Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Has anyone tried that 5 Second Fix (from TV commerical)

Has anyone tried that 5 Second Fix (from TV commerical).

I dont normally pay much attention to commercials, but this looks
interesting. I have never found any glue that works well on plastics.
This stuff is supposed to glue all plastics as well as wood, metal,
glass and other stuff. From the commercial, it appears to be a liquid
which needs their UV light to harden it. (I wonder why that light makes
it harden?).

They say in the commercial that it's [quote] Not a Glue! Super Powered
Liquid Plastic Welding Compound".

If it works as well as they say, I'd be interested, even at what seems
to be a high price to me ($20.00).

But I cant think of all the times I've wanted to glue plastics and
nothing has really worked very well. Car taillights, plastic parts
inside cars, plastic tool parts, kids toys, broken off plastic tabs
inside electronics, (are just a few things that come to mind).
I know when I bumped my truck into a round hay bale, it broke a piece
off my taillight, which I tried to glue with epoxy. That fix did not
last long, so it cost me $80 for a new red lens. (I hate getting pulled
over by the cops for stuff like this). So, I would have gladly paid $20
for this stuff (if it works)....

I am NOT advertising for them, spamming, or affiliated with that
company. I'm just looking for feedback on this product. Commercials
always make things sound better than they are, but sometimes a product
is really worthwhile.... Maybe this one is? Or not?

Their website:
www.5secondfix.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2015 11:46 PM, wrote:
[...]

Looks like the same stuff as bondic.
I wanted to try it, but the $20 turned me off.
Reviewers claimed you didn't get very much of the stuff.
Also, it won't cure where the light can't go. Notice that
the pictures show bonding clear stuff.
Several people claimed you could do as well with super glue
and baking soda.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2015 02:46 AM, wrote:
Has anyone tried that 5 Second Fix (from TV commerical).

Their website:
www.5secondfix.com

We've used Loctite's UV adhesive for years to glue together rapid prototype parts. Works well for that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 00:49:33 -0800, mike wrote:

On 11/17/2015 11:46 PM, wrote:
Has anyone tried that 5 Second Fix (from TV commerical).

I dont normally pay much attention to commercials, but this looks
interesting. I have never found any glue that works well on plastics.
This stuff is supposed to glue all plastics as well as wood, metal,
glass and other stuff. From the commercial, it appears to be a liquid
which needs their UV light to harden it. (I wonder why that light makes
it harden?).

The dentist glued something to my teeth and seemed to use a UV light
to ?? harden it. It was a little gun, with a round bluish plastic 4"
circle between the "muzzle" and the handle. But the dentist failed me
in several other ways and we don't talk to each other anymore, so I
can't ask him.

[...]

Makes sense, but the dentist aimed the light at me from maybe a foot
in front of my mouth. Most of the glue was behind my teeth, so even
then I wondered how that was supposed to work. I had one or two
loose lower middle teeth and he glued a silver "splint" to four teeth.
That part worked well for 3 years but he may have been negligent in
his neglect of some of my other teeth. But I didn't know that. The
problem I recognized started when I had a problem and called his
emergency number at 5:15 on a Friday, and they didnt' call me back
until 4:30 the following Friday. Then later he glued something on
wrong, so something was jabbing me sharply in my lip. That fell off
after two days (sunday) and he did it again, no better. Still
jabbing me. I emailed him Thursday night, and he didn't call until
Saturday, and he called the number where I said I'd be Friday morning.
He left a message saying he was out of town, would be back later that
day and would call me, and he never did. Unbelievable.

Then I wrote an email asking for more details on the two treatment
plans he had emailedl me months ago, with no narrative, just charts
and abbreviations and prices, and he never replied to the email.
Unbelievable. The email was demanding, especially since I see that
other dentists' treatment plans aren't much different**, but that was
the first crap I'd ever given him. Before that I was always polite
and didnt' even get around to complaining about the first time he
never called back. **But they had both discussed it with me in their
office, and answered questions and would have answered more. He did
none of that.

I was thinking of going to his office to get his attention. Not that
I want him as a dentist anymore, but to remind him what a jerk he is.
Good idea?

Notice that
the pictures show bonding clear stuff.
Several people claimed you could do as well with super glue
and baking soda.

I've never been able to glue anything with super glue, not even my
fingers.

Jack wrote:
We've used Loctite's UV adhesive for years to glue together rapid prototype parts. Works well for that.

That's probably the same thing, but it seems to be expensive too.

What did you use for UV when you used that? This thing comes with a
UV light of some sort.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 04:11:15 -0500, Jack
wrote:

On 11/18/2015 02:46 AM, wrote:
Has anyone tried that 5 Second Fix (from TV commerical).

Their website:
www.5secondfix.com

We've used Loctite's UV adhesive for years to glue together rapid prototype parts.

Parts made out of what?

Works well for that.

http://www.cureuv.com/loctite-352-uv...FdcegQodlawDMA

$55 for 50 ml.

UV / Heat Activator Adhesive.

This UV Structural adhesive resists vibration and impact. This acrylic
adhesive bonds and seals glass, glass to metal and metal filled
adhesive-coated materials. It can also be used to encase items in
adhesive (*potting). Color is amber. Bonding time can be accelerated
with Activator.

When exposed to ultraviolet (UV) light, these adhesives harden in
seconds. These products are VOC compliant in all 50 states.

Doesn't mention plastic but maybe not exactly the same thing. Doesn't
include UV light. Your post makes the thing on TV sound like it
might be great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2015 11:46 PM, wrote:
[...]

I used it on a glass dildo and I worked great!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 01:46:54 -0600, wrote:

Has anyone tried that 5 Second Fix (from TV commerical).

I dont normally pay much attention to commercials, but this looks
interesting. I have never found any glue that works well on plastics.
This stuff is supposed to glue all plastics as well as wood, metal,
glass and other stuff. From the commercial, it appears to be a liquid
which needs their UV light to harden it. (I wonder why that light makes
it harden?).

I checked Ebay and Amazon out of curiousity. It's not a unique
product. There are quite a few UV glues or adhesives at either place.
There was a bobber fish finder on the All American Makers show awhile
back.
The investor decided to back it instead of the other products. I thought
it might be a one off deal. Well, I was wrong again. There were a few
others on Amazon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2015 2:46 AM, wrote:
[...]

I like to match the adhesive to the job.
Don't know what this stuff is or how it holds up.

In your case, lens would be either acrylic or polycarbonate.
Both are soluble in some common glue solvents which should help the
bond. Even old Duco cement might be better than epoxy.

The dental glues are normally acrylic and would work but don't know what
this one is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Paintedcow, Sumgirl52 wrote:
Have used 5 second fix to repair brittle hard plastics. Clear product is
repositionable to get parts aligned properly. When ready, set the product by
exposing it to uv light provided. A true plastic weld that's easy to use & get
it right the first time when lining up multi pieces.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...al-855348-.htm