggestions.

--
aem sends....
Old May 25th 09, 02:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair

The bar sink is exactly what we went with in our laundry room. It is a
trade off since it is small, but it gives us the sink we needed without
taking up the counter space we also wanted. In our case we still have the
old laundry area in the basement with a large double bowl 'stationary tub'
(I assume they call them this since they weigh a ton so they stay pretty
much stationary!) It handles the really messing stuff we might need and if
there is something that needs a cleaner environment and more space, the good
old bathtub handles the task!

You might also check out some of the options for bathroom vanities. There
are some fairly large sinks available these days that might fit and be
bigger than the bar sink option.

Old May 25th 09, 07:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

Kyle wrote:
[...]

aem sends....- Hide quoted text -

install a slop sink in garage...... a single bowl washtub.

end of problem for dirty jobs
Old May 25th 09, 08:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

Kyle wrote:
[...]

Good idea, if you live where garage never freezes. Around here it would
require an enclosure, even in an attached garage. (Think 'janitor
closet', extending within heated envelope of house, but still
maintaining firebreaks and such.) Of course, if cost is no object, may
as well put a toilet and shower stall out there while you are at it.
That has been on the spec sheet for my 'when I win the Lotto' dream
house, all along.

--
aem sends...
Old May 26th 09, 05:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 24, 3:52*pm, Kyle wrote:
In the house Wife and I just bought, the previous owners configured
the laundry/heater room in such a strange way that the hookups for a
sink/utility tub are behind the door to the room. What this means is
there's only about 18" front to back depth in which to put a utility
sink/tub.

Anyone know of such a thing? A search of the usual home supply
suspects (big box stores, Northeast Plumbing Supply, etc.) turns up
nothing.

Or am I out of luck? 'Cause I really hate having to rinse out paint
brushes and the like in the kitchen sink or the downstairs bathroom...

Thanks to JoeSpareBedroom and a few others, I realize I was not clear
in my explanation of my need. For one thing, "shallow" refers to the
front-to-back dimension of the sink, not depth of the sink bowl. There
isn't really anywhere to move the existing hookups, which are on a wet
wall shared with a bathroom. For one thing, the only real available
walls are block - this is the lower level of a bi-level and the wall
are block up to about 4' and then drywall over stud (and outside walls
to boot).

For those asking for layout to offer moving options, I have created a
rough, not-to-scale sketch (thanks to MS Paint) which I've posted at
http://yfrog.com/11laundryroomp

As you can see in the sketch, we're constrained by the HVAC and water
heater that can't be moved, and the doors that have to be dealt with -
both the two doors into the room (garage on left, family room on
right) and the doors to the washer, dryer, and upright freezer.

The hook-ups behind the one door are already there, so if there's a
sink that would fit, that would be the least-difficult option. While
not perfect, it would be better (I hope) than nothing.

Thanks for all help and suggestions!