Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

Default How to patch vinyl pool?

I have an above ground vinyl pool, 12" x 30. I stored the liner in my
basement over the winter. Unfortunately, and unbeknownst to me, my cats
chewed on it all winter long, and the liner now has hundreds of tooth holes
in it. A replacement liner costs more then the pool itself did, and I don't
have the money for a new pool. I also have two very dissapointed little
girls. I'm not unwilling to try to patch it. Does anyone know where I could
get a large sheet of the right kind of vinyl to patch a pool with a vinyl
liner? And am I correct that pvc glue can be used? I got the pvc glue idea
from the manufactures website, they say to use PVC or silicon based glue to
patch it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

I just realized that shower curtains are vinyl. And pvc glue is cheap and
easy to come by, I have a quart in my garage. Could it be that easy? I have
nothing to loose - if I can't patch the liner, then the entire pool goes in
the trash.

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
I have an above ground vinyl pool, 12" x 30. I stored the liner in my
basement over the winter. Unfortunately, and unbeknownst to me, my cats
chewed on it all winter long, and the liner now has hundreds of tooth holes
in it. A replacement liner costs more then the pool itself did, and I don't
have the money for a new pool. I also have two very dissapointed little
girls. I'm not unwilling to try to patch it. Does anyone know where I could
get a large sheet of the right kind of vinyl to patch a pool with a vinyl
liner? And am I correct that pvc glue can be used? I got the pvc glue idea
from the manufactures website, they say to use PVC or silicon based glue to
patch it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Jul, 12:19, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal
dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote:
I have an above ground vinyl pool, 12" x 30. I stored the liner in my
basement over the winter. Unfortunately, and unbeknownst to me, my cats
chewed on it all winter long, and the liner now has hundreds of tooth holes
in it. A replacement liner costs more then the pool itself did, and I don't
have the money for a new pool. I also have two very dissapointed little
girls. I'm not unwilling to try to patch it. Does anyone know where I could
get a large sheet of the right kind of vinyl to patch a pool with a vinyl
liner? And am I correct that pvc glue can be used? I got the pvc glue idea
from the manufactures website, they say to use PVC or silicon based glue to
patch it.

How large is large? This site carries 18" x 24" patches. $12US (plus
S&H?) for patch and glue
https://secure3.milestechnologies.co...ategoryID=1 3

or

Find a whole bunch of little Dutch boys, fingers at the ready, and
have them plug each hole. Yeah, you'll have to feed them and all that,
but your little girls will be so proud of daddy for fixing their pool.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

The holes are pinholes - kitten tooth size, quite small. They chewed in
areas of about 6" across, so I would probably need 20-30 6" patches. Though
I kinda like the Dutch Boy solution :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Jul, 12:57, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal

https://secure3.milestechnologies.co...ts/details.asp...

or

Find a whole bunch of little Dutch boys, fingers at the ready, and
have them plug each hole. Yeah, you'll have to feed them and all that,
but your little girls will be so proud of daddy for fixing their pool.

The holes are pinholes - kitten tooth size, quite small. They chewed in
areas of about 6" across, so I would probably need 20-30 6" patches. Though
I kinda like the Dutch Boy solution :-) - Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Ook wrote:

I just realized that shower curtains are vinyl. And pvc glue is cheap and
easy to come by, I have a quart in my garage. Could it be that easy? I have
nothing to loose - if I can't patch the liner, then the entire pool goes in
the trash.

I think you generally have the right idea, but I would use glue for
vinyl sheets, not PVC pipe, as the pipe glue probably dries too stiff.
Try a pool supply store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

20 - 30 6" patches is 20 - 30 possible chances for error - more than
likely resulting in at least 1 error accomplished.

Even 1 out of 30 patch failures is going to be a problem and with kids
jumping in and out of the pool, I can imagine many more failures.

Dump it - buy a new one. It may be a challenge you wish to undertake
from an emotional standpoint, but is it really worth the time and
energy, knowing that you probably can't expect all 30 patches to hold
water?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

20 - 30 6" patches is 20 - 30 possible chances for error - more than
likely resulting in at least 1 error accomplished.

