Posted to alt.home.repair
PRW PRW is offline

Default Moisture coming out of window air conditioner's vents

We have a window air conditioning unit in one of our windows. It is
mounted tilting downward, which is supposed to ensure that the
moisture produced by the cooling process flows out the back of the
unit. However, since we got this unit about a year and a half ago
(it's out of warranty), and it's doing it again now that we've turned
it on for a few hours, the moisture just pours out of the vents.

When you look inside the vents from the inside, you see a styrofoam
area with an opening in the middle where you can see the fan in the
air conditioning unit. Looking at the unit from the back, from
outside, the styrofoam part is closed off from the working parts of
the air conditioning unit and the back grille.

When the unit is operating, you can sit there and see an enormous
amount of water pool up inside the grilles around the styrofoam area,
I mean an enormous amount. It doesn't appear to have any outlet to run
back to the back of the unit, it certainly doesn't appear to be
running down into the opening to the fan area. It just pools up and
blows out the vent grilles. You can literally hear the thing sloshing.

We have tried everything and it's impossible to mount this unit tilted
any more downward at the back ... you can see the downward slant in
the styrofoam area ... but it continues to blow water out of the
grille to where we have to keep towels on the floor in front of it.
I've even thought of punching holes in the styrofoam to see if that
might help the water stop pooling up in the area around the vents.

Does anyone know what might be going on here, or have any suggestions
for what we might could do to fix this. It's a great air conditioning
unit as far as cooling the small area we use it for, but we're getting
tired of having to clean up water from it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you are sure that it is tilted to drain out, you must have a
blocked passage that leads to the out side. Remove the outside cover
and clean it out.

Hank

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is normal for the water to pool up inside the unit. This is part of
the operation. It does not need to drain. It should say in your manual
it is normal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 10:51*pm, PRW wrote:
[...]

Is it super humid out, maybe its low on freon
Posted to alt.home.repair

PRW wrote:
[...]

There if often SOME water. The machine slings the condensate against the
condensing coil to further cool it, thereby gaining efficiency. There
should, I would think, be an overflow drain so that all the humidity removed
from your room doesn't flood back in.

I suspect a clogged overflow drain.

See if you can find an exploded drawing of the unit on the web.

I'm also suspicious of the hunk of styrofoam. Are you sure its not part of
the original packing material? That is, does it come out?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 6:40*am, Mike rock wrote:
It is normal for the water to pool up inside the unit. This is part of
the operation. It does not need to drain. It should say in your manual
it is normal.

In some units the water collects to wet the condenser coil and improve
efficency of the unit. There is a valve on these types that opens if
too much water is collected. This valve may be clogged with dirt or
otherwise defective.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 6:40�am, Mike rock wrote:
It is normal for the water to pool up inside the unit. This is part of
the operation. It does not need to drain. It should say in your manual
it is normal.

It is NOT normal for moisture to "pour" out the vents. I don't think
the manual will say that it is. Show me.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
snipped

I'm also suspicious of the hunk of styrofoam. Are you sure its not part of
the original packing material? That is, does it come out?

THAT sure seems logical.
Perhaps the OP can find the installation manual.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Text inserted after my initials....

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"PRW" wrote in message
We have a window air conditioning unit in one of our
windows. It is
mounted tilting downward, which is supposed to ensure that
the
moisture produced by the cooling process flows out the back
of the
unit.

CY: Tilted down and back is good.

However, since we got this unit about a year and a half ago
(it's out of warranty), and it's doing it again now that
we've turned
it on for a few hours, the moisture just pours out of the
vents.

CY: Not good!

When you look inside the vents from the inside, you see a
styrofoam
area with an opening in the middle where you can see the fan
in the
air conditioning unit.

CY: Yes, many AC use styrofoam to surround the fan, and
direct the air flow.

Looking at the unit from the back, from
outside, the styrofoam part is closed off from the working
parts of
the air conditioning unit and the back grille.

CY: Right.

When the unit is operating, you can sit there and see an
enormous
amount of water pool up inside the grilles around the
styrofoam area,
I mean an enormous amount. It doesn't appear to have any
outlet to run
back to the back of the unit, it certainly doesn't appear to
be
running down into the opening to the fan area. It just pools
up and
blows out the vent grilles. You can literally hear the thing
sloshing.

CY: There is supposed to be a drain, that allows the water
to go to the back. The drain is clogged. Different AC have
different designs. You'll have to be creative. Pull off the
decorative face plate from the indoors side of the AC. Try
taking a long wire (electrical ground wire out of Romex is
my favorite). Poke around where the water is pooled up, and
try to find where the water drains to the back. Sometimes
you can clear the dirt and junk out of the drain. Sometimes
a garden sprayer full of water helps you blast the drain
clear.

