Siphon Jet clogged? - Toilet

Old May 6th 09, 07:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Siphon Jet clogged? - Toilet

Hello,

Last night our toilet suddenly stopped emptying the bowl upon flushing. If
I pour several gallons down the bowl from a jug it will empty just fine,
so it's not a drain clog. I checked all the siphon holes around the rim
and they are all fine. Also, this happened overnight rather than a slow
buildup, so I seem to be left with the conclusion that something must have
fallen into the siphon jet somehow and gotten trapped in there.

Is that an accurate assumption? If so, what would be the solution to
remove the object? I already fished around inside the siphon jet hole with
a coat hanger to no avail.

My wife says she's not missing any jewelry, so I can't for the life of me
figure out what might be in there! =P

-------------------------------------

Old May 6th 09, 04:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 06 May 2009 05:49:33 GMT,
(jcseely) wrote:

Hello,

Last night our toilet suddenly stopped emptying the bowl upon flushing. If
I pour several gallons down the bowl from a jug it will empty just fine,
so it's not a drain clog. I checked all the siphon holes around the rim
and they are all fine. Also, this happened overnight rather than a slow
buildup, so I seem to be left with the conclusion that something must have
fallen into the siphon jet somehow and gotten trapped in there.

Is that an accurate assumption? If so, what would be the solution to
remove the object? I already fished around inside the siphon jet hole with
a coat hanger to no avail.

My wife says she's not missing any jewelry, so I can't for the life of me
figure out what might be in there! =P

-------------------------------------

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see anything that says you
tried using a common plunger. That should be the first thing to try.
BTW the holes around the rim are not siphon jet technology,
they are just down wash to clean the sides of the bowl. They can
become clogged reducing the efficiency of the unit however.
Old May 6th 09, 06:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

jcseely had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...et-371659-.htm
:
Ah yes, sorry I forgot to mention that. I've tried plunging it half a
dozen times or more, each time doing about 15-20 plunges, and nothing. But
when pouring a bucketfull of water into the bowl it 'flushes' just fine,
so wouldn't that rule out a clog in the drain?

Old May 6th 09, 06:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

jcseely wrote:
Hello,

Last night our toilet suddenly stopped emptying the bowl upon flushing. If
I pour several gallons down the bowl from a jug it will empty just fine,
so it's not a drain clog. I checked all the siphon holes around the rim
and they are all fine. Also, this happened overnight rather than a slow
buildup, so I seem to be left with the conclusion that something must have
fallen into the siphon jet somehow and gotten trapped in there.

Is that an accurate assumption? If so, what would be the solution to
remove the object? I already fished around inside the siphon jet hole with
a coat hanger to no avail.

My wife says she's not missing any jewelry, so I can't for the life of me
figure out what might be in there! =P

-------------------------------------

Did you take the lid off the tank and make sure that the thin rubber hose that
enables water to pour into the overflow pipe when you flush has not become
disconnected at the base of the flush valve assembly, or that the clamp holding
the rigid U arm directing the water from the thin rubber hose into the overflow
pipe did not fall off the edge of the overflow pipe? I've had both situations
happen and it leads to a major loss of flush strength.
Old May 6th 09, 07:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Take the lid off and watch what happens when you flush.

Is the tank filled to the proper level before you start?
How far down does it go when you flush?
Is the flapper falling prematurely (sinking)?
If so, does holding down the lever make it flush properly?

(Assuming a "standard" toilet.)
Old May 6th 09, 07:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

jcseely had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...et-371680-.htm
:

Larry The Snake Guy wrote:

Take the lid off and watch what happens when you flush.

Is the tank filled to the proper level before you start?
How far down does it go when you flush?
Is the flapper falling prematurely (sinking)?
If so, does holding down the lever make it flush properly?

(Assuming a "standard" toilet.)

-------------------------------------

Yes all of this looks normal. The rubber hose is attached and stil clamped
securely, the water level in the tank is normal and the flapper is working
correctly.

When I flush, the water level does not go down at all. It rises about an
inch or so and then returns to normal near the end of the flush. Also,
there is a kind of squirting sound coming from the bowl during the flush
that was not present until this problem arose.

Old May 6th 09, 09:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Joe

On May 6, 12:26*pm, (jcseely)
wrote:
jcseely had written this in response tohttp://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Siphon-Jet-clogged-Toi...
*:

Larry The Snake Guy wrote:

Take the lid off and watch what happens when you flush.
Is the tank filled to the proper level before you start?
How far down does it go when you flush?
Is the flapper falling prematurely (sinking)?
If so, does holding down the lever make it flush properly?
(Assuming a "standard" toilet.)

-------------------------------------

Yes all of this looks normal. The rubber hose is attached and stil clamped
securely, the water level in the tank is normal and the flapper is working
correctly.

When I flush, the water level does not go down at all. It rises about an
inch or so and then returns to normal near the end of the flush. Also,
there is a kind of squirting sound coming from the bowl during the flush
that was not present until this problem arose.

snip

I could be wrong, but this might be a venting problem in the stack.
Bird nest, debris, whatever. Easy to check.

Joe
Old May 6th 09, 10:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 6, 3:37�pm, Joe wrote:
On May 6, 12:26�pm, (jcseely)
wrote:

jcseely had written this in response tohttp://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Siphon-Jet-clogged-Toi...
�:

Larry The Snake Guy wrote:

[...]

Joe- Hide quoted text -

You know everything works till it breaks

So it may of been in trouble for a long time till it just quit.

Is the OP using the blue toilet cleaning stuff in this unit?

Its well known for causing sludge buildup, and poor flushing.

Put some food coloring down the dip tube and flush. Does it come out
good all the way around the bowl?

or just see color near the back?

Old May 6th 09, 11:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Larry The Snake Guy wrote:

Take the lid off and watch what happens when you flush.

Is the tank filled to the proper level before you start?
How far down does it go when you flush?
Is the flapper falling prematurely (sinking)?
If so, does holding down the lever make it flush properly?

(Assuming a "standard" toilet.)

-------------------------------------

Yes all of this looks normal. The rubber hose is attached and stil
clamped securely, the water level in the tank is normal and the
flapper is working correctly.

When I flush, the water level does not go down at all. It rises about
an inch or so and then returns to normal near the end of the flush.
Also, there is a kind of squirting sound coming from the bowl during
the flush that was not present until this problem arose.

Ah, so the water in the tank does not make it to the bowl?

If that's the case, then there's an obstruction between the tank and the
bowl, probably at the little hole in the bottom of the bowl where the water
from the tank exits.

Try poking around there - the small hole. Or from the top. Something is
clogging it up.

I suspect a frog.

Old May 7th 09, 02:51 AM posted to alt.home.repair

jcseely had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...et-371712-.htm
:
"I could be wrong, but this might be a venting problem in the stack.
Bird nest, debris, whatever."

That's a great idea, I didn't think of that. It's a condo so I'll have to
call our association to have them come out and check the vent pipe. This
could be why the solution has been so elusive.

"Is the OP using the blue toilet cleaning stuff in this unit?
Put some food coloring down the dip tube and flush. Does it come out
good all the way around the bowl?"

Nope no blue stuff, and I tried the food coloring. No leakage. That's why
this has gotten me so stumped, everything seems to be working in good
order except that the water just doesn't evacuate from the bowl properly.
Vent stack could be the culprit; unfortunately our condo association isn't
the fastest in responding to maintenance issues.

To the previous poster: the water does actually make it into the bowl upon
flushing. There's just a lack of pressure during the bowl evacuation phase
which is causing the problem.

Toilet siphon sizes blackbat UK diy 0 April 28th 07 01:50 PM
Clearing Toilet Siphon Jet Passageway Chuck Home Repair 5 November 29th 06 05:30 PM
too much toilet siphon [email protected] Home Repair 5 June 11th 06 08:35 PM
Toilet siphon ron UK diy 1 May 18th 06 02:07 PM
Toilet Cistern Siphon not working zzapper UK diy 11 June 21st 04 06:39 PM