Even 1 out of 30 patch failures is going to be a problem and with kids
jumping in and out of the pool, I can imagine many more failures.

Dump it - buy a new one. It may be a challenge you wish to undertake
from an emotional standpoint, but is it really worth the time and
energy, knowing that you probably can't expect all 30 patches to hold
water?

You may be right, but at this point I have a vinyl shower curtain I can use
for patch material, I have acetone and primer for cleaner, I have plenty of
pvc glue, and I *don't* have the money to buy another pool. I either fix
this one, or they spend the summer in the el-cheapo 6' x 8" plastic Wal-Mart
special that is sitting under the apple tree

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Never had to patch a pool, Eh?

It's not that hard if you have the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message

The holes are pinholes - kitten tooth size, quite small. They chewed in
areas of about 6" across, so I would probably need 20-30 6" patches.

Though
I kinda like the Dutch Boy solution :-)

Here's a copy of my previous post on this subject. You're going to need the
ides in order for a 6" patch to hold.

Here it goes... read till end. Hope this helps!

"Ignoramus5268" wrote in message
We have a vinyl inflatable pool. Similar in appearance to a pool
pictured he

http://brandsonsale.esellerproimages...4/hg000215.jpg

A 5 year old derelict friend of my 6 year old son kid threw a sparkler
firework in it when it was empty. He burned a hole in the bottom about
1x1.5 inches (the hole is a curvy "line" burned through, not a round
hole).

I would like to know if the hole can be realistically repaired, to
last at least through the end of the summer. I am aware of existence
of vinyl repair kits, but am not sure how well they work.

thanks

Yes, you can patch the hole and it will last for quite some time.

The pool company has patch material that pretty much matches the material
they use on the bottom. Cut the patch in a circle and use a special glue.
Most glues that are any good will allow you to repair the hole/cut wet or
dry.

The glue I just used was a generic glue that has "Vinyl Pool Repair
Adhesive - works underwater" on the tube.

After you get the patch cut and the surface cleaned. Quickly apply the glue
to the patch, then cover the hole or cut. You want to make sure you hold it
in place for a short time to make sure the edge stays down on the surface.
The patches like to curve up after you install them to the pools surface.

I have patched these exact pools several times. I just got done fixing the
tube at the top. It had a nice 1 1/2" cut from my cat. She felt she had to
find out what that big blue round thing was in the yard!!!!

I will tell you how I fixed this one, as it was impossible to hold the patch
over the complete area (by hand) till the glue started to set (this has to
do with the edges curling up).

What I did was to get a clamp (I used a 6" Quick-Grip bar clamp by Vise Grip
#00506) Then get a couple items that are the same size (or a little bigger)
than the hole/cut (I used a couple pieces of wood). Than a piece of wax
paper. Clean the area, apply glue to patch, cover hole/cut, then lay the wax
paper over the patch, then apply the 'hard' backing to each side and clamp
the whole thing with the clamp. Let this set for a few hours (better if it's
left overnight). Then after the glue is set you can remove the clamp and
backing pieces (wood) and the wax paper can be gently pulled from the top of
the patch. Just be careful when you pull it off as it doesn't pull the patch
with it.

Since your hole is on the bottom of the pool, I would recommend the you use
a couple concrete blocks to hold your patch. This will provide enough
pressure to hold the patch in place and let you get to both sides with a
flat object (to sandwich everything inbetween).

It's also better to use "too much glue" as apposed to "too little glue".

Hope this helps and NO I still have the cat! :-)

Good Luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
I have an above ground vinyl pool, 12" x 30. I stored the liner in my
basement over the winter. Unfortunately, and unbeknownst to me, my cats
chewed on it all winter long, and the liner now has hundreds of tooth holes
in it. A replacement liner costs more then the pool itself did, and I don't
have the money for a new pool. I also have two very dissapointed little
girls. I'm not unwilling to try to patch it. Does anyone know where I could
get a large sheet of the right kind of vinyl to patch a pool with a vinyl
liner? And am I correct that pvc glue can be used? I got the pvc glue idea
from the manufactures website, they say to use PVC or silicon based glue to
patch it.

