Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door Opener problem

James wrote:
This is a Craftsman unit, about 12 years old. It uses the chain, but
has worked fine.

Today, the door would not go up and down. The unit buzzes (loud)
like the motor is trying to run, but the chain does not move. Can
unhook the door from the chain, and run it up and down manually, but
the drive motor seems to be buzzing and not functioning properly.

Is the a home repair, or more likely a worn out unit needing
replacing ?

Thanks

James

This model may have nylon gears - and they often get stripped. A new set of
gears is cheap and easy for the homeowner to replace.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Totally off the mechanical subject, but wanted to add that my unit stopped
working and didn't respond to the remotes or hardwired pushbutton. This one is
similar to the Craftsman but sold under a different name.

I pulled the electronics out and on the PCB found FOUR cold solder joints (and a
couple more that i didn't quite like the looks of.) Resoldered all the joints
and it works like a charm.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Sooperdave wrote:
Totally off the mechanical subject, but wanted to add that my unit stopped
working and didn't respond to the remotes or hardwired pushbutton. This one is
similar to the Craftsman but sold under a different name.

I pulled the electronics out and on the PCB found FOUR cold solder joints (and a
couple more that i didn't quite like the looks of.) Resoldered all the joints
and it works like a charm.

Most of the problems I come across when repairing
electronic equipment has to do with cold solder
joints. It's amazing how much good stuff people
discard in the trash that has little or nothing
wrong with it. I've see many expensive control
circuit boards thrown away that had a simple to
repair bad connection.

TDD
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 May 2009 09:35:06 -0500, Sooperdave
wrote:

Totally off the mechanical subject, but wanted to add that my unit stopped
working and didn't respond to the remotes or hardwired pushbutton. This one is
similar to the Craftsman but sold under a different name.

I pulled the electronics out and on the PCB found FOUR cold solder joints (and a
couple more that i didn't quite like the looks of.) Resoldered all the joints
and it works like a charm.

I had exactly the same problem with one of mine too... A bunch of bad
solder joints that made the thing fail after a few months in service.
Again, that is what comes from buying the cheapest imported crap from
China that there is. Next time, I'll look for American made--could not
find any last time, but maybe next time someone will have started
making a quality unit here.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On May 19, 9:22*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
James wrote:
This is a Craftsman unit, about 12 years old. *It uses the chain, but
has worked fine.

Today, the door would not go up and down. *The unit buzzes (loud)
like the motor is trying to run, but the chain does not move. * *Can
unhook the door from the chain, and run it up and down manually, but
the drive motor seems to be buzzing and not functioning properly.

Is the a home repair, or more likely a worn out unit needing
replacing ?

Thanks

James

This model may have nylon gears - and they often get stripped. A new set of
gears is cheap and easy for the homeowner to replace.

Heybub is the winner...to the point and nearly precise! I am a
mechanic (almost) and this is NOT the easiest job.
I think the gear set was 20 or $25.
And Sears' openers are Chamberlain...and NOT a crappy opener!