Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Green Patina on Copper.

Does anybody have experiance greening Copper and greening Copper
paint. Muriatic and other acids are used as I have read. www.modernmasters.com
has a system but its very expensive and I want to do large items,
although it seems to be relatively safe on lungs. Muriatic fumes,
runs, spots and ruins my sprayers. I was thinking of a thick acid base
toilet cleaner that will stick. [right now im hacking from Muriatic
fumes] . I am trying now to get a green patina on copper paint I have
sprayed. Any ideas that work and are easy and safe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 11:32*am, ransley wrote:
Does anybody have experiance greening Copper and greening Copper
paint. Muriatic and other acids are used as I have read.www.modernmasters..com
has a system but its very expensive and I want to do large items,
although it seems to be relatively safe on lungs. Muriatic fumes,
runs, spots and ruins my sprayers. I was thinking of a thick acid base
toilet cleaner that will stick. [right now im hacking from Muriatic
fumes] . I am trying now to get a green patina on copper paint I have
sprayed. Any ideas that work and are easy and safe.

I ran across this - should help.

"I was just looking for copper patina recipe and was to DIY site and
found the complete recipe (with amounts) on David Marks workshop.
Copper Patina Mixture Following is the list of ingredients and
procedures for the copper-patina solution provided by David Marks.
Safety Alert: The copper patina solution is toxic. Follow safety
precautions, and always wear protective gloves when working with wood
stains, solvents and other toxic chemicals.

Ingredients:
Ammonium chloride, 1/2 ounce
Copper sulfate, 1/2 ounce
Household salt, 1/4 ounce
Hot water, 8 ounces
Zinc chloride, 1/16 ounce
Sawdust, 1/2-dozen handfuls, or enough to cover the copper surface of
the project. Acetic Acid or vinegar, 1/8 ounce

Mixture and application:

Always add the chemicals to the water. Never add the water to the
chemicals. Stir chemicals and water until everything has dissolved.
Use a spray bottlewith water and dampen sawdust. Then mix the chemical
solution into the sawdust (figure A). Save about 15 to 20 percent of
the solution (to drip on and apply later). Spray water onto copper,
press sawdust onto surface, wrap with cheesecloth, spray with water so
that the cheesecloth and sawdust cling to the copper (figure B). Drip
remaining chemical solution onto cheesecloth and sawdust and copper.
Wrap with 4 mil plastic sheets (figure C). Seal with duct tape and set
aside for three weeks. After three weeks, unwrap (figure D). Use water
and an old brush to gently remove the crusty sawdust (figure E). Let
the sun dry the copper surface (figure F). Finally, dab micro-
crystalline wax onto surface (figure G) and let dry. Hope this
helps.... there are pictures on site too if you want to see the
process.
http://www.diynet.com/DIY/article/0,2058,8966,00.html

And some other recipes and info:
http://www.sciencecompany.com/patina...naformulas.htm
http://www.sewanee.edu/chem/chem&art...than/index.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 10:42*am, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

And some other recipes and info:http://www.sciencecompany.com/patina...cts_2005/Latha...

Thanks. Im thinking of doing a big garage door and wrought iron storm-
securty doors, planters etc. That Modern Masters site shows large high
buck projects in Vegas that look great. But with experimenting it
could all look like crap when im done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 10:32*am, ransley wrote:
Does anybody have experiance greening Copper and greening Copper
paint. Muriatic and other acids are used as I have read.www.modernmasters..com
has a system but its very expensive and I want to do large items,
although it seems to be relatively safe on lungs. Muriatic fumes,
runs, spots and ruins my sprayers. I was thinking of a thick acid base
toilet cleaner that will stick. [right now im hacking from Muriatic
fumes] . I am trying now to get a green patina on copper paint I have
sprayed. Any ideas that work and are easy and safe.

Straight copper sulfate solution should do the job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 11:15*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2009 08:42:44 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

wrote:
[...]

http://www.sewanee.edu/chem/chem&art...cts_2005/Latha...

Jesus Christ, get a can of green spray paint for a dollar at Walmart
and ten minutes later you'll have green copper, and you will still be
able to breathe, and wont be filling the environment with tons of
toxins aside from the propellant in the can of spray paint.

Better yet, use the no cost, no pollution method. *DO NOTHING.
In a year or so, nature will do it for you.- Hide quoted text -

You dont know copper, maybe in 20-30 yrs it goes green, in the desert
type invironments, maybe never. Green paint is green paint, some use
it on their brown lawn, do you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

ransley wrote in
:

Does anybody have experiance greening Copper and greening Copper
paint. Muriatic and other acids are used as I have read.
www.modernmasters.com has a system but its very expensive and I want
to do large items, although it seems to be relatively safe on lungs.
Muriatic fumes, runs, spots and ruins my sprayers. I was thinking of a
thick acid base toilet cleaner that will stick. [right now im hacking
from Muriatic fumes] . I am trying now to get a green patina on copper
paint I have sprayed. Any ideas that work and are easy and safe.

I have not yet seen it mentioned that the green patina on the copper is
poisonous. just a remark.

--
Best regards
Han