I give up. Uncle. Mama. Surrender. Too many holes. K-Mart. $119.00. Same
pool. Cheaper then buying a liner. Don't want to spend all day patching
holes, only to find a hundred more that I missed.

I lifted the liner up and looked through it. Swiss cheese. Amazing what
those little rats did to it, chewing on it like they did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Now they're rats?????? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

I give up. Uncle. Mama. Surrender. Too many holes. K-Mart. $119.00. Same
pool. Cheaper then buying a liner. Don't want to spend all day patching
holes, only to find a hundred more that I missed.

I lifted the liner up and looked through it. Swiss cheese. Amazing what
those little rats did to it, chewing on it like they did.

Now they're rats?????? :-)

I have 4 cats. I sometimes call them rats. I have two children living with
me. I sometimes call them rats, also :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
I give up. Uncle. Mama. Surrender. Too many holes. K-Mart. $119.00.

Same
pool. Cheaper then buying a liner. Don't want to spend all day patching
holes, only to find a hundred more that I missed.

I lifted the liner up and looked through it. Swiss cheese. Amazing what
those little rats did to it, chewing on it like they did.

Now they're rats?????? :-)

I have 4 cats. I sometimes call them rats. I have two children living with
me. I sometimes call them rats, also :-)

Hehehehe...

Glad to hear you was able to get them a pool. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

I lifted the liner up and looked through it. Swiss cheese. Amazing
what
those little rats did to it, chewing on it like they did.

Now they're rats?????? :-)

I have 4 cats. I sometimes call them rats. I have two children living
with
me. I sometimes call them rats, also :-)

Hehehehe...

Glad to hear you was able to get them a pool. :-)

It's worse then that. We *had* a 12' x 30" pool. Mama gets to K-Mart where
they have the same pool on sale, and sees a 15' x 42" pool on sale for $300.
We went from "don't have money for a new pool" to "what's an extra $300?".
Mama is happy, kids are happy, and I'm flat broke :-). Plus I have a one
year old 12' x 30" pool that goes in the trash because the cost of a new
liner exceeds the cost of a new pool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Hehe...

What kind of 12' x 30" pool requires a liner?

I hope the new pool is an Intec?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

Hehe...

What kind of 12' x 30" pool requires a liner?

I hope the new pool is an Intec?

The old pool was an Intec, above ground, metal frame, vinyl liner. We called
them and told them what happened, and they said they would replace the liner
if it was under warranty, but the warranty is only 90 days. K-Mart here has
them on sale for $119. To get a liner by itself costs more then that. The
new pool is Intec (I think), same construction, just bigger (and more $$
ouch).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Never had to patch a pool, Eh?

It's not that hard if you have the time.

Yep!

I was able to patch a waterbed that leaked at a corner.

A pool liner patch (with the water "helping") should work quite well. Any
residual leaks might well seal themselves as the leak path would be "under
the patch and thru the hole" with some glue along the way.

It would look like hell but since the liner overall was in good shape, he
should not have leak after leak as you might have with an old liner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ook, Grammar Matters wrote:
Nothing to LOSE*.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ol-231241-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 15:14:01 +0000, Grammar Matters wrote:

replying to Ook, Grammar Matters wrote:
Nothing to LOSE*.

In the *NINE YEARS* since Ook wrote that, the pool collapsed, filled with
dirt, and four trees have grown to 30 feet tall.

Don't you HomeownersNubs _ever_ look at dates???

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Sam Hill, Mason Carpenter wrote:
Nubs! Lol

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ol-231241-.htm

pool plaster patch question HamNCheese Home Repair 3 March 27th 07 05:01 AM
patch diamond brite pool spots? parangles Home Repair 0 March 13th 07 06:31 PM
Supply 24 Port Patch Panels,24 Patch Panels,24 Port UTP Patch Panels,24 Port Cat5e Patch Panels,RJ45 Patch Panels,Modular Patch Panels [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 1st 06 09:28 AM
Pool Vinyl Supplier Mike Home Repair 1 June 26th 05 07:57 AM
Glue for vinyl siding patch ZZonka Tonka Home Repair 5 October 29th 04 01:58 AM