Posted to alt.home.repair

Default If gluttony is a sin...

....then why are there so many fat Christians?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 8:36:11 PM UTC-6, Max wrote:
...then why are there so many fat Christians?

Catholics are fat because they consumed the body of Christ. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Heretic Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 21:35:23 -0600, Max wrote:

...then why are there so many fat Christians?

Why are we supposed to care?
I sure dont!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/09/2016 09:14 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 8:36:11 PM UTC-6, Max wrote:
...then why are there so many fat Christians?

Catholics are fat because they consumed the body of Christ. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Heretic Monster

Ain't nothing fatter than a baptist preacher. Most have 2 or 3 chins.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Max:
...then why are there so many fat Christians?

Easy:

- AFIK, one of the tenants of xianity is that
everybody is a sinner. The thing is to own up to
it, be forgiven, and try not to do it again.

- One does not have to be a glutton to become obese.
A hundred excess calories a day (i.e. one medium-sized
apple) comes out to 3,650 excess calories per year,
and that's a pound of fat.... 20 years, 30 years...
couple hundred calories instead of 100....

- Perhaps the most important: the proportion of sugar
in one's diet. We did not evolve to consume large
quantities of sugar. Sugar used to be protected
by bees... Now it's everywhere and it tastes
*really* good.... read "Fat Chance" by Robert Lustig.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/10/2016 5:20 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Max:
...then why are there so many fat Christians?

Easy:

- AFIK, one of the tenants of xianity is that
everybody is a sinner. The thing is to own up to
it, be forgiven, and try not to do it again.

And, when you *do* end up "doing it again", it's OK...
as long as you embrace the fact that you've sinned! :

- One does not have to be a glutton to become obese.
A hundred excess calories a day (i.e. one medium-sized
apple) comes out to 3,650 excess calories per year,
and that's a pound of fat.... 20 years, 30 years...
couple hundred calories instead of 100....

Check your math, Pete. : A surplus of *10* calories
translates to a pound per year. To give you an idea of how
little that is: one "LifeSaver" is 10 calories!

Said another way, "you couldn't deprive yourself of ONE LIFESAVER
to avoid putting on those 10 pounds every 10 years?"

- Perhaps the most important: the proportion of sugar
in one's diet. We did not evolve to consume large
quantities of sugar. Sugar used to be protected
by bees... Now it's everywhere and it tastes
*really* good.... read "Fat Chance" by Robert Lustig.

Somewhere along the line, I read a discussion of fat and
sugar in our diets -- in evolutionary terms. Both were
relatively hard to acquire (fat from very select vegetables and/or
meat; sugar from honey and fruit).

As a result, our bodies don't know how to handle them, well.

Put *both* of them into a "food" and body thinks it's XMAS! :

(sugar + fat = baked goods!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 07:20:46 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

- AFIK, one of the tenants of xianity is that
everybody is a sinner. The thing is to own up to
it, be forgiven, and try not to do it again.

In that case, I'm an exception. I've never done any sins in my whole
life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/09/2016 10:14 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 8:36:11 PM UTC-6, Max wrote:
...then why are there so many fat Christians?

Catholics are fat because they consumed the body of Christ. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Heretic Monster

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

In religious sto "If you're interested in life after death, try
robbing this store."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/09/2016 10:14 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 8:36:11 PM UTC-6, Max wrote:
...then why are there so many fat Christians?

Catholics are fat because they consumed the body of Christ. ^_^

I always wondered why they seemed to be promoting cannibalism.

BTW, Of course it isn't REALLY cannibalism, but they seem to think it
is. Just like they accept the rest of the bull****.

[8~{} Uncle Heretic Monster

--
"Why doesn't DOS ever say "EXCELLENT command or filename?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 09:18:55 -0800 (PST), bob_villain
wrote:

wrote:

- AFIK, one of the tenants of xianity is that
everybody is a sinner. The thing is to own up to
it, be forgiven, and try not to do it again.

In that case, I'm an exception. I've never done any sins in my whole
life.

"Sin" is commonly defined only in reference to a particular imaginary
being. This being shows no sign of existence, other than as part of
certain belief systems. Only believers can sin, since the word is
undefined for others.

You can also "do wrong" to your yourself or others...it doesn't require your
"belief system" theory.

I never said I have not done wrong. I just never sinned, because in my
world, I can do wrong, or could even do a crime, but I dont believe in
religion, so the word "sin" dont exist for me. It's just a matter of
wording. But everything has words specific to whatever they do. Home
repair has words that are unknown to others. Such as underlayment.
Medical people have lots of those words, and computer words mean nothing
to people who dont use computers. Religion has the word "sin" and a lot
of other words that are only for that religion. And different religions
have different words, for example, for a Christian it's a "bible", but
for Jews, or Muslims, there are other words, for a similar but different
book.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 6:53:58 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 09:18:55 -0800 (PST), bob_villain

You can also "do wrong" to yourself or others...it doesn't require your
"belief system" theory.

I never said I have not done wrong. I just never sinned, because in my
world, I can do wrong, or could even do a crime, but I dont believe in
religion, so the word "sin" don't exist for me.

snipped

Obviously you believe in religion...but not the supreme being part.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 17:15:28 -0800 (PST), bob_villain
wrote:

On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 6:53:58 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 09:18:55 -0800 (PST), bob_villain

You can also "do wrong" to yourself or others...it doesn't require your
"belief system" theory.

I never said I have not done wrong. I just never sinned, because in my
world, I can do wrong, or could even do a crime, but I dont believe in
religion, so the word "sin" don't exist for me.

snipped

Obviously you believe in religion...but not the supreme being part.

I believe religion exists.... but that dont take any "belief", with
churches everywhere. Religion EXISTS! But I dont believe in what they
do....

As for a Supreme Being, I wont say I believe or disbelieve. There's no
proof either way. Going to some building with a steeple every Sunday is
not going to change that!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/10/2016 11:18 AM, bob_villain wrote:

[snip]

"Sin" is commonly defined only in reference to a particular imaginary
being. This being shows no sign of existence, other than as part of
certain belief systems. Only believers can sin, since the word is
undefined for others.

You can also "do wrong" to your yourself or others...it doesn't require your "belief system" theory.

Of course there's "do wrong". Do you consider "sin" to mean "Do wrong"?
Many do not. I said nothing about doing wrong, but about one particular
definition of "sin", which doesn't correspond to anything in the real world.

--
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate
because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/11/2016 5:11 PM, notX wrote:
On 03/10/2016 11:18 AM, bob_villain wrote:

[snip]

"Sin" is commonly defined only in reference to a particular imaginary
being. This being shows no sign of existence, other than as part of
certain belief systems. Only believers can sin, since the word is
undefined for others.

You can also "do wrong" to your yourself or others...it doesn't require your
"belief system" theory.

Of course there's "do wrong". Do you consider "sin" to mean "Do wrong"? Many do
not. I said nothing about doing wrong, but about one particular definition of
"sin", which doesn't correspond to anything in the real world.

Obviously, my saying "Christ!" is a sin! I'm not sure how "wrong" it is,
though... And, the mere *idea* of drooling over my neighbor's new car,
young wife, etc.

OTOH, the Catholic church seems to think it's OK for pedophile priests
to continue to serve -- I guess as long as they are SORRY for what they've
done (and TRY not to do it, again... lest they have to be relocated YET AGAIN!)