We have tried everything and it's impossible to mount this
unit tilted
any more downward at the back ... you can see the downward
slant in
the styrofoam area ... but it continues to blow water out of
the
grille to where we have to keep towels on the floor in front
of it.
I've even thought of punching holes in the styrofoam to see
if that
might help the water stop pooling up in the area around the
vents.

CY: Should be a drain already. Just a question of finding
it, and blasting it clear.

Does anyone know what might be going on here, or have any
suggestions
for what we might could do to fix this. It's a great air
conditioning
unit as far as cooling the small area we use it for, but
we're getting
tired of having to clean up water from it.

CY: Look for, and clear the drain. Sometimes a stream of
water from a garden sprayer will help blast the drain clear.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's often easier to find and clear the drain by removing
the cover. Take the AC out of the window, carry it outdoors.
Take the plastic decorative plate off, and remove about 20
screws, that hold the metal cover (and accordian sides).
With the main metal cover, it's much easier to find the
drain.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Hustlin' Hank" wrote in message
If you are sure that it is tilted to drain out, you must
have a
blocked passage that leads to the out side. Remove the
outside cover
and clean it out.

Hank

Posted to alt.home.repair

The OP is describing water coming into the house. Sounds
like a clogged drain, and sounds like the styrofoam is part
of the intended design.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

There if often SOME water. The machine slings the condensate
against the
condensing coil to further cool it, thereby gaining
efficiency. There
should, I would think, be an overflow drain so that all the
humidity removed
from your room doesn't flood back in.

I suspect a clogged overflow drain.

See if you can find an exploded drawing of the unit on the
web.

I'm also suspicious of the hunk of styrofoam. Are you sure
its not part of
the original packing material? That is, does it come out?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 10:51*pm, PRW wrote:
[...]

At the back of the evaporator housing , there is a small drain channel
which may have gotton blocked with debris over the years. Further, the
evaporator fins may be quite dirty where the condensate wont trickle
down the fins by gravity too well and instead is being blown off into
the room. Finally, I would take the a/c unit outside, unscrew the
chassis and remove it, then thoroughly wash the inside of the a/c
with spray detergent folllowed by water from a hose . Take care not to
spray the electrical directly, and, dry down the unit before
restarting it. While its opened up, spray a good amount of water
thru the fins of the evaporator and condensor from both sides. If
there is a place to oil the evaporator and condensor fan motors, then
put 5 drops into each oil spout/bearing hole located on the ends of
the motor. Reinstall the a/c tilting it outward by at least a 1/4"
from level. Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If it's making water it sure has Freon. Your comment indicates
you don't know much about refrigeration. The moisture being
produced needs a path to allow excess water to get to the bottom
tray/pan. Something is blocked.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"ransley" wrote in message
On Apr 27, 10:51 pm, PRW wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message

I'm also suspicious of the hunk of styrofoam. Are you sure its not part of
the original packing material? That is, does it come out?

The fan housings, scroll plates and drain pans are often made of molded
foam. Trust, me, our company made hundreds of thousands of them, some gray,
some white. .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 10:51 pm, PRW wrote:

We have tried everything and it's impossible to mount this unit tilted
any more downward at the back ... you can see the downward slant in
the styrofoam area ... but it continues to blow water out of the
grille to where we have to keep towels on the floor in front of it.
I've even thought of punching holes in the styrofoam to see if that
might help the water stop pooling up in the area around the vents.

Does anyone know what might be going on here, or have any suggestions
for what we might could do to fix this.

Do not poke any holes in the foam.

I'd put money on a clogged drain. Most units have a sheet metal wrapper
around them. The workings are mounted on a steel plate that is the chassis
and the cover is held on with a bunch of screws. Unless you can see in
from the side you will have to remove the wrapper, find the drain tube or
opening, clear it and re-assemble. Time consuming, but no special skills
needed. The evaporator coil (the inside one) is probably sitting on a foam
tray and the water drains to the rear either through a piece of plastic
tubing or a groove in the molded piece. Dust, algae, leaves, or whatever
could be blocking it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"PRW" wrote in message
[...]

You have gotten a lot of good advice. I just wanted to be sure that you
understand that the water runs off the inside coil down into a tray or just
the bottom of the unit. From there it MUST find its way through the unit
into the outside section. Many (most?) units have a slinger on the outside
fan that throws the water on the outside coil. This evaporates the water and
cools the coil. Some units only have a drain for the water and I think most
have at least an overflow drain.

