Posted to alt.home.repair

Default entry door

I'm considering replacing my entry door. Looking at the Andersen brand at
HD.

Are the fiberglass doors, which are somewhat cheaper, any good? Or should I
stay with a wood door?

Can fiberglass be painted?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 1, 9:34*am, "trailer" wrote:
I'm considering replacing my entry door. *Looking at the Andersen brand at
HD.

Are the fiberglass doors, which are somewhat cheaper, any good? *Or should I
stay with a wood door?

Can fiberglass be painted?

Thanks.

Andersen is quality, Im looking at fiberglass cheap ones. Wood looks
better but needs maintenance every few years, and that is alot of work
to do it right. Metal dents and transfers in cold. You can paint or
stain fiberglass, paint would last, clearcoats dont in sun.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 1, 9:34*am, "trailer" wrote:
I'm considering replacing my entry door. *Looking at the Andersen brand at
HD.

Are the fiberglass doors, which are somewhat cheaper, any good? *Or should I
stay with a wood door?

Can fiberglass be painted?

Thanks.

We installed a ThermaTrue fiberglass a few months ago. This is an
outward opening door, hence little protection from the elements. Not
cheap, but very well constructed. Too busy to paint it yet, maybe a
report on that later. The company seems to have a of positive comments
in this NG and trade publications. Maybe specializing in doors gives
them an advantage. IIRC, it is one of the larger companies in the
business. We used a local lumber yard for our supplier, but checked
out Pella and others before committing. HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 1, 11:40*am, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
trailer wrote:
I'm considering replacing my entry door. *Looking at the Andersen brand at
HD.

Are the fiberglass doors, which are somewhat cheaper, any good? *Or should I
stay with a wood door?

Can fiberglass be painted?

Thanks.

I just replace mine with a $37.00 cardboard door. Looks nice all painted
and sealed. Looks like wood grain and the storm door will protect it
from the weather. If somebody wants to break in, a steel door won't stop
them.

37 thats cheap for cardboard, must be Chinese cardboard

Child door locks for entry door crust Home Repair 8 June 30th 08 06:04 PM
entry door backset cj Home Repair 3 January 6th 08 11:02 PM
Door Entry System - Aluminium Door John UK diy 8 October 30th 07 10:04 PM
Entry Door Charles Bishop Home Repair 4 May 12th 07 05:31 AM
entry door Tony Pacc Home Repair 3 July 28th 06 07:42 PM