The water passage from inside to outside is very small and often gets
clogged. Sometimes it is only a slot under the bulkhead. If you make a big
hole it will pass a lot of air as well as the water. Just figure out where
the proper passage is and clean it out. It does not take a lot of slope on
the unit; at least some manufacturers suggest a level installation.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to PRW, 2017BC wrote:
I see this is an old thread but I have the same problem. The ac unit is
spitting water out of the inside vents. I suspect that the foam housing around
the inner fan and coils is filled with water from the deluges of rain we have
had this year. On the outside the area at the back is bone dry so the water
has to be trapped inside the foam housing. Anyone have any ideas on how to get
it out and ways to prevent wind blown rain from filling it up again?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-370361-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 15, 2017 at 6:14:07 PM UTC-4, 2017BC wrote:
replying to PRW, 2017BC wrote:
I see this is an old thread but I have the same problem. The ac unit is
spitting water out of the inside vents. I suspect that the foam housing around
the inner fan and coils is filled with water from the deluges of rain we have
had this year. On the outside the area at the back is bone dry so the water
has to be trapped inside the foam housing. Anyone have any ideas on how to get
it out and ways to prevent wind blown rain from filling it up again?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-370361-.htm

Is it pitched slightly downhill going outside?

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to HeyBub, Michelle wrote:
I also have styrofoam in mine window unit I bought it last summer and it's an
arctic king from Walmart. But yes it also came with styrofoam around it in the
box but if I was to take my cover off the inside u see lots of styrofoam
honesty when my husband installed it. So actually kinda tore some I'll make
sure the next one doesn't have it but no yes it will come out but if so u have
torn or broken it. Mine isn't draining I've cleaned it for two days a
different one so I was looking for answers and seen this thanks for all the
advice everyone but they keep making the newer ones cheaper and cheaper as far
as materials. Super kind of u to answer though but yes mine has the same
materials

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-370361-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ed Pawlowski, Michelle wrote:
Everyone keeps saying drain pans I have two window units one I have no idea
I'm only 4"11 so can't get to it but the one I'm having issues with is I've
tried everything the water hose, vinegar, coil cleaners it still has about a
two inch spot that keeps dripping it was the whole bottom on the inside now
only a small spot but it's obviously the drain I unclogged the drain yesterday
and after an hour on it was coming down on my bed and wall so at this point
I'm just not using it. Also everyone say clean ur drain line okay I have a
hole on the outside I've cleaned it. Water poured out today I did the same but
no water. It doesn't have a spot to pour something threw it to clean the drain
pipe. Mind u I've cleaned the drain but used something long and thin it's not
stopped up now so I don't know why it's dripping in the house. My wall is
starting to show signs of water because it's drained so much while I wasn't at
home. I'm giving up hopefully husband can fix but it harvest season in my
state so don't see that happening anytime soon.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-370361-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Don Young, Michelle wrote:
I have no tray in either ac units both 110's one isn't a year old the other is
but it normally works better than the new one everyone say tray tray I looked
at my book. I have NO trays and tried everything good luck to anyone with
draining issues

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-370361-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

There may not be an actual "tray", just the bottom sheet metal. Be sure there is adequate slope from the inside to lower on the outside so any moisture is directed to flow toward the outside. Look for some sort of drain hole somewhere on the bottom outside of the unit and make sure it is clear so any condensation can flow out through the hole and not be blow into the inside of the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/10/2017 5:44 PM, Michelle wrote:
replying to Ed Pawlowski, Michelle wrote:
Everyone keeps saying drain pans I have two window units one I have no idea
I'm only 4"11 so can't get to it but the one I'm having issues with is I've
tried everything the water hose, vinegar, coil cleaners it still has
about a
two inch spot that keeps dripping it was the whole bottom on the inside now
only a small spot but it's obviously the drain I unclogged the drain
yesterday
and after an hour on it was coming down on my bed and wall so at this point
I'm just not using it. Also everyone say clean ur drain line okay I have a
hole on the outside I've cleaned it. Water poured out today I did the
same but
no water. It doesn't have a spot to pour something threw it to clean the
drain
pipe.Â* Mind u I've cleaned the drain but used something long and thin
it's not
stopped up now so I don't know why it's dripping in the house. My wall is
starting to show signs of water because it's drained so much while I
wasn't at
home. I'm giving up hopefully husband can fix but it harvest season in my
state so don't see that happening anytime soon.

Is the AC sitting level? If it has tilt to the inside it will leak.
Usually the drain pan inside makes the water flow to the outside, but
your may need a little tilt to the back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Michelle, Bobby wrote:
check that it is installed level or a slight pitch to the outside.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-370361-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to IlBeBauck, pakeba wrote:
Can the water cause mold to grow and blow out of the air conditioner?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-370361-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/16/2018 6:14 PM, pakeba wrote:
replying to IlBeBauck, pakeba wrote:
Can the water cause mold to grow and blow out of the air conditioner?

Water does not cause mold but can help it grow and spread if